But What If Scenarios

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys clearly have enough talent to compete with most teams in the league and a better than 8 & 8 win/loss ratio seems a safe bet for our beloved Cowboys, but the playoffs in the NFC appears to be an unforgiving gauntlet of high octane offenses and unrelenting defenses. It reminds me a bit of the early 90’s where the true Super Bowl was actually the NFC Championship…that game where NFC teams drew straws on who gets to bully the lowly AFC. That very well could be the reality this year; unless it’s the Patriots...again…the team that proves season in and season out that cheaters do in fact prosper.

Early 90s? That was the case from '84 to '96. I think only two SBs were close, and only one time I can remember thinking the AFC had a shot going into the game because they were playing the 2nd best NFC team.

Good read overall. I'll be hoping the planets align. In fact, when was the last time the Cowboys even had a best case scenario like this one? We just didn't have the potential talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys this era are totally dependent on their talent to carry them . Any weaknesses in key positions will be exposed.

In 21st Century we’ve made the playoffs in 2003, 2006,2007,2009,2014 and 2016. That’s 6 out of 19 seasons beginning in 2000.

That’s 31.7 %. That’s about the odds I give us to make the playoffs this year.

Face it Cowboy fans , we are more of a bottom feeder to mediocre football franchise this era with an excellent season culminating in a playoff appearance. This is who we are now. Our storied history is just that . History!!

jday

Reaction score
The Cowboys this era are totally dependent on their talent to carry them . Any weaknesses in key positions will be exposed.

In 21st Century we’ve made the playoffs in 2003, 2006,2007,2009,2014 and 2016. That’s 6 out of 19 seasons beginning in 2000.

That’s 31.7 %. That’s about the odds I give us to make the playoffs this year.

Face it Cowboy fans , we are more of a bottom feeder to mediocre football franchise this era with an excellent season culminating in a playoff appearance. This is who we are now. Our storied history is just that . History!!
Wow. That is such a sad perspective. And don't get me wrong, I get it...you are not lying (best as I can tell, anyway, I'm not checking your math), but I just don't see how something as irrelevant as win/loss ratio over the course of 17 years, with different players and coaches gets to dictate what happens now.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Even with a healthy Lee and better defense this season hinges on the offense overcoming the worst playcalling and scheme in the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wow. That is such a sad perspective. And don't get me wrong, I get it...you are not lying (best as I can tell, anyway, I'm not checking your math), but I just don't see how something as irrelevant as win/loss ratio over the course of 17 years, with different players and coaches gets to dictate what happens now.
Actually my math was off. It’s only been 18 seasons beginning in 2000.

I present this perspective for those who think or believe because of our illustrious history we are somehow entitled or have higher expectations.

But your right . Each season does stands on its own. Although with an accumulative lack of success with the same leadership and in some cases players we can begin to draw some similarities and conclusions linking each year.

I’ve always said “ training camp and off season is a time for a renewed optimism, reality doesn’t begin until after Labor Day”.

jday

Reaction score
Actually my math was off. It’s only been 18 seasons beginning in 2000.

I present this perspective for those who think or believe because of our illustrious history we are somehow entitled or have higher expectations.

But your right . Each season does stands on its own. Although with an accumulative lack of success with the same leadership and in some cases players we can begin to draw some similarities and conclusions linking each year.

I’ve always said “ training camp and off season is a time for a renewed optimism, reality doesn’t begin until after Labor Day”.
Fair enough. I suspected the common denominator of the Joneses would come up in retort. And your right; they are certainly a significant part of the mediocrity and ineptitude we've witnessed. But I really like the direction of this team and fore at this point in my fanship, it is not longer about the destination for me. It's all about the journey.

That doesn't mean I'm immune to frustration from less-than-stellar results; I've just learned over the years to concede to myself too many things have to go right from top to bottom within an organization to win a championship.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fair enough. I suspected the common denominator of the Joneses would come up in retort. And your right; they are certainly a significant part of the mediocrity and ineptitude we've witnessed. But I really like the direction of this team and fore at this point in my fanship, it is not longer about the destination for me. It's all about the journey.

That doesn't mean I'm immune to frustration from less-than-stellar results; I've just learned over the years to concede to myself too many things have to go right from top to bottom within an organization to win a championship.
I understand the journey very well as I haven’t missed a game in at least 54 years but we continue to provide a seal of approval which doesn’t force any changes in leadership to the Jone$ without success or results.

This notion were heading in a better direction has been felt before this era without better results. It’s sounding or appearing to look more like some fans need to believe or have more faith to engage in the journey.

I’ve been thru every era since before we had ever made a playoff. I believe I’m versed on the difference in believing in a proven product with sustained results in comparison to the type of product we’ve been throwing out there this era.

My argument is we can still embrace the journey without the renewed optimism. I’m always hopeful leading up to each kickoff even in my Apathetic mode. The On Any Given Sunday still applies and why the Dog Pound still show up in Cleveland to cheer their team on.

jday

Reaction score
Early 90s? That was the case from '84 to '96. I think only two SBs were close, and only one time I can remember thinking the AFC had a shot going into the game because they were playing the 2nd best NFC team.

Good read overall. I'll be hoping the planets align. In fact, when was the last time the Cowboys even had a best case scenario like this one? We just didn't have the potential talent.
I turn 40 next month. So, when it was happening, I was just a kid. But your version sounds about right.

Thanks for reading and the kudos! :thumbup:

kskboys

Reaction score
What If's are what make drafting and offseason acquisitions of primary importance. See Philly's OL replacements and QB replacement.

Flamma

Reaction score
I turn 40 next month. So, when it was happening, I was just a kid. But your version sounds about right.

Thanks for reading and the kudos! :thumbup:

Yeah I'm 51 so I got a better perspective. The 1990 Giants had no business beating the 49ers. It's a good thing they did or the 49ers would be the only team to win 3 in a row. But if you watched the end of that Championship game the Giants got lucky. The game was over. If Craig doesn't fumble it's good night.

About your post. I started reading and decided I had to make coffee. Went back to reading and before I was done the coffee was ready. Got it and continued reading. It was actually a highlight of my morning. Good post.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Giants and Commanders are not better than the Cowboys. The Iggles are who we are chasing right now. Teams don't win the NFCE back to back very often. I like our chances depending on how Dak plays. If he is bad, the Cowboys might win 9 games, If he plays like he did his rookie year, we will challenge for the division title.
Like everyone else, you give the iggles too much credit.

jday

Reaction score
Everything NEVER goes right so its senseless to talk about it. Its about doing it all despite adversity and these coaches cant overcome that. Neither can the roster.
We've butted heads before Roy, but I respect you, despite not always agreeing with you. Like you, I see the same thing you do and particularly in the immediate aftermath when I was caught up in the emotion, I wanted to see the organization gutted.

Over the course of the offseason, to stave off football hunger pangs, I watched All or Nothing, full games from the last 2 years as well as The Dynasty. I've watched the Super Bowls, the NFC Championships, the 3rd season of Last Chance U, and a Football Life: Troy Aikman.

With those particular selections coloring the lense of my perspective, I have a better understanding of the moving parts within an organization and how they interact. Add to that the chaos element of Murphy's Law and luck and you are left with a cause that is beyond improbable...the Eagles being a prime example.

Granted, they experienced adversity with injuries, but the luck aspect stepped in made sure the fo had an answer backing them up. Due to the cap, you can't have that answer for every position, so you just have to hope you do. Sometimes hope is the only plan.

The Cowboys coaches have actually had mixed results overcoming adversity, but since the times they haven't stick out freshest in our minds, we fans tend to forget or dismiss the times they have.

Also, I see the positives of what we have. For my part I see a young and talented team. Alot of potential...and alot of inexperience. And I also see what looks like a very talented NFL, so I personally don't have high hopes for the season, but I do think it will be fun to watch.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That’s killed us our last 2 trips to the playoffs. Just my opinion. And calls like the seahags game when you are 1st and goal on the 3 and you have the best RB and O-Line in the league and never attempt to run the ball. Who does this?
yes, but if it would have worked, Garrett would have been considered a genius!
Yet the ole hand clapper never catches a break...lol