Burks, Green, Zion I think are the team's targets at 24

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good with Zion or Green as I see them both as top 30ish talents filling our biggest need.

Hard pass on Burks, he’s a project IMO.

Linderbaum? I don’t know what to think. I have some concerns around length and scheme fit. If you tell me we’re running a zone heavy blocking scheme? I’m in. If it’s going to be more of a power, run it straight at you scheme? Pass.
Think Linderbaum is similar to Osa on the other side of the football. Yes, Linderbaum has poor measurements, but you rarely see him get pushed back, he's like Osa is a former wrestler that knows how to use leverage.

Gaede

Reaction score
Burks grades out much higher than Deebo.

I remember tons of ppl here being down on Deebo the prospect. Like Burks, he was not a clean prospect

The draft is not a science. All the efforts to turn it into a numbers game are silly, when there's so much that goes into a players success

Burks would be great for the OC that called the first half of last season. Moore has shown creativity to use a guy like this. I just don't know why he stopped.

rambo2

Reaction score
Another option would be to trade up to 14 and take Jordan Davis.

morasp

Reaction score
I remember tons of ppl here being down on Deebo the prospect. Like Burks, he was not a clean prospect

The draft is not a science. All the efforts to turn it into a numbers game are silly, when there's so much that goes into a players success

Burks would be great for the OC that called the first half of last season. Moore has shown creativity to use a guy like this. I just don't know why he stopped.
As fans we don't really have much more than rankings as a basis of comparison. NFL teams have entire scouting departments that frequently miss.

I liked Deebo that draft but his injuries worried me. Defenses started taking away what we were doing and he didn't adapt. MM talked about his evolution at the combine and the need to have a go to plan when the primary one isn't working.

Last edited:

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Green of the 3 but I don't think it's near that cut and dry. I think 4 OT come off the board in front of Dallas, and that 2 more will go in the first. I think somebody takes Linderbaum before Dallas. I think both Zion and Green will be there. Both guys offer some versatility but to me Green's capacity to play outside trumps Zion's ability to play center. Who's more valuable an OG that can kick out to play OT or an OG who can kick inside to play C? $ wise it's the OG/OT.

The 30 visit stuff is nice and all but not a true indicator. In 2020 Diggs was the only player drafted from the Cowboys 30 visits. They had in receivers Ruggs, Mims, Reagor, Hamler, Pittman, Higgins, Hill, and Hammond that year but drafted Lamb who they never visited with. K'Lavon Chaisson was wined and dined that season and they drafted a receiver that they had not met with instead. In 2021 (Virtual visit year) Parsons said he spoke with neither McCarthy nor Quinn.

There's lots of reasons to bring a guy in for an in person visit and there's plenty of reasons not to as well. I'd imagine they had seen all they needed to see out of Lamb with his game tape. You'd have to be blind not to see it with Parsons, he stunk of talent. I'm guessing it's the same reason they haven't met with Linderbaum, there's really no need. Dallas has done a nice job the last two seasons of letting the draft come to them and taking the most talented player on the board. I'd like to call them smart, but all it's more of a hard lesson learned about reaching for needs from 2019. I don't think Dallas will make that mistake again.

I'd add to this list J. Davis who is exactly the type of player that will drop when teams start jockeying for QBs, OTs, and WRs. Both D. Lloyd and N. Dean could be considered the best players available at their position, each could be available, and each instantly upgrade the defense. Don't write off Ojabo either for a team in need of a pass rusher. This is the same team that draft Jaylon Smith.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
If Dallas takes one of JDavis, Green, Zion, LLoyd, Dean --- for me in that order -- I will be fairly content with Day 1.

If it is anyone else, then I will need to start looking into them because I don't think anyone will be there that would trump one of these 5.

Maybe a WR or OT or DE falls that Dallas thinks would be perfect, but not from what I have seen.

If those 5 above are all taken, and no stud is there, trade down if possible and pick up TJones.

morasp

Reaction score
Overview
Tyshun "Deebo" Samuel lives up to his nickname (it comes from a tough guy in the movie "Friday") and plays each game like he's stepping into an alley fight. While Samuel is tough and competitive, he lacks suddenness and might need scheme help with motion and bunch formations to help free him against NFL man coverage. He is a gamer who thrives once the ball is in his hands, and he might be able to help a team from the slot if he can stay healthy.
Strengths
  • Extremely urgent and competitive
  • Subtle but effective adjustments around attempted route redirection
  • Pre-stem fake often gets defenders to lean or open hips
  • Body control allows for earlier stops and turns in routes
  • Fearless and focused working the middle of the field
  • Possesses strong hands with will to win contested catches
  • Works aggressively back to the football
  • Steams right through arm tackles after the catch
  • Has running back vision with the ball in his hands
  • Surprising build-up speed to separate as open-field runner
  • Four career kick returns for touchdowns
Deebo Samuel Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

cnuball21

Reaction score
Think Linderbaum is similar to Osa on the other side of the football. Yes, Linderbaum has poor measurements, but you rarely see him get pushed back, he's like Osa is a former wrestler that knows how to use leverage.

I think the difference is Osa had 34+ inch arms...the difference doesn't seem like much but arm length is big for OL/DL.

The negatives in Linderbaum's scouting report just give me some angst as a power player, and it's been brought up on a few Cowboys draft podcasts, that the scheme needs to make sense for him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys have been connected with Treylon Burks since the combine. He offers a very unique skillset, where whoever drafts him, must have a plan how to use him. I like the player, but hate the idea of drafting another 1st receiver in a deep class. However, don't think they pass him if on the board as he should be their highest rated player at a position of need. Believe he is the only top receiver who has a chance to be there at 24.

Odds on favorites would be either top Guard: Green or Zion Johnson, unless a player who they didn't expect falls into their laps like a top 5 Edge or a top Tackle. Tony Pauline said yesterday he is hearing that all the tackles will be scooped up early on and Tyler Smith is going to go much higher then many are projecting. I haven't found anything connecting the Cowboys to Smith.

What about Linderbaum? You have to believe he would be the best player on their board over these 3. Are they looking to replace Biaz or looking to give him legitimate competition at the position? Think Left Guard is the bigger need, but it would be interesting to see who they take if both Guards are also on the board.
Long before the Combine, they watched him carry their alma mater to it's best record in years and you can bet they've had conversations with the HC about him as they did about Yosemite..

Funny about these draft reports is how often they're wrong both ways.

The rap on Yosemite was his getting to the 2nd level, which he never had problems with in the NFL. He did not have to get to the second level at WIS because of their run game strategy, hit the hole and go.

Burks had a poor showing at the Combine and I thought that could drop him into that 24 range but I have seen some bringing him back up the board.

I do not want a WR with that 1st but if that's going to happen, I want him. He is a load to tackle but he needs to work on his concentration because dropping anything with those 10" hands is ridiculous.

There is something else about him, that Emmitt quality. Unless he's in a cast, he's playing and doing everything he can for his team. He knew that his QB and he were the only chance for a win and he played with some kind of nagging injury throughout the season and would get a new one, go to the sideline and be back in the game. He became the broadcast guys doing the games favorite player because we do not see enough of that, just tough as hell with no quit.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yay!!!

Let’s go draft the worst route runner in the class with ehh speed.

I honestly just don’t understand the love…even if we were completely void at WR he is not someone I’d like at 24.

People keep saying Deebo as a comp but Deebo has more of a RB build and is a better athlete. I see more Laviska Shenault…who was a fun prospect but def not a 1st rounder.

The Realist

Reaction score
I honestly just don’t understand the love…even if we were completely void at WR he is not someone I’d like at 24.

People keep saying Deebo as a comp but Deebo has more of a RB build and is a better athlete. I see more Laviska Shenault…who was a fun prospect but def not a 1st rounder.

To me he’s built like the Roy Williams (Dallas Safety) of WR’s. It won’t age well.

cnuball21

Reaction score
To me he’s built like the Roy Williams (Dallas Safety) of WR’s. It won’t age well.

I like the size, length and burst but he has miles to go as a route runner. That goes for most college WR prospects but even more for him which scares me.

The Realist

Reaction score
I like the size, length and burst but he has miles to go as a route runner. That goes for most college WR prospects but even more for him which scares me.

You can close your eyes, throw a rock, and draft a good WR in the first 3 round this year. No need draft this non-route running one in the first round.

Aven8

Reaction score
If Burks turned out exactly as you'd hope, you'd have another Dez. I think he lacks Dez's explosiveness and therefore won't be as good in the NFL but that's beside the point. Dak already has shown that he doesn't have much use for a receiver like Dez. He needs guys that get early separation and simply won't throw at a guy who is looking to win 50/50 battles. Why is Burks even in the discussion?

I get what you’re saying but Gallup is a 50/50 ball type of guy too and it works with him.

cowboyec

Reaction score
unless one of those OTs or DEs fall to us...i'd agree.
my dream pick is kenyon green.
love his physicality and versatility.
i think he's a better isaiah wynn.
i'd love burks.
love big,physical receivers.
he impressed in the few arkansas games i watched.
bottom line...you just never know what the draft tide will bring in til you're on the clock.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think the difference is Osa had 34+ inch arms...the difference doesn't seem like much but arm length is big for OL/DL.

The negatives in Linderbaum's scouting report just give me some angst as a power player, and it's been brought up on a few Cowboys draft podcasts, that the scheme needs to make sense for him.
Isn't that what we lack with departed Connor and Biaz? I agree, Linderbaum's physical traits bother me, but he is excellent on tape against top competition playing in the Big Ten. I want a power Guard who can move people in the run game and have a strong anchor so Dak has a pocket to work with.