Bunting - Cowboys LOVE T. Smith

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
silverbear;3887513 said:
So basically, I'm confident in my own brilliance, secure enough that I don't take offense when some poor, simpleminded schlub doesn't have the native wit and perspicacity to agree with my obviously superior take on things...

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

:laugh2:

Always a pleasure doing business, Silver.

I don't take offense either way, don't know about you but I know I have zero pull in the Cowboys War Room so what I say on the forum pretty much disappears into the ether anyway. I just enjoy the conversation.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I guess im cool with taking him @ 9.

It's probably not the move I would make but ill let it play out before I knock it.

I just think Carimi is going to be a heck of a OT and we could add extra picks too.

But Tyron has a lot of ability but like others have said he may get rag doll'd early in his career.

Nightshade

Reaction score
I just think Jerry is trading down if there is ANY opportunity to do so. He ALWAYS trades. It's part of what he loves about owning a football team.

Speculating on talent + Wheeling and dealing in the draft. (He's often wrong but takes it in stride cause... he figures screw it, it's his team.)

signature JJ

Woods

Reaction score
Nightshade;3887720 said:
I just think Jerry is trading down if there is ANY opportunity to do so. He ALWAYS trades. It's part of what he loves about owning a football team.

Speculating on talent + Wheeling and dealing in the draft. (He's often wrong but takes it in stride cause... he figures screw it, it's his team.)

signature JJ

It would be interesting to know the percentage of times JJ has traded up or down in the 1st round since he purchased the team.

He does love wheeling and dealing. It's in his blood.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If your scouts say he's a Top 10 talent, you have faith in them and take him at #9. You pay that scouting department for a reason.

The worst thing you can do is get cute and try to trade back a few spots and have the guy you want snatched from under your nose, forcing you to take a lesser player (see 1996 ... Tony Brackens/Kavika Pittman).

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
InmanRoshi;3888050 said:
If your scouts say he's a Top 10 talent, you have faith in them and take him at #9. You pay that scouting department for a reason.

The worst thing you can do is get cute and try to trade back a few spots and have the guy you want snatched from under your nose, forcing you to take a lesser player (see 1996 ... Tony Brackens/Kavika Pittman).

too true, just stay put and take the best player available. If we like smith then dont try to trade down cos the vikings or lions or hell even the skins may take him. and i'd say that about any prospect we klike

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
IMHO, Camrini is going to be a guard in the NFL in 3 years. The idea of the "right tackle vs. left tackle" archetype is becoming antiquated. Fact is you need two good bookend pass protectors on the perimeter.

More and more NFL teams are moving to the 3-4, more teams a flip flopping their elite pass rushers around based on matchups, more 4 man line sets are using exaggerated 9 techs. There's nowhere to hide an offensive tackle with slow feet.

And, frankly, given Garrett's playcalling tendencies, I'm not sure how important it's going to be to have an elite road grating, run blocking right tackle.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3888050 said:

What the Cowboy Scouts say is not at debate, no one here knows what any team truly thinks of Smith.

In addition, the idea that the scouts never get it wrong is malarky.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
TheCount;3888070 said:

Sweet. No if you could just kindly point out where someone said nobody said scouts never get it wrong.

Of course scouts get it wrong, nobody in the NFL even comes close to batting .500 in the draft. The point is if you don't trust your scouts, there's no point in even having them on the payroll.

I don't know what the scouts truly think of Smith. I do know Hostile claims through his sources that he's probably been the most heavily scouted player the Cowboys have looked at this year, personally scouting each one of his games. I do know that SDogo has said the Cowboys scouts are extremely high on him based on his sources. I do know the Cowboys have scheduled a visit with him, and they have a pretty strong track record of drafting guys they bring in for visits. I do know there's been a lot of smoke linking him to the Cowboys through an assortment of varied national media members. I do know he plays for the alma matter of our vaunted OL coach and "running game coordinator". I think those combined factors have more weight that "It's not true, because I don't want it to be true"

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;3888070 said:
What the Cowboy Scouts say is not at debate, no one here knows what any team truly thinks of Smith.

Scouts are certainly not infallible. The current group has a lot of question marks for sure.

Having said that, I'll kowtow to their experience, their access to inside information via connections and coaching network, their access to coaches film, practice tape and all the games, versus what some run-of-the-mill draft website or web scout says.

The Cowboys have never drafted a lineman this high before The linemen they've taken in recent history (past 5 seasons) have all been in the 3rd round (Brewster & Marten) or later when players have noticable warts/issues. So basically they've been sifting through the muck looking for a gem and they've missed badly.

If they do take a lineman in the 1st round, it will be a telling indicator of their scouting ability IMO. It will be interesting to see who they take when they have the pick of the litter sorta speak.