News: BTB: What The Heck Were The Cowboys Coaches Thinking On Giants Final Drive?

Zman5

Reaction score
JG and his crew probably thought the Gint would pass in that situation since that's what he would have done.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can only make so much chicken salad so often when your main ingredients are chicken crap and chicken crap by-products.

Sydla

Reaction score
You can only make so much chicken salad so often when your main ingredients are chicken crap and chicken crap by-products.

The excuse making for Marinelli does make me chuckle.

I think most levelheaded fans would agree we have talent issues at defense. So with that in mind, the last thing this defense needs is for the coordinator to compound the problem and make dumb play calls.

But that's what Marinelli did. And the more bizarre thing is that it took him a few plays to realize what the Giants were doing before he changed up:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
What is his point? You have to match, you're playing a veteran Super Bowl Qb, the moment you bring those guys down , they beat you over the top for a 1st or Td. Game over.
Even if they scored we would be down 8 points. With more time and 3 timeouts

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The excuse making for Marinelli does make me chuckle.

I think most levelheaded fans would agree we have talent issues at defense. So with that in mind, the last thing this defense needs is for the coordinator to compound the problem and make dumb play calls.

But that's what Marinelli did. And the more bizarre thing is that it took him a few plays to realize what the Giants were doing before he changed up:

IMO I think he does deserve some of the blame when it comes to the lack of quality personnel on the defensive line. He had they chance to get a good DT before in the first round but did not want him as he thought he was a 1 vs a 3...hate to tell him we could use a big body run stuff in the middle at the one instead of just trying to find them at a yard sale. Even if you do want a pass rushing threat at three.

I am pretty sure that if he lobbied jerry hard enough they would draft defensive linemen higher. Have no doubt he was a major player in wanting Gregory and DLaw...too bad they can't keep clean.

So part of this problem is on him as well.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
It is easy to say now. The reality is that the Giants were only up by one and they still had to score so the Cowboys can tie or win with a TD. They were only killing the clock because the Cowboys started using the timeouts.

If they didn't gain yards on that first play and if the Cowboys let the clock run, I believe that they were going to pass on 2nd down.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
IMO I think he does deserve some of the blame when it comes to the lack of quality personnel on the defensive line. He had they chance to get a good DT before in the first round but did not want him as he thought he was a 1 vs a 3...hate to tell him we could use a big body run stuff in the middle at the one instead of just trying to find them at a yard sale. Even if you do want a pass rushing threat at three.

I am pretty sure that if he lobbied jerry hard enough they would draft defensive linemen higher. Have no doubt he was a major player in wanting Gregory and DLaw...too bad they can't keep clean.

So part of this problem is on him as well.
Do you really think he wanted Gregory? He doesn't really embody the high-motor quality that Rod values so highly.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It just isn't surprising anymore, these type things are an every game occurrence and have become the norm.

Same as it ever was....same as it ever was.......

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I was screaming at the TV when I saw that we only had two damn linebackers on the field. Of course the TV didn't respond back, but it was ridiculous.

Everybody knew what they were going to do and we only had six men in the box. It's idiotic and it's not the first time this crap has happened.

roughneck266

Reaction score
It was a pick your poison situation. Go light on coverage and you can bet Eli would have targeted Beckham, Cruz or Shephard for a big gain.
Mt thoughts exactly. They lined up to pass, if Rod had loaded up for the run Sheli would simply have thrown over the top and the game would have been out of reach much faster. Our interior line and linebackers should be able to stop a run, at least much closer to the line of scrimmage than they did on the series in question.