News: Butterfly effect on Wentz trade vs. Dak selection

SackMaster

Reaction score
I somewhat agree. I don't think everything has been awful with Dak. He seems to be a great leader - plays better at the end of games. I just think he misses too much. I know he only played 3 years and seeing the field should improve.

My other big issue is he has a hard time hitting the deep throws. Misses way too many open receivers on long throws. That is what he should be working on the most this off-season. Its keeping Dallas in too many close games missing on those chances. He starts hitting them consistently and teams stop stacking the box. Will open up the offense. I'm just not sure he will ever be capable of that though. Teams will always play us that Dallas will have to win on Daks arm.

My question is, if we sign Dak to a massive contract then we are all in and have no hope to improve the QB play. I like to see Dak one more season before Dallas goes all in. There is no risk if he wants top dollar anyways to wait another season.
I think that Dak's missing deep throws is a fair criticism. I think it is a little over blown since when I watch other games I see QBs miss big throws almost every game. It just does not stick out to me as much because I couldn't care less when Rogers misses a wide open receiver or completely misses on the throw for an easy TD.

But if Dak does miss more of those opportunities than most QBs, I would be confident in saying it is not by much (as in less than 0.5 per game, or < 8 per season).

As far as his contract, I think everyone that thinks that we can just wait a year and end up paying Dak "only" $30 million a year next year are serious underestimating the QB Market. If we can sign him around $30 million a year now, we better do so way before a guy like Mahomes has another great year and demands a new contract. If you think $35 million a year is high, I think once Mahomes, Wentz and Mayfield sign their second contracts in the next couple of years, $30 mill a year will look like a bargin.

I could be wrong, but if Dak puts together another winning season, or another division title, he could be much closer to $40 million a year than most think. Hell, if I'm Dak's agent, I'm telling Dak to wait until the end of this year, ESPECIALLY if I, as the agent, believes this team is as good as many are predicting.

The longer we wait, the worse it will be, team wise.

JMHO

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think that Dak's missing deep throws is a fair criticism. I think it is a little over blown since when I watch other games I see QBs miss big throws almost every game. It just does not stick out to me as much because I couldn't care less when Rogers misses a wide open receiver or completely misses on the throw for an easy TD.

But if Dak does miss more of those opportunities than most QBs, I would be confident in saying it is not by much (as in less than 0.5 per game, or < 8 per season).

As far as his contract, I think everyone that thinks that we can just wait a year and end up paying Dak "only" $30 million a year next year are serious underestimating the QB Market. If we can sign him around $30 million a year now, we better do so way before a guy like Mahomes has another great year and demands a new contract. If you think $35 million a year is high, I think once Mahomes, Wentz and Mayfield sign their second contracts in the next couple of years, $30 mill a year will look like a bargin.

I could be wrong, but if Dak puts together another winning season, or another division title, he could be much closer to $40 million a year than most think. Hell, if I'm Dak's agent, I'm telling Dak to wait until the end of this year, ESPECIALLY if I, as the agent, believes this team is as good as many are predicting.

The longer we wait, the worse it will be, team wise.

JMHO
I look at the QB salaries and it looks to me like they have already made a big jump and I wouldn't expect to see that again for a few years. I dont see Mahome getting a big contract yet. He was drafted a year after Dak and they can exercise a 5th year option on him. And as good as Wentz has shown he can be he really needs to prove he can stay healthy for a year and he has 5th year option. If they pay Dak 30 mil that is basically paying him top 5 Qb money. I let him play this season out and if shows more improvement and the Cowboys make the playoffs you have to pay him what he wants. If he struggles and the Cowboys miss the playoffs you have some bargaining power. It just doesn't hurt to wait.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I look at the QB salaries and it looks to me like they have already made a big jump and I wouldn't expect to see that again for a few years. I dont see Mahome getting a big contract yet. He was drafted a year after Dak and they can exercise a 5th year option on him. And as good as Wentz has shown he can be he really needs to prove he can stay healthy for a year and he has 5th year option. If they pay Dak 30 mil that is basically paying him top 5 Qb money. I let him play this season out and if shows more improvement and the Cowboys make the playoffs you have to pay him what he wants. If he struggles and the Cowboys miss the playoffs you have some bargaining power. It just doesn't hurt to wait.
Agree but they won’t. They will pay Dak. Maybe before training camp. 30+ a year.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I think you severely underestimate the market. Before May of 2018, how many QBs make $30 million a year? Zero.

Yet in less than a year later we have 4 QBs making $30+ million dollars a year, with the top annual salary already jumping to $35 million a year.

And I'm quite shocked that someone takes the length of an NFL contract with any seriousness anymore.

Andrew Luck, drafted 2012, resigned to be the highest paid player in NFL History (at the time) prior to the 2016 season despite missing over half a season worth of games in 2015. So he resigned after 4 years even though the team have a 5th year option on his rookie deal. And Luck has never gotten an MVP vote like Wentz has.

And while Mahomes is a year behind Wentz, if he throws for 40+ TDs again this year and leads his team to another first round bye, I don't see how he plays another year on his rookie contract. If he chooses to, or his agent convinces him to, he will have all the leverage over the Chiefs.

Or maybe, I'm just a crazy guy who has no clue what he is talking about. The interesting thing is we will see in just a year or so if I'm a person who is just full of it or has a little grasp on the NFL economy.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think you severely underestimate the market. Before May of 2018, how many QBs make $30 million a year? Zero.

Yet in less than a year later we have 4 QBs making $30+ million dollars a year, with the top annual salary already jumping to $35 million a year.

And I'm quite shocked that someone takes the length of an NFL contract with any seriousness anymore.

Andrew Luck, drafted 2012, resigned to be the highest paid player in NFL History (at the time) prior to the 2016 season despite missing over half a season worth of games in 2015. So he resigned after 4 years even though the team have a 5th year option on his rookie deal. And Luck has never gotten an MVP vote like Wentz has.

And while Mahomes is a year behind Wentz, if he throws for 40+ TDs again this year and leads his team to another first round bye, I don't see how he plays another year on his rookie contract. If he chooses to, or his agent convinces him to, he will have all the leverage over the Chiefs.

Or maybe, I'm just a crazy guy who has no clue what he is talking about. The interesting thing is we will see in just a year or so if I'm a person who is just full of it or has a little grasp on the NFL economy.

When you have an exceptional talent at QB like Luck or Mahomes I can see why they would get paid early. And yes they would have leverage but were talking about a guy who is middle of the road talent and paying him like he is top 5.