News: BTB: What The Heck Were The Cowboys Coaches Thinking On Giants Final Drive?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I cant wait till Rod is gone. He is living off his reputation now

It appears he's doing a decent job with what he has. How many DCs do we need to go thru to understand we need better players and depth?

It seems premature to evaluate him after one game we could have won with better offense esp in light of the fact Lawrence and Gregory are not around.

IF he is telling the FO and Garrett to spend resources elsewhere then he should be gone. Somehow that scenario seems remote to me.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Maybe Marinelli is not great now, but he certainly has a track record. I am of the opinion that if the GM finds him good players who fit his system, he will put together a very good defense. We had the same arguments about Mike Zimmer, Wade Phillips, and Rob Ryan (ok maybe you were right about Rob Ryan). If only there was some way to link all these guys together. Zimmer put together a very good defense once leaving Dallas, Same with Wade Phillips in two spots after leaving Dallas.

I wonder what the issue was in Dallas? It is not rocket science guys.....

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Marinelli has been overrated for a while. Only eleven TOs last year - although not proof - is evidence that this is the case. He can still get angry like the best of them though.

Sydla

Reaction score
And when Dallas brings in another linebacker, the Giants bring in another receiver so.....

The Giants aren't going 4 WRs in that situation. If they do, they would have to take out a TE or their TB and they weren't going to do that because they wanted to run the ball in that situation.

Note the trends now. Garrett comes out and admits the Giants D dictated to us what we should do. And now it appears the Giants O dictated to our defense what to do.

Essentially, we have a coaching staff that isn't aggressive and doesn't try to impose on the opposition. Their philosophy is take what the other team is giving us and hope that's enough to squeak out a win.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
usa-today-8291270.0.jpg

You have to question the strategy of a team that won’t adjust and take chances based on the situation.

Rod Marinelli gets about as much respect as any Cowboys coach, not just from Dallas fans, but around the league. It’s deserved, too, as he consistently creates more from the Cowboys defense than their roster-talent would indicate is possible. So taking shots at him, and by extension Jason Garrett for allowing what happened to happen, is painful. But this can’t go unchallenged. The Cowboys were out-coached on the Giants final drive that killed three minutes off the clock, and it’s all because the Cowboys were unwilling to alter a basic scheme on defense based on the context of the game.

When the Cowboys punted the ball back to the Giants with 3:57 left on the clock in the fourth quarter, the Giants led 20-19. It’s hard to believe that anybody wasn’t thinking that the Giants were going to try and run the ball. They were either going to run out the clock on the ground, or at the very least they were going to force the Cowboys to burn their timeouts.

The Giants had a fair amount of success running the ball up the middle on the Cowboys throughout the evening, Shane Vereen had gouged them for runs of 10 and nine yards on the Giants previous drive, the touchdown drive. It wasn’t a mystery what they were going to try. Yet the Cowboys played it like it was the middle of the second quarter instead of the end of the game.

They let the Giants dictate the terms of their defense with the personnel groupings, instead of going to a run-heavy defense and daring the Giants to throw the ball. Let me illustrate in pictures.

First and 10 at the Giants 23-yard line. The Giants come out in 11 personnel and line up in the shotgun. They are obviously trying to disguise the fact they’re going to run the ball by showing what is usually a passing formation. Unbelievably, the Cowboys buy it and line up their personnel to match like it’s the middle of the second quarter.

Drive%20Play%201.jpg

[content shortened by staff]

Continue reading...

Its like everything else with the Cowboys. The other team dictates what WE do. Never the other way around.

Sydla

Reaction score
The defense is a combo of being under-talented and having a DC, that IMO, is past his expiration date.

Frankly, if this season ends up flatlining and we are 8-8 or worse, I think we need a complete and total purge of the coaching staff. Sadly, I know it won't come. As someone said, Garrett would probably survive any scenario and they would just make Linehan or Marinelli or both the scapegoats.

HanD

Reaction score
What is his point? You have to match, you're playing a veteran Super Bowl Qb, the moment you bring those guys down , they beat you over the top for a 1st or Td. Game over.

the point is it ISN"T game over. the giants score and they are up by 8 with 3 minutes left. that's better than letting them gash you with runs to kill the clock until there is little to no time left.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This will be a fun thread.

Oh yeah!

Let's clear house. Just fire most of the coaches and many of the players. We can get scrubs to play this well for pennies on the dollar. Overthrow the Jones Dynasty!
That'll learn'em to play and coach better.

Know what. The heck with that. I want blood!

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
That is pretty damning. I completely agree with BTB here. You want to dare them to pass, heck even if they score you get the ball back with timeouts. I really don't think the Giants would have thrown the ball down the field even if they had the personnel advantage. I could see Eli checking out of a run to something short and safe, but then you need to trust your players to make plays.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh yeah!

Let's clear house. Just fire most of the coaches and many of the players. We can get scrubs to play this well for pennies on the dollar. Overthrow the Jones Dynasty!
That'll learn'em to play and coach better.

Know what. The heck with that. I want blood!

You get a Like for the Tombstone reference! Man I love that movie!

:clap:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is pretty damning. I completely agree with BTB here. You want to dare them to pass, heck even if they score you get the ball back with timeouts. I really don't think the Giants would have thrown the ball down the field even if they had the personnel advantage. I could see Eli checking out of a run to something short and safe, but then you need to trust your players to make plays.

It's a blunder, plain and simple. And kudos to them for calling the coach out on it.

People want to continue to defend Marinelli and use the 'cupboard is bare' excuse for him, but the fact is that he's been involved in the decision-making process and has a significant say in who's on this team. Anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. If he was this poor soul forced to deal with scraps, he wouldn't be here. Unless you want to make the case that he's a gutless sheep just going along with everything to collect a paycheck. Either scenario doesn't paint him in a good light.

He got pass rushers last year and still did little to mount an effective pass rush. And the guys on this roster are here because he wants them here. And Crawford got that big contract because Marnielli believed that he could be his 'Warren Sapp' here in Dallas.

Sorry, but the only 'results' I'm seeing is a perpetually undersized, up-the-field-at-all-costs defensive line getting gashed by the run while mounting little to nothing in the way of pass rush.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
The Giants aren't going 4 WRs in that situation. If they do, they would have to take out a TE or their TB and they weren't going to do that because they wanted to run the ball in that situation.

Note the trends now. Garrett comes out and admits the Giants D dictated to us what we should do. And now it appears the Giants O dictated to our defense what to do.

Essentially, we have a coaching staff that isn't aggressive and doesn't try to impose on the opposition. Their philosophy is take what the other team is giving us and hope that's enough to squeak out a win.
Don't forget having a good kicker.

reddyuta

Reaction score
People still love that senile old fool.he has no idea what he is doing.

reddyuta

Reaction score
It's a blunder, plain and simple. And kudos to them for calling the coach out on it.

People want to continue to defend Marinelli and use the 'cupboard is bare' excuse for him, but the fact is that he's been involved in the decision-making process and has a significant say in who's on this team. Anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. If he was this poor soul forced to deal with scraps, he wouldn't be here. Unless you want to make the case that he's a gutless sheep just going along with everything to collect a paycheck. Either scenario doesn't paint him in a good light.

He got pass rushers last year and still did little to mount an effective pass rush. And the guys on this roster are here because he wants them here. And Crawford got that big contract because Marnielli believed that he could be his 'Warren Sapp' here in Dallas.

Sorry, but the only 'results' I'm seeing is a perpetually undersized, up-the-field-at-all-costs defensive line getting gashed by the run while mounting little to nothing in the way of pass rush.

Contrast that to what the Giants have done on the DL.all 4 are exceptional at stopping the run

bsbellomy

Reaction score
It was a pick your poison situation. Go light on coverage and you can bet Eli would have targeted Beckham, Cruz or Shephard for a big gain.

You have to dare them to try it. If Manning throws incomplete it stops the clock. Kind of like he did last year in week 1.

CWR

Reaction score
It was a pick your poison situation. Go light on coverage and you can bet Eli would have targeted Beckham, Cruz or Shephard for a big gain.

Yes or just as easily found one of the many soft spots in our defense and hit one if those guys for a short pass where they would then turn it up the field for a huge chunk. We were afraid of the pass so they exploited the run. This defense isnt that talented and considering that they still did enough for us to win against a potent offense. Settling for 4 field goals ultimately killed us.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
You do know that the likelihood of them passing was slim to none they wanted to run the clock they did not want to risk an incomplete pass

Apparently dre (and Rod) doesn't understand that the risk of stopping the clock acts as a deterrent to passing.