Image: By the Numbers: Pollard

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It’s obvious to anyone who isn’t delusional.

Zeke apologists always use some criteria that you can’t measure but eye test and stats tell me not only is Pollard better than Zeke but he is one of the best RBs in football.
everyone likes flashy fast cars but, you also need something to pull the boat.

fansince68

Reaction score
Ya, unfortunately, it is what it is. We have to play Zeke this year.

We just need bigger doses of TP. I believe that was the plan regardless this year. The fact that they didn't give TP more touches down the stretch last year was a crime.
I still worry. These facts were evident last season yet, coach still trotted Zeke in to take the lions share of the carries in spite of a lingering knee injury. We witnessed the winning formula against the Bears. Up tempo gets you splash plays. Both RB against the Bears were quick and fast to the hole. Zeke has now become a "plodder" . Would Zeke had broken those runs for TD's. I say NO

fansince68

Reaction score
Here's something controversial.

If you brought back Pollard next year and paired him with Davis, you'd have a more than competent run game as long as the OL as up to snuff. That's what smart teams do. They piece together their RB room. They don't invest nearly a 100 million in one guy.
This is EXACTLY what needs to happen.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The question with Pollard is simple.......is he going to protect Dak? I would love to see him getting the bulk of the carries but again, how do you protect Dak? I'm asking........extra TE, he and Zeke on the field together,

Tommy

Reaction score
What stood out to me is that Zeke only has 2 carries of 40+ yards since 2017.

Hes had a lot of carries since then. I don't like it.

Tommy

Reaction score
Zeke would have had some long runs against that Bears defense. But slobber away.
I don't know about that.

On that 18yd td run by Pollard he made a cut to the right at the LOS to get past the linebacker. I am pretty sure Zeke would have been down with a 3 yd run. He doesn't make that move.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke would have had some long runs against that Bears defense. But slobber away.
Not as long as TP, but definitely better than what he's been averaging. There were some wide open holes for Pollard in that game. The problem is that they close up pretty fast, and Zeke wouldn't get through them as quick as Tony did, so he can't take full advantage.

starfan1

Reaction score
Here's the plain difference between Zeke and Pollard in terms of productivity as a RB.

Screenshot-2022-10-31-112222.png

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-rb.php

*Zeke has just five (5) runs of 40+ yards or more in 1,759 career carries, three of which came in 2016. Pollard has three (3) this season alone.
theres absolutely no question what pollard brings to the table whats missing is the tough yards and the pass protection that #21 provides. We need both of these guys this year. We can move on from one of them soon enough. I am a fan of using both just up pollard's touches and we wont play the bears every week.

this is coming from a zeke basher

terra

Reaction score
Well we know what happens when the starting QB goes down.

We clearly cannot beat the best teams without him.

So do you risk your season on a back that cannot protect him?

Now to be blunt the obvious answer is of course you do not have Pollard in pass blocking; he goes out as the safety valve. Unfortunately that logic sometimes seems to escape our boy genius OC.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Lol some long runs?
He's has 2 in the last 5 1/2 years..pretty sure he's played some other bad defenses.
Worry bout your own slobber

Staubacher

Reaction score
theres absolutely no question what pollard brings to the table whats missing is the tough yards and the pass protection that #21 provides. We need both of these guys this year. We can move on from one of them soon enough. I am a fan of using both just up pollard's touches and we wont play the bears every week.

this is coming from a zeke basher
That's the obvious move this year. But Zeke is much more replaceable going forward.
The main worry is our megalomaniac GM/Owner forcing the team to keep making Zeke the center of the offense.

starfan1

Reaction score
That's the obvious move this year. But Zeke is much more replaceable going forward.
The main worry is our megalomaniac GM/Owner forcing the team to keep making Zeke the center of the offense.
Yep same issue weve been dealing with for over 20 years

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BUT.....Pollard isn't the QB's best friend and Jerry didn't pay him large to retain his services.

And with that comes Zeke's job security. These numbers are a mere annoyance.

starfan1

Reaction score
Jazz I cant figure out for the life of me why you who is such a quality poster has been so invested in this stance. OSU fan? I know we have about 4 or 5 posters here that are which is fine. Im a fan of using both but at this point its crystal clear which back has the most impact on the offense.

Zekes best attribute is getting tough yards and and blocking beyond that Malik Davis could replace him

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about that.

On that 18yd td run by Pollard he made a cut to the right at the LOS to get past the linebacker. I am pretty sure Zeke would have been down with a 3 yd run. He doesn't make that move.
Not as long as TP, but definitely better than what he's been averaging. There were some wide open holes for Pollard in that game. The problem is that they close up pretty fast, and Zeke wouldn't get through them as quick as Tony did, so he can't take full advantage.

Can't compare those type of runs for runs. There would been other type of plays that Zeke would have got his yards. Or some of the power type runs Pollard only got a few yards on. Zeke would have powered his way through for more yards, and possibly broke a few long runs from that.

No, Zeke could not have made those cuts. But he he is not some Rb that doesn't have some moves either.
Fans will not accept Zeke still has some move sand speed, as they just don't like him for some dumb reason...mostly $$$$...take that out on Jerry, not Zeke.