Twitter: Byron Update

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Byron is a stud, but Chido is scaring me. Hopefully he can turn it around, but he hasn’t been very good this year.
Hoping he is getting his bad year out of the way this year, unlike Byron who had it last year(his junior year).

ondaedg

Reaction score
Just someone who probably never like Byron and wants to blame him, as a lot of people did in previous years.

I have been an up and down fan of Byron Jones. He gave up several 1st down receptions on 3rd down Sunday. Disappointing. Overall he has played well this year for sure. But let's bring out the facts: 2 career interceptions in 3.5 seasons. One was on an end of half hail mary against Green Bay and the other was a tipped ball. He plays with his back to the ball trying to crowd the receiver which has its downsides including not being able to make a play on it. In comparison Tennessee's Kevin Byard has 10 in 2.5 seasons. He is playing tight coverage but he doesn't create turnovers. We suck at turnovers. We need more turnovers.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Byron and Tank will both be 27 next year and will be our most experienced and dominant defensive players. We can still upgrade at some defensive positions but we have a lot of young talent and a few stud veterans on the D. Too bad we'll be stuck with Dak at QB and Jerry at GM for the next 5+ years.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have been an up and down fan of Byron Jones. He gave up several 1st down receptions on 3rd down Sunday. Disappointing. Overall he has played well this year for sure. But let's bring out the facts: 2 career interceptions in 3.5 seasons. One was on an end of half hail mary against Green Bay and the other was a tipped ball. He plays with his back to the ball trying to crowd the receiver which has its downsides including not being able to make a play on it. In comparison Tennessee's Kevin Byard has 10 in 2.5 seasons. He is playing tight coverage but he doesn't create turnovers. We suck at turnovers. We need more turnovers.
Turning it over on downs, due to incompletions is turning it over as well, just not as good field position.
I'd like to see him improve in the turnover category as well, but I'd rather have a CB who doesn't allow many receptions, than one who has 3 ints per year, but gives up 6 or 7 TDs trying to jump the route.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Taco, Chido, and Lewis were supposed to be foundation pieces. :(

Awuzie has been injuried and Lewis was a 3rd round pick, not exactly a bonus baby.

Taco has more sacks at this point in his career than DLaw did at the same point. That doesn't mean Taco will be a success or failure, but its a good indication that fans need to be patient with some players.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I doubt it. This is the only guy I've seen that believes Jones has played poorly this year. There aren't going to be a lot of people on both sides.

If this thread goes more than four pages of posters running down Byron Jones, Kris Richard is going to post a Conference Call number and then scream at people for 20 minutes.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I like Byron but he still can make me mad at times. During one Titans drive the cameras, from behind the QB showed the QB throw a completion to his WR for a first down. The problem was it showed both the WR and Byron Jones (who was defending him within 5 yards of him) standing still both facing the QB when the QB let the pass fly. Byron Jones made absolutely no play on the ball even though he was facing the QB and within 5 yards of the motionless WR at the time. He stood still, waited for the WR to make the catch, THEN he moved in and tackled him.

This was just one instance, but still I remember it made me upset at the time. We could have used an INT or even an Incomplete there as the Titans went on to score a TD that drive.
so of his 8 games so far and his outstanding play, you chose one to knock him on......and you think other CBs are perfect? was Deion sanders perfect? was Sherman perfect? its NFL, they playing against high caliber players...you win some. you lose some...you just want to make sure you win more than you lose...

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Awuzie has been injuried and Lewis was a 3rd round pick, not exactly a bonus baby.

Taco has more sacks at this point in his career than DLaw did at the same point. That doesn't mean Taco will be a success or failure, but its a good indication that fans need to be patient with some players.

Chido has been healthy enough to play and hasn't been very good. Taco is getting better, but still doesn't look like a difference maker. Lewis was a 3rd round pick due to off the field concerns.

I understand that picks can take some time - and I hope these 3 all end up being great. But I can also say that I hoped for more by this point.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Amazing how playing a good college CB at CB in the NFL somehow works out well.

Jones played safety his first two years here at UConn and switched to corner his junior and senior year. But you are right, corner has always been his best position.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Chido has been healthy enough to play and hasn't been very good.

Agree, but IMO the dropoff with Awuzie is mostly about playing through injuries, he looked good until he got hurt. And Lewis would be on the field except for Anthony Brown having a great camp and beating him out, that is more about Brown playing well than Lewis playing poorly.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Chido has been healthy enough to play and hasn't been very good. Taco is getting better, but still doesn't look like a difference maker. Lewis was a 3rd round pick due to off the field concerns.

I understand that picks can take some time - and I hope these 3 all end up being great. But I can also say that I hoped for more by this point.

Chido has given up more plays simply because of the number of times he's been targeted. His coverage has actually been good; but it's the old Deion Sanders rule at play here. When offenses ignore one side of the field the other side looks bad because any and all plays made come over there.

If that makes sense....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Byron but he still can make me mad at times. During one Titans drive the cameras, from behind the QB showed the QB throw a completion to his WR for a first down. The problem was it showed both the WR and Byron Jones (who was defending him within 5 yards of him) standing still both facing the QB when the QB let the pass fly. Byron Jones made absolutely no play on the ball even though he was facing the QB and within 5 yards of the motionless WR at the time. He stood still, waited for the WR to make the catch, THEN he moved in and tackled him.

This was just one instance, but still I remember it made me upset at the time. We could have used an INT or even an Incomplete there as the Titans went on to score a TD that drive.

That is required by the coaches on some plays.

For example, if they are blitzing or if there is no Safety help, then they play it safe.