Twitter: Byron Jones is the most obvious free agent to re-sign

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Another thing nobody wants to acknowledge.

The ownership has caused our fan base to over value the positions that made us great in the 90's but positions like WR and RB are not positions you need to spend major dollars on anymore.

I think soon we will see WR's become a dime a dozen position like RB.

A big part of what made the Cowboys great during the 90s was there their number one WR and RB. If you have a receiver like Michael Irvin today it’s going to cost you big money. The same with a back like Emmitt Smith. Big bucks were shelled out to Todd Gurley, Le’Veon Bell and Zeke. The highest paid wide receiver in the league last season was OBJ at $18 million per. The next six highest paid wide receivers are all making at least $16 million per.

The Saints extended Michael Thomas with a 5 year $100 million contract with $61 million guaranteed. You’re kidding yourself if you think wide receivers are going to become a dime a dozen. lol You’re one of those fans who thinks you can go cheap at all the key positions and win. You want to go cheap at QB, WR and RB. If a QB doesn’t win a Super Bowl on their rookie contract you’re moving on from them. That’s where your head is at.

Qcard

Reaction score
We have to tag Jones...

Cowboy fans are so damaged by Garrett's incompetence.

Al Harris and Nolan can coach Jones up!!

robjay04

Reaction score
Brandon Carr had lots of interceptions before and after he played here. Not many here.

Nobody has here.

This is hardly just a Byron thing.

Brandon Carr had one interception in his last 31 games

He got off to a hot start like he did with us and reverted to his old self.

law of averages wins.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

BJones isn't a/ difference maker. We can draft a CB, that can flollow wr's around like he does.

Last edited:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
With the scheme we had for the last several years playing 8 yards off your receivers and our DB's not looking for the ball. Hope all that changes with Al now coaching them.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Can't afford to have a top paid WR, QB, RB, DE, and Corner. Eventually someone will be the odd man out.

As the tuna use to say, can't have filet at every position, BUT we will sure be close with WR, RB, QB and OL once everyone gets signed.

Verdict

Reaction score
Gallup showed against the Jets when he got an opportunity to be the guy that he’s not a number one receiver. He’s a solid number two receiver but he’s not a number one. He had his share of drops last season. The draft may have a lot of wide receiver talent but Amari is a proven commodity who we just gave up a number 1 for in 2018. He is a must sign.
There are “signs” that Amari is just what you say he is— A legitimate #1 stud WR. There are also signs (disappearing act) that indicate that at times he isn’t that at all.

I don’t know which he is to be honest. But the red flags are there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There are “signs” that Amari is just what you say he is— A legitimate #1 stud WR. There are also signs (disappearing act) that indicate that at times he isn’t that at all.

There were red flags with Amari when he came here. However he’s been very productive and a player that we have to re-sign. We used a first round pick on him in 2018 and he’s a key cog to what we’re doing on offense. Sure, there’s some concerns with him but we can’t pay Dak and move on from his best target.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Im going to say this, Jones problem is he doesnt give the qb any bait to throw his way more often.

He sticks to the man so tight that the qb already knows pre snap not to throw at his direction which means wrs are going to get targets against cbs that arent as good as him.

A qb that throws his way ends with a completion,incompletion or penalty. I know a high interceptions stat isnt good but cbs that rarely get targeted (lockdown corners) still get around 3 a year just because they are willing to take risks and are baiting the qb.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Because almost every team is dinking and dunking and playing not to lose football games.

That's why QB's have ridiculous completion %'s now days too..

INT's are down and efficiency is up.

Completion %s are up because the rules that made it illegal to hit "defenseless" WRs have opened up the middle of the field to the passing game. It's not being conservative, it's taking what works better than it used to.

Hadenough

Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

He isnt going to be easy to replace. He was the bright spot against the Eagles when Dallas has beaten them he has followed Ertz all over the field. This could be really bad for Dallas if the Eagles sign him. They could sign Byron and let Cooper walk than target Cee Dee Lamb in the draft. The only problem is they have so many other needs.

Hadenough

Reaction score

There is a reason Gruden got rid of him. I think he has the physical tools but checks out mentally against tough competition.

Scotman

Reaction score
I sign him. Period. I honestly feel like the dude is just now coming into his own. You're going to have to use a #1 to replace him. Those picks are RARE. I sign him, Dak and Amari. I think we are all going to be shocked at the new money available under the new CBA when it come out.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
He doesn't get INT's and that's how Cowboyszone judges their corner so he will receive no sympathy here.

I think CJ Henderson will probably be our 1st round pick to replace him. Depending what happens in FA I can't see him or Terrell not being the pick.

Re-sign Jones, draft CJ Henderson and Dallas has their 2 starting outside CB's. They have Jourdan Lewis as the nickel CB, let Anthony Brown walk, and move Xavier Woods from FS to SS while also moving Chidobe Awuzie from CB to FS:

LCB- Byron Jones
RCB- CJ Henderson
NCB- Jourdan Lewis
SS- Xavier Woods
FS- Chidobe Awuzie

By re-signing Jones and drafting Henderson, Dallas fortifies it's secondary which is a priority given the pass happy NFL.

Qcard

Reaction score
They can coach up our early CB draft pick.
Yep.... let's just assume that player will be better:facepalm:

We have the ability to keep Jones or get something in return. We can sign Dak, Cooper and franchise tag Jones...we have cap and the proven coaching staff.

Just say no to lazy GMs...