Twitter: Byron Jones is the most obvious free agent to re-sign

Qcard

Reaction score
Not enough money unless Dak is willing to play under the tag.
That is bs....

The Cowboys have the ability to sign Dak, Cooper, Quinn and Jones. The Cap space and anticipated increase with new CBA makes it possible....

Just say No to Lazy GMs!!

blueblood70

Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

sorry hes good but all 3 are in the same boat with elite money demands for good play.. hes not worth 16. lest see his demands before we say its obvious.. I say you find a corner similar in talent maybe more of ballhawk for 10-11 not 16.. hes asking for FAR TOO MUCH IMO..Sometimes a payer prices himself off a team..

kumizi

Reaction score
The majority of the fanbase is clueless. This D got lit up by Josh Allen, Mitch Trubisky, and Sam Darnold. Yet they’re fine with letting our best corner (by a mile) walk. They’ll just parrot each other’s comments about no interceptions. Byron is a top ten corner in the NFL. No one else on the Cowboys roster is in the top twenty. But yeah Mike Nolan will fix everything. Same people that thought not having a #1 wr was a good thing because Dak could really spread it around and Sanjay Lal would coach them up.

kumizi

Reaction score
Guys, hes going to break the bank. Getting INTs isn't the only deciding factor. There is a perceived value for what Jones brings to the table. I can live with 0-3 INTs a year if he's getting paid CB #6-10 money. Not #1. He's not worth that.
If you’re going to use this reasoning, then Dak, Amari, Dlaw, and Jaylon aren’t worth it either. None of them is top 3-5 at their position.

kumizi

Reaction score
I would just like to point how funny it is that the same posters who don’t want to pay players “because stats” are bending over backwards to defend Byron Jones who doesn’t make any plays.
Real mensa candidate here

starfan1

Reaction score
I don't know whats so shocking here. Most of us who have been listening to folks talk have known that it was going to be Byron in all likelihood that was going to be lost. We had possibly hoped otherwise but knew he was going to be the most sought after free agent at his position its just coming into view now and people are expressing their disdain.

I would have liked to kept Jones but id rather keep Quinn and Dak and cooper at a reasonable rate. Id actually be ok with Cooper walking if it meant we would perform some magic and get Juedy or lamb or even Ruggs but I have no faith in Cowboys ability to do that and FA comes before the draft unfortunately.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like Byron but 2018 0 ints, 2019 0 ints. He has a total of 2 in 5 years.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Not enough money unless Dak is willing to play under the tag.
Exactly. I'm biting my nails with Byron. I know Dak/Coop are a done deal, but I just don't see them being able to afford Jones. With his play last season, he now wants to be the highest paid player at his position. This seems to be a trend on this team. :rolleyes:

That is bs....The Cowboys have the ability to sign Dak, Cooper, Quinn and Jones. The Cap space and anticipated increase with new CBA makes it possible...Just say No to Lazy GMs!!
Link? Source? :popcorn:

glimmerman

Reaction score
That is bs....

The Cowboys have the ability to sign Dak, Cooper, Quinn and Jones. The Cap space and anticipated increase with new CBA makes it possible....

Just say No to Lazy GMs!!
Anticipated isn’t money in the bank. I do agree that JJ of all owners already knows the specifics. But if there was plenty of money then a few of these players would already been signed. I am sure they are working on cap numbers to see what they can offer.

Verdict

Reaction score
There were red flags with Amari when he came here. However he’s been very productive and a player that we have to re-sign. We used a first round pick on him in 2018 and he’s a key cog to what we’re doing on offense. Sure, there’s some concerns with him but we can’t pay Dak and move on from his best target.

Yes. There were red flags before he came here. He played well early. Then the same red flags popped back up. That indicates a high probability of a pattern which is more substantial than just a red flag.

Yes. We gave up a first round pick for him. That ship has sailed. We used a first round pick on Taco too. Those are “sunk costs”.

It is irrelevant what we gave for either one of those guys. The only thing that matters is what we do with them after those costs have already been paid.

We “cut bait” with Taco, right, wrong, or indifferently. Now what about Cooper?

IDK what they are going to do. The red flags are still waving. It reminds me of the Dez situation without Dez’ mental midgetry.

We don’t “have” to pay Cooper anything. We can choose to pay Cooper, tag and trade him or let him walk and probably get a 3rd round comp pick for him. No one really knows what would be best.

But the salary cap IS FINITE. We know we can’t pay everyone. I would be making the hard decisions now. I would move on from Amari, and maybe Byron too in exchange for picks.

You could over pay Dak slightly and save enough by tagging and trading Byron and Cooper for picks to offset it some. All of those are just options.

You might get a Thielen type of receiver out of this draft and not miss a beat from Amari and save close to $20m per year. Or maybe you get lucky and draft Lamb or Jeudy at #17 and save a boatload of money.

We don’t HAVE to do anything. We have options. The team needs to not be afraid of making the wrong decision.

The odds of Amari being worth $20M per year for 5 full years is not a good bet.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Its the best metric. If you have corners that one cannot complete passes against, then your defense is not giving up yards, and if they are not giving up yards they are managing to both not give up points and give the offense better field position to get more points. Better to lock down a side, allowing the entire defense to focus elsewhere, then to have a feast or famine cb that the safeties have to be constantly protecting.
And a ball-hawking safety has less room to cover! I would keep Byron and go get that safety!

Qcard

Reaction score
Anticipated isn’t money in the bank. I do agree that JJ of all owners already knows the specifics. But if there was plenty of money then a few of these players would already been signed. I am sure they are working on cap numbers to see what they can offer.
Fair enough... anticipation isn't cold cap $$

I conced the point but I think you'd agree that many championships contending teams have at least 2-3 Market Value Contracts on the roster...it is not an anomaly.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Fair enough... anticipation isn't cold cap $$

I conced the point but I think you'd agree that many championships contending teams have at least 2-3 Market Value Contracts on the roster...it is not an anomaly.
Of course. Most all teams have a QB that is or was at the time of signing at market value. A lineman on offense or defense side. At least one will be a high pick signed at market value. We alway have a few. Of course they once we sign them they seem to quit playing at a high level. Lol.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes. There were red flags before he came here. He played well early. Then the same red flags popped back up. That indicates a high probability of a pattern which is more substantial than just a red flag.

Yes. We gave up a first round pick for him. That ship has sailed. We used a first round pick on Taco too. Those are “sunk costs”.

It is irrelevant what we gave for either one of those guys. The only thing that matters is what we do with them after those costs have already been paid.

We “cut bait” with Taco, right, wrong, or indifferently. Now what about Cooper?

IDK what they are going to do. The red flags are still waving. It reminds me of the Dez situation without Dez’ mental midgetry.

We don’t “have” to pay Cooper anything. We can choose to pay Cooper, tag and trade him or let him walk and probably get a 3rd round comp pick for him. No one really knows what would be best.

But the salary cap IS FINITE. We know we can’t pay everyone. I would be making the hard decisions now. I would move on from Amari, and maybe Byron too in exchange for picks.

You could over pay Dak slightly and save enough by tagging and trading Byron and Cooper for picks to offset it some. All of those are just options.

You might get a Thielen type of receiver out of this draft and not miss a beat from Amari and save close to $20m per year. Or maybe you get lucky and draft Lamb or Jeudy at #17 and save a boatload of money.

We don’t HAVE to do anything. We have options. The team needs to not be afraid of making the wrong decision.

The odds of Amari being worth $20M per year for 5 full years is not a good bet.

I’m not going to get into a lengthy debate over Amari I’ve been through enough of them. I’ve gone through all the reasons why the Cowboys are currently working to extend him.

Qcard

Reaction score
Of course. Most all teams have a QB that is or was at the time of signing at market value. A lineman on offense or defense side. At least one will be a high pick signed at market value. We alway have a few. Of course they once we sign them they seem to quit playing at a high level. Lol.
Garrett syndrome