Twitter: Byron Jones is the most obvious free agent to re-sign

Proof

Reaction score
The bottom line is you can’t pay Dak and take away his number one target. Check his numbers before Amari and after they’re night and day. It’s not practical to pay a corner an excessive amount of money who doesn’t get takeaways and isn’t a playmaker.

that's why I said that I prefer to keep Amari. As far as pre Amari, an emerging Gallup and a rookie will be leagues better than Cole Beasley and Hurns. And I think Dak has made his own strides since. But I digress

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You’re saying 20 million per is the going rate for corners when the leagues highest paid corner is making 15 million per season less. You called 20 million per season very affordable. We’re not even factoring in all the guaranteed money Jones will get.

Too late to edit I meant $5M per season less.

817Gill

Reaction score
Because you have seen byron's ceiling he will never be better than what he is right now. for supposedly 17-18 million a year? He will only get worse as he gets older when he inevitably loses some athleticism that he 100% relies on. Limited instincts and ball skills. This is for the better it may not seem like it now but you will see.
Thank you! You don’t pay top 15 guys top 3 money unless you believe in their potential to improve. Byron won’t magically have better hands or football instincts. He won’t all of a sudden develop a nose for the football. He’s an elite athlete with good technique who can cover well but doesn’t make plays. To be an elite CB, you have to be able to change a game with a play. He’s in the 7-10 range of corners, really good but not elite.

You break the bank for 2 types of guys.

1. An already elite or top 5 player at their position.

2. Up and coming with the belief that they can become an elite or top 5 player at their position.

Byron is close, but he’s neither. You pay 18+ for a guy who will inevitably never be better than what he is, he can only get worse. Smart move by the FO letting him go

ondaedg

Reaction score
Garrett coached defenses were the worst at INT takeaways in the entire league from 2011 - 2019.
Jones' coverage technique will never result in many picks.

Both points should be considered when discussing Byron.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Thank you! You don’t pay top 15 guys top 3 money unless you believe in their potential to improve. Byron won’t magically have better hands or football instincts. He won’t all of a sudden develop a nose for the football. He’s an elite athlete with good technique who can cover well but doesn’t make plays. To be an elite CB, you have to be able to change a game with a play. He’s in the 7-10 range of corners, really good but not elite.

You break the bank for 2 types of guys.

1. An already elite or top 5 player at their position.

2. Up and coming with the belief that they can become an elite or top 5 player at their position.

Byron is close, but he’s neither. You pay 18+ for a guy who will inevitably never be better than what he is, he can only get worse. Smart move by the FO letting him go
This exactly. Thank you sir.

ultron

Reaction score
Cowboys brought in Quinn to pressure the QB. The reason DEs are drafted so high and make the huge dollars is because of sacks. Quinn had 11.5 sacks and forced 2 fumbles, he impacted games for us. He wasn’t costing us any games. You obviously don’t have a clue about football if you thought he sucked last season and cost us games. Jones is a good cover corner but he gives up underneath plays which has allowed teams to move the chains. He has terrible ball skills which is another reason he doesn’t get picks. He’s not a playmaker and our secondary desperately needs players who can get takeaways. You’re obviously not a very astute football fan so not going any further with you.

Ok bud. Let's play a game - outside of 11 sacks (not an eye popping number), what did Quinn do well last year? I'll wait....

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Love him but he was pretty bad to average last year. He got beat clean steadily. That said, I like him at the top of his game. Hope we can keep him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ok bud. Let's play a game - outside of 11 sacks (not an eye popping number), what did Quinn do well last year? I'll wait....

He had 6.5 sacks in 2018 in a defense that didn’t fit him, which was more sacks than the DE we made the highest paid player in franchise history had last season. If you thought Quinn sucked last season what did you think of DLaw’s performance? lol Quinn has had a career 80.5 sacks with 24 forced fumbles and you think he sucks? He had a 19 sack season several years ago. You’re totally lost if you think he played poorly last season and isn’t a good player.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

considering no one else came close to 11.5 sacks, 2nd most of Lawrence with 5. You can devalue sacks all you want but seems NFL teams want guys who can put the QB on his ars.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Back that up with stats.
He was only good because chido was trash on the opposite side of the field who gave up almost 1,000 yards receiving. Byron jones gave up a passer rating of 87.7 when targeted and 10.6 yards per reception also 3 tds. Idc he wasnt targeted because the rest of our defense was trash. He was part of a defense that was ranked 21st in defensive efficiency and couldn't get off the field.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He was only good because chido was trash on the opposite side of the field who gave up almost 1,000 yards receiving. Byron jones gave up a passer rating of 87.7 when targeted and 10.6 yards per reception also 3 tds. Idc he wasnt targeted because the rest of our defense was trash. He was part of a defense that was ranked 21st in defensive efficiency and couldn't get off the field.

LOL gosh this is stupid. "He's only good because other players around him are garbage"

Do you think most great CBs in this league are surrounded by studs? lol

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

He was a bright spot with a S over the top. Awuzie must've been thinking it must be nice.

vlad

Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

Erod - I have said that through several threads on here but doesn't seem many agree. And to be fair, given our current situation I have said I'd prioritize him over Cooper in a heartbeat. That's not because I dislike Cooper, but how much money are you going to pour into the offense? And I think CB is a harder and more important position to fill.

But the Jones' like fantasy football and offense sells. Signing Jaylon was ridiculous - that money should be poured into DL, CB or then WR imho.

vlad

Reaction score
Another thing nobody wants to acknowledge.

The ownership has caused our fan base to over value the positions that made us great in the 90's but positions like WR and RB are not positions you need to spend major dollars on anymore.

I think soon we will see WR's become a dime a dozen position like RB.

Great post

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
LOL gosh this is stupid. "He's only good because other players around him are garbage"

Do you think most great CBs in this league are surrounded by studs? lol
No I said that's why ppl don't throw toward his direction a lot. He's not that great WHEN thrown at. There's a difference between the 2.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'm a huge byron jones supporter, but understand that this is a salary cap league.

I'd love to have him back but the optimist in me says this defense can still improve even in losing their top CB.
It makes sense to let him walk, but you then better sign a vet in free agency and draft a CB first 2 days.