Bunting - Cowboys LOVE T. Smith

JBS

Reaction score
Via twitter

Hearing the #Cowboys "love" #SouthernCal OT Tyron Smith and if he works out well could be their guy at pick 9 #NFLDRAFT

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I'm very okay with this. I hope we address interior OL in the 2nd or 3rd round as well. Danny Watkins or Stefen Wisnuewski...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Ugh. Tyron Smith would be just in line with the way we've been drafting oline players, that's for sure.

TheSport78

Reaction score
TheCount;3886483 said:
Ugh. Tyron Smith would be just in line with the way we've been drafting oline players, that's for sure.

Why do you say this?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hooray. If Smith has a good workout, at the very least he cements a viable option for us at #9. Then we're in a position where anybody sliding is gravy, and we can still get an impact player at a position of need by staying put.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
TheSport78;3886488 said:
Why do you say this?

We have a way of ignoring obvious weaknesses and then being startled when players live up to those weaknesses, just look at Brewster and Marten. We hit on Free, thank goodness, but he wasn't even our first choice in that draft, we took Marten and even Stanback before Free.

TheSport78

Reaction score
TheCount;3886498 said:
We have a way of ignoring obvious weaknesses and then being startled when players live up to those weaknesses, just look at Brewster and Marten. We hit on Free, thank goodness, but he wasn't even our first choice in that draft, we took Marten and even Stanback before Free.

Those were 3rd rounders though. I agree, Dallas has been extremely poor at drafting in the 3rd round, but Tyron Smith could be our franchise left tackle for the next 10 years. He has way more upside and production over players like Marten and Brewster IMO.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this but I want to hear what you think. What is the difference between Smith and Alex Barron coming out as a prospect?

Gaede

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;3886518 said:
I think I know the answer to this but I want to hear what you think. What is the difference between Smith and Alex Barron coming out as a prospect?

They look very similar to me.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
If they truly "loved" him, they wouldn't let that leak out. More pre-draft smoke.

RS12

Reaction score

How bout the concensus is that Barron cant play.

TheFinisher

Reaction score

Barron was stronger at the POA.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
TheSport78;3886488 said:
Why do you say this?

Most likely because he hadn't heard of Tyron Smith until a few weeks ago. Then, after searching for him on YouTube he didn't find highlights clips of him tossing d-linemen in the air like Street Fighter or pancaking backwards like on Madden.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I will be happy if they think he will be a starter because we cant get a tackle in the 1st rd and not start him.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The rap on Baron was always that he was lazy and unmotivated. the rams ignored that and drafted him. Physically he had it all- but as that old phrase went" Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane."

USC put Smith at RT because Kalil is a prototype BIG tackle. Smith is a grown up TE. He has steadily increased in weight and strength. He shows solid determination and motivation.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Between Jerry letting lose that lots of teams are calling about the 9th pick and the way they keep hyping players like Smith, Newton, etc. I suspect that Jerry is actually trying to get the price up for him to trade down. (as he normally does)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
burmafrd;3886627 said:
The rap on Baron was always that he was lazy and unmotivated. the rams ignored that and drafted him. Physically he had it all- but as that old phrase went" Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane."

USC put Smith at RT because Kalil is a prototype BIG tackle. Smith is a grown up TE. He has steadily increased in weight and strength. He shows solid determination and motivation.

This is one reason I'm sold on him and a big thing that most people that point out he was playing RT miss. The guy is clearly coming out a year early, but I think this kid is easily the best tackle in the class AND top five talent in the entire draft.

As I noted earlier. If he were to have waited until next year to declare eligible, he would be a top five pick.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Smith scares my at 9, plus we have so many extra holes.
Also we don't ahve a big need at LT we need a day one starting RT. I think Carimi, Smith, Castanzo, and Sherrod can all play here so why take a RT at 9 when we still need a DE, secondary help, and interior OL.

trading back for extra picks and then getting
Carimi, Sherrod, or Castanzo then being able to get a DE, OG, and CB/FS that can come in and help out is alot better than staying at 9 and taking Smith and missing out on another player.

Whats the difference between adding Carimi, Sherrod, or Castanzo over Smith. All will be RTs for us right now, SMith has never played LT in his career so don't tell me he can play LT. Yeah he might be able to one day but sI can say the same about Sherrod and Castanzo.I have a NFL starting LT in Free who played very well against the top pass rushers inthe NFL this year and will only get better.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
supercowboy8;3886701 said:
Smith scares my at 9, plus we have so many extra holes.
Also we don't ahve a big need at LT we need a day one starting RT. I think Carimi, Smith, Castanzo, and Sherrod can all play here so why take a RT at 9 when we still need a DE, secondary help, and interior OL.

trading back for extra picks and then getting
Carimi, Sherrod, or Castanzo then being able to get a DE, OG, and CB/FS that can come in and help out is alot better than staying at 9 and taking Smith and missing out on another player.

Whats the difference between adding Carimi, Sherrod, or Castanzo over Smith. All will be RTs for us right now, SMith has never played LT in his career so don't tell me he can play LT. Yeah he might be able to one day but sI can say the same about Sherrod and Castanzo.I have a NFL starting LT in Free who played very well against the top pass rushers inthe NFL this year and will only get better.

Again, there is a reason he hasn't played LT. Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he can't. I think there is little doubt, that is where he will be in the NFL when all is said and done.

As for you saying, why draft a LT if we don't need one. I will take two left tackles over one RT and one LT any day. A LT can play RT with some practice. Your LT is always your best tackle, your RT is always the less agile, but big hulking road grader.

Free and Smith as my bookends for the next 10 years? SOLD!

We can always grab a G in the second round and DEs almost anywhere in the draft. Not to mention we can resign some of the ones we already have. The next question would be secondary. (safety specifically)