Burks, Green, Zion I think are the team's targets at 24

Sydla

Reaction score
Burks would be an excellent pick

“Burks isnt the type of receiver Dak excels with”….Dumb statement

You shouldnt want 3 of the same type of receivers on this team. Burks would help this anemic passing offense inside the RZ and is the type of player that shows up in the biggest games, unlike the overrated $20m a year guy that was here the last 3 seasons

Yall will say “another WR with a first rounder…yuck”, but clamor for a guard

Because an OG likely has way more of an impact on this team than a 3rd WR at this point.

Some of the offenses biggest issues can be tied to that OC/LG combo just stinking (bad play, mistakes, bad penalties). Add Burks but still have issues at LG that get compounded with questionable center play? It won't matter who is running routes for us.

Sydla

Reaction score
:laugh:...Burks 4.55 40 @ the combine is scorching.

I have my doubts he gets separation @ the next level...will end up being a role player...and moving to TE.

Yeah he keeps saying this and while you can't put a ton of stock in just raw combine numbers, Deebo's 40, cone drills, etc. were better than Burks. So how is Burks a "faster' Deebo?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Because an OG likely has way more of an impact on this team than a 3rd WR at this point.

Some of the offenses biggest issues can be tied to that OC/LG combo just stinking (bad play, mistakes, bad penalties). Add Burks but still have issues at LG that get compounded with questionable center play? It won't matter who is running routes for us.
1. Burks wouldnt be a “3rd WR”

2. You still have other picks to address the OL

3. If you look at the contracts these receivers are getting ($28m/year), its clear that its the more impactful position

4. Gallup probably wont be himself until 2023

quickccc

Reaction score
I remember tons of ppl here being down on Deebo the prospect. Like Burks, he was not a clean prospect

The draft is not a science. All the efforts to turn it into a numbers game are silly, when there's so much that goes into a players success

Burks would be great for the OC that called the first half of last season. Moore has shown creativity to use a guy like this. I just don't know why he stopped.

Because Deebo is not your conventional WR. He's not gonna be a Cooper Kupp, or Amari feet-hip, double move route runner.

and thankfully Deebo was drafted by a unconventional coaching staff, that knew how to scheme for what Samuels does best.
Otherwise Deebo would be a lesser known name, on a team trying to use him exclusively as a pure pass game WR- one that's not used in the backfield ala jet sweeps, RB or bubble screens
near as schematic as Shanahan's Niners do.

quickccc

Reaction score
if McClay is selecting a WR in the first rd., i think it’ll be because he thinks that WR is a blue chipper, a top 10 overall talent, that’s slips way down to our 24th overall,
ala CeeDee Lamb, in accordance to the value of their draft board. And I’m not hearing that about Burke at all, as a blue chipper.

Deebo wasn’t a 1st rd pick, ..neither was DK Metcalf … neither was Davante Adams,.. Terry McLaurin …AJ Brown,..etc.
it's not all hades and hell if we don't pick a WR in the first with that 24th overall. …

chicago JK

Reaction score
if McClay is selecting a WR in the first rd., i think it’ll be because he thinks that WR is a blue chipper, a top 10 overall talent, that’s slips way down to our 24th overall,
ala CeeDee Lamb, in accordance to the value of their draft board. And I’m not hearing that about Burke at all, as a blue chipper.

Deebo wasn’t a 1st rd pick, ..neither was DK Metcalf … neither was Davante Adams,.. Terry McLaurin …AJ Brown,..etc.
it's not all hades and hell if we don't pick a WR in the first with that 24th overall. …

That is a good point. I was watching SC and they listed the guaranteed money gotten by WR lately in Adams, Hill, and Diggs. I was thinking that none of those guys were first round picks. You can probably do this with every position, but just found it interesting.

I am not saying I won't take a WR in the first round, but it seems like every year know there are 4-5 WR at worst who deserve first round grades....and the depth in the position in drafts typically goes deep. It is a very important position, but it feels like good talent is there every year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we are screwed if we draft wr early. We need to go trenches heavy in the draft. Like last year.

quickccc

Reaction score
we are screwed if we draft wr early. We need to go trenches heavy in the draft. Like last year.

Depends upon the WR ... depends upon the trench men (OL or DL) ... many were raving for us to get a DE, such as LSU's K'Lavon Chaisson - just because we needed one so badly.
But McClay stuck to his board and flat took the very best player on the board, and one that he touted as a blue chip WR in CeeDee Lamb.

Now who would you rather have now .. CeeDee Lamb or K'Lavon Chaisson ?

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Burks is Deebo with speed. Needs 2 work on his routes.
What I would like about the Burks selection is he would compliment Dak. He is big and strong and could win at the line on the shorter routes like Deebo. He looked awesome in that Alabama game.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think if Burks is there he’s the guy. They’ll then take their highest OL available in round 2.​

cnuball21

Reaction score
Depends upon the WR ... depends upon the trench men (OL or DL) ... many were raving for us to get a DE, such as LSU's K'Lavon Chaisson - just because we needed one so badly.
But McClay stuck to his board and flat took the very best player on the board, and one that he touted as a blue chip WR in CeeDee Lamb.

Now who would you rather have now .. CeeDee Lamb or K'Lavon Chaisson ?

But there isn’t a blue chip WR in this class…

Guys like Green / Zion are just as good if not better prospects than the WRs we’re talking about and it’s a bigger need.

Now if a better player Dallas at another position sign me up.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What do you all think of Lloyd out of Utah. I see that he is generally rated as a top 15 prospect and best off ball linebacker. We draft him we might have a young cheap version of Wagner and Parsons could be a full time pass rusher. Something to consider.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

We can go Burks, but that would mean the rest of the draft we'd end up overspending on drafting up to ensure we get a decent Guard.

Personally the Guard (Green or Johnson, not pretending I can distinguish between them, though possibly Green for his affects on the run game) ticks all boxes: BPA (or too marginal to matter), position of need and not reaching at 24.

Gaede

Reaction score
What do you all think of Lloyd out of Utah. I see that he is generally rated as a top 15 prospect and best off ball linebacker. We draft him we might have a young cheap version of Wagner and Parsons could be a full time pass rusher. Something to consider.

To be honest, I'm not a terribly big fan. The highlights are great, but I've seen other plays where he looks like he's jogging or not trying. It's hard to tell if it's an effort thing or an athletic thing. I've seen reports that day he runs flat footed, so that may be it

baltcowboy

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not a terribly big fan. The highlights are great, but I've seen other plays where he looks like he's jogging or not trying. It's hard to tell if it's an effort thing or an athletic thing. I've seen reports that day he runs flat footed, so that may be it
Good points. I have never seen the guy but I remember early in the mocks he was a top 10 picks. His slow 40 at the combine has dropped him. I am thinking the Cowboys brought him in for a 30 visit for a reason.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
First I don't think there plan is to ever move Parsons to a full time edge rusher, even Jerry said it makes it more difficult to figure out what we are doing if we don't define him a position. As for Lloyd, we have taken many off the ball linebackers high in the draft with mixed results. Lve, Jaylon, Bruce Carter all have been disappointments. I like Lloyd, but when you look at the best linebackers around the league they were drafted outside the 1st rd.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
First I don't think there plan is to ever move Parsons to a full time edge rusher, even Jerry said it makes it more difficult to figure out what we are doing if we don't define him a position. As for Lloyd, we have taken many off the ball linebackers high in the draft with mixed results. Lve, Jaylon, Bruce Carter all have been disappointments. I like Lloyd, but when you look at the best linebackers around the league they were drafted outside the 1st rd.
I hear you but to waste a 30 visit on Lloyd would be dumb if you would not consider drafting him. Could he make it to the 2nd round? As transparent as the Cowboys are, they could also be blowing smoke because Parsons has 20 sack season potential. Lloyd stats say he has the potential to be a poor man’s Parsons. Something to consider.

garyv

Reaction score
Cowboys have been connected with Treylon Burks since the combine. He offers a very unique skillset, where whoever drafts him, must have a plan how to use him. I like the player, but hate the idea of drafting another 1st receiver in a deep class. However, don't think they pass him if on the board as he should be their highest rated player at a position of need. Believe he is the only top receiver who has a chance to be there at 24.

Odds on favorites would be either top Guard: Green or Zion Johnson, unless a player who they didn't expect falls into their laps like a top 5 Edge or a top Tackle. Tony Pauline said yesterday he is hearing that all the tackles will be scooped up early on and Tyler Smith is going to go much higher then many are projecting. I haven't found anything connecting the Cowboys to Smith.

What about Linderbaum? You have to believe he would be the best player on their board over these 3. Are they looking to replace Biaz or looking to give him legitimate competition at the position? Think Left Guard is the bigger need, but it would be interesting to see who they take if both Guards are also on the board.

I think they will pass on Linderbaum if there and select either Green or Zion. I still think WR at #24 is Cowboy or media BS

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think they will pass on Linderbaum if there and select either Green or Zion. I still think WR at #24 is Cowboy or media BS
I cannot find anything linking the Cowboys with Linderbaum and I don't think it's a smokescreen taking a WR at 24, you don't waste 3 30 visits on top receivers.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I hear you but to waste a 30 visit on Lloyd would be dumb if you would not consider drafting him. Could he make it to the 2nd round? As transparent as the Cowboys are, they could also be blowing smoke because Parsons has 20 sack season potential. Lloyd stats say he has the potential to be a poor man’s Parsons. Something to consider.
Think he is more of a fallback option if they get wiped out of their primary targets.