Bucs interested in Carter

Pooz

Reaction score
the dude was 10-6 ,2 years ago. That's why Gruden is looking at him. Gruden wants to win at all costs. He will look at anyone that will make his football team better. I mean the goal is to win right? QC took a mediocre team to the playoffs. I wish him well. OUT

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
ddh33 said:
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder how exactly the Bucs feel about Simms?
I think it's more a case of Gruden and his admiration for quarterbacks. He collects them like a geek collects Star Trek cards. We'll see if it works out, but I really do wish him all the best.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And just think what Tampa gave up to get Chucky:
The Bucs agreed to give the Raiders 2002 first- and second-round draft picks, a 2003 first-round pick and a 2003 second-round pick. The accompanying cash will help sign those draft picks.

All this after Parcells turned them down. We, of course, got him the next year.

Teehee.:D

LA=Pancakemaker

Benched
Reaction score
Yeah, he's a moron who is considered one of the best offensive minds in the business and won a SB

The d won that game - -wow what an offensive mind - more like less

Monty won that game - the offense just went out and tried not to fxxk up.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
jobberone said:
Yeah, he's a moron who is considered one of the best offensive minds in the business and won a SB.

He sounds as if he might have trouble with players at times but to label him a moron is well....

He is an offensive guru. But he is severely lacking as a Head Coach.

jimmy40

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
A lot of people got the impression that Quincy was a 4th rounder at best based off scouting reports made in March, when he was really moving up the charts in the weeks leading up into the draft after a very good pro-day. This lends credibility to the thought that Oakland, when Gruden was there, really liked Quincydraft and would have selected him in the 2nd round instead of Tuiasosopo. Obvioiusly, Gruden still likes his potential to take him on with so much baggage and Chris Simms in the wings.
He was a reach in the second round only Jerry Jones was going to make.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
I was incredibly tough on Quincy after the disaster during the Arizona game.

I had been one of his admirers, but that sealed it for me. People claimed I had an agenda. It was merely my love for the Cowboys and a desire to see them succeed which caused me to abandon Carter.

He is what he is. A weak-minded individual who has self-destructive tendencies. A man with athletic ability, but is not so overly gifted that he can overcome his character flaws or poor decision making. On and off the field.

This team needed a strong individual to lead us from the depths.

Quincy failed us. He failed himself and the Cowboys.

He is a human being and thus deserves forgiveness.

However, he is what he is, and all the word battles written on all the messageboards were a waste of time.

Just like his tenure here.

A waste of time.

Well put, and exactly my feelings, including me being his supporters, infact probably a big apologist, till Arizona game. It wasn't even after Arizona game that sealed the deal for me. It was his demeanor after that and stuff reported about him that sealed the deal for me.

k19

Reaction score
LikDeez said:
the dude was 10-6 ,2 years ago. That's why Gruden is looking at him. Gruden wants to win at all costs. He will look at anyone that will make his football team better. I mean the goal is to win right? QC took a mediocre team to the playoffs. I wish him well. OUT

Me thinks you have that backwards. I think the teams was 10-6 and took a mediocre QB to the playoffs

Doomsday101

Reaction score
K19 said:
Me thinks you have that backwards. I think the teams was 10-6 and took a mediocre QB to the playoffs

Pretty much how I see it as well. 10-6 was a team accomplishment but QC clearly did not have the numbers that you would expect from a QB who lead his team to a playoffs.

Pooz

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Was Quincy a diamond surrounded by trash?
FUNNY! No, I am just saying can he get ANY credit for that year with Dallas? Can he? It's a team sport but the kid guided a team to a 10-6 record. I appreciate the hell out of it. Is he a great QB no, can he play in the NFL, yes. He had a lot of tape to watch and we invested a lot of time in him. Other coaches realize that and will atleast give him a shot to make a roster spot if it helps one of their 3 QB positions. :D

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx said:
And Gruden has destroyed that once great Tampa team.

Gruden made that team great but he also destroyed it. Under Dungy, the Buc's offense was inconsistent. Gruden made their offense formadible while providing their team with a cocky and self-assured spirit which gave them a mental edge.

The problem is that Gruden's ego got out of control and rather than work with others, he just sought to get rid of anyone who got in his way.

Still, I don't think you can Gruden a terrible coach for this. If you did that then you would have to say Jerry Jones is a terrible owner because he is one responsible for the deterioration of the Cowboys after Johnson left by hiring inept coaches and drafting poorly.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
LikDeez said:
FUNNY! No, I am just saying can he get ANY credit for that year with Dallas? Can he? It's a team sport but the kid guided a team to a 10-6 record. I appreciate the hell out of it. Is he a great QB no, can he play in the NFL, yes. He had a lot of tape to watch and we invested a lot of time in him. Other coaches realize that and will atleast give him a shot to make a roster spot if it helps one of their 3 QB positions. :D

Exactly, I was known as the biggest Quincy Carter hater on this forum in 2003 and even I will admit he is capable of playing in the NFL. I think he is a great backup QB and I did want him on the team last year because it was evident Testaverde was playing with a sore shoulder at times and Quincy could have played well in relief of him. I think we could have won 2-3 more games if Quincy was on the roster. He obviously helped the Jets get into the playoffs by helping them win 2 games.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Vertigo_17 said:
sounds like Campo - good Def Q, bad head coach :)

I don't know. If not for a bad call, the Raiders would have played in the Superbowl the year prior and he did win a Superbowl with a team that Tony Dungy failed every year to even take to the big game.

I think he is a good head coach but I don't think he is the next best thing to sliced bread or low carb beer.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Gruden made that team great but he also destroyed it. Under Dungy, the Buc's offense was inconsistent. Gruden made their offense formadible while providing their team with a cocky and self-assured spirit which gave them a mental edge.

The problem is that Gruden's ego got out of control and rather than work with others, he just sought to get rid of anyone who got in his way.

Still, I don't think you can Gruden a terrible coach for this. If you did that then you would have to say Jerry Jones is a terrible owner because he is one responsible for the deterioration of the Cowboys after Johnson left by hiring inept coaches and drafting poorly.

Gruden was also partly responsible for getting the Raiders to the Superbowl. The guy can X and O very well. He is a coach that can do wonders for a team over a couple of seasons and then the team will get worn down by his antics. That is what many in Oakland and Tampa have said about him.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
LikDeez said:

I was very critical of Carter as a starter. He just didn't have it in my opinion and people would defend him to the bitter end.

However, up until his actions in the last year, I always thought he would be a great #2. Now, I would avoid him at all costs. He seems to have some serious issues.

He does deserve some credit for the 10 wins. He worked hard and earned it. However, I think several other QBs could have done the same thing in the same circumstances. I actually thought Vinny had a better year this year than Carter did last year, but overall record doesn't reflect it.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Some might compare Gruden to Barry Switzer and George Seifert because they won Superbowls and were not considered to be great head coaches.

But unlike boht Switzer and Seifert, the coach Gruden replaced had never won a Superbowl before. Switzer replaced Johnson who won 2 Superbowls and Seifert replaced Walsh who won 3 Superbowls. The Dallas Cowboys and the San Francisco 49ers were much more talented and structured than the Tampa Bay team Gruden inherited.

Lastly, Gruden proved he had success elsewhere. Seifert bombed in his debut with the Carolina Panthers which only reinforces the idea he just managed Bill Walsh's system and players and had the fortune of playing in an easy division as opposed to the NFC East. And Barry Switzer was never approached by another team for a head coaching position when he was released by the Cowboys.