But I Thought Dak Was Just a Dink And Dunk QB?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't recall saying the offense sucks because the defense sucked
You are blaming the defense...what I am.sayingbis that the offense sucked as bad.....it's just disguised in the final score specially with a final, meaningless drive against prevent defense ....

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Y’all are dedicated I’ll give y’all that. Same back and forths every dang day about Dak smh. I don’t get it because neither side is changing their pov. Have fun even though don’t really get how saying the same things on either side over and over and over and over again is fun. Y’all arent harming anybody though so carry on dudes

erod

Reaction score
I love this. "First 3 quarters". Last time I checked, football was a 4 quarter game. Dak took over the game and led us to a big win. But let's look over that and only dwell on the first 3 quarters. What did Dak do when it counted in the 4th and OT? Oh yeah...Have to conveniently leave that part off because it doesn't fit your argument.
What did he do? He threw a pick-six to lose the game only to see this ridiculous defensive back bobble the ball to Cooper. You people are priceless.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If this description were more accurate, you wouldn't have to qualify it.
Wut?

You're saying he's not dink and dunk based on an extremely limited sample - 4th Quarter/OT, close game. That's the heaviest qualifier there is.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
You're saying he's not dink and dunk based on an extremely limited sample - 4th Quarter/OT, close game. That's the heaviest qualifier there is.
Nobody forms their opinion of a player, team, or coach based solely on what happens in the first 3 quarters of the game. That by itself is nonsensical. But it's especially inaccurate with this player, team, and coach over the last three years.

Attempts in 4th qtr/OT (margin 8 points or less)
as a percentage of total attempts, 2016-18

1 Prescott 16.6
2 Wilson 16.4
3 Dalton 16.4
4 Manning 16.2
5 Newton 15.9
6 Carr 15.3
7 Winston 14.4
8 Brees 14.4
9 Wentz 13.9
10 Stafford 13.8

Of the 20 QB with the most attempts since 2016, nobody has a greater percentage of late-and-close attempts than Prescott. To omit the 4th quarter is to ignore exactly the thing that sets this player apart. You can't do that, and call it an accurate description. In fact, even if Prescott ranked at the bottom (instead of #1) in late-and-close attempts, the "dink and dunk" description still wouldn't be accurate because of the number of these passes that are intermediate-to-deep.

Late & Close
15+ yard targets as a % of total attempts (passer rating)
Same 10 QB from above, 2016-18

Wilson 22.7% (113.9)
Newton 20.8% (65.1)
Carr 21.5% (117.1)
Winston 20.5% (38.8)
Prescott 19.8% (124.2)
Brees 18.7% (90.8)
Dalton 18.5% (53.3)
Stafford 17.4% (121.5)
Manning 17.3% (51.5)
Wentz 15.9% (85.2)

Of the QB with the most attempts late in close games, these QB threw the greatest percentage of intermediate-to-deep passes from 2016-18. Prescott is 5th, and has the highest passer rating on these throws. This isn't some minor detail, it's both a significant part of his game, and a major part of his success.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nobody forms their opinion of a player, team, or coach based solely on what happens in the first 3 quarters of the game. That by itself is nonsensical. But it's especially inaccurate with this player, team, and coach over the last three years.
But it makes sense to do it with just the last quarter?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You're asking if it makes sense to include all 4 quarters?
eyeroll.

Don't purposely misconstrue what I said.

You're only sharing data from the 4th quarter...specifically close in the 4th quarter. You aren't including all 4, you're including a set of the 4th quarter.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
You're only sharing data from the 4th quarter...specifically close in the 4th quarter. You aren't including all 4.
Way past that. If you just want to scratch the surface, here's average depth of target from 2018, all 4 quarters. I chose these ten QB because they've all had some degree of success in the NFL, and their targets were all below the league average depth of 7.7 yards.

Brady 7.6
Prescott 7.6
Luck 7.6
Mariota 7.5
Cousins 7.4
Manning 7.2
Brees 7.1
Newton 7.1
Stafford 7.0
Carr 6.7

Same ten QB, but now including game situation. This is 15+ yd targets as a % of total attempts, 4th qtr/OT of a one-score game.
Brady 29.0%
Prescott 25.7%
Brees 23.2%
Manning 23.0%
Stafford 22.2%
Newton 20.2%
Carr 19.7%
Mariota 19.0%
Cousins 15.6%
Luck 11.8%

Not all players respond the same way late in close games. On the surface, nothing distinguishes Brady's overall season average target depth, but something happens to him when the game is close in the 4th quarter.