callahan named offensive coordinator

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;4374734 said:
if callihan can help bring more balance, let's give it a shot. but what amazes me is that 2 days ago people would have bet the moon garretts ego would refuse to get help.

so he does.

suddenly it's not enough.

some fans you just can't make happy cause at the top, jones. i've just lost my desire to even try to talk to people on a normal level who just wrap up in hate and go.

you and i have "gone at it" pretty hard in the past but in the end we usually find a solid common ground and that's what i'm usually looking for. when someone ducks and jukes and plays victim, i've learned just to quit playing.

I have to say that my opinion has changed significantly over the past two days.

At first, I was disappointed that Sparano declined to return, seemingly due to Garrett refusing to relinquich any offensive control.

But then I was happy because Callahan is a very good offensive line coach.

Now I'm even more happy that Garrett will be getting some help from Callahan offensively as well.

brickman

Reaction score
stasheroo;4374792 said:

At first, I was disappointed that Sparano declined to return, seemingly due to Garrett refusing to relinquich any offensive control.

Now I'm even more happy that Garrett will be getting some help from Callahan offensively as well.
\

I'm in the same boat. I think a new set of eyes on things with some fresh ideas will help with the weapons we have on the offensive side of the ball.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stasheroo;4374792 said:

well, i don't think we'll ever really know why sprano or coaches go the way they go. we can assume it's ego or something "bad here" they don't want to be a part of.

sometimes it's just oil and water. on their own, both vital. together, problems. if sprano didn't come back could be his own reasons, could be garrett didn't want him back.

if garrett would not relinquish control, why did he? he did, so that must not have been the entire reason.

but the fact still is, garrett did what a vast majority said he was too ego-driven to do - get help.

then he's also critisized for that too, vs. praised for the move.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;4374824 said:
well, i don't think we'll ever really know why sprano or coaches go the way they go. we can assume it's ego or something "bad here" they don't want to be a part of.

sometimes it's just oil and water. on their own, both vital. together, problems. if sprano didn't come back could be his own reasons, could be garrett didn't want him back.

if garrett would not relinquish control, why did he? he did, so that must not have been the entire reason.

but the fact still is, garrett did what a vast majority said he was too ego-driven to do - get help.

then he's also critisized for that too, vs. praised for the move.

I think it came down to playcalling.

Despite the fact that Callahan is referred to as the offensive coordinator, it is being reported that, in fact, Garrett will still be calling the plays.

Sparano likely wanted to be given the opportunity to call his own plays. He wouldn't get that in Dallas, so he went to New York.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;4374861 said:

Despite the fact that Callahan is referred to as the offensive coordinator, it is being reported that, in fact, Garrett will still be calling the plays.

Sparano likely wanted to be given the opportunity to call his own plays. He wouldn't get that in Dallas, so he went to New York.

That may be it then again it could be Callahan and Garrett offensive philosophies are closer. Both were with Gruden at one time (Garrett as a player, Callahan as a coach)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stasheroo;4374861 said:

like hos and others have said - garrett will be calling the plays, but he'll have even more input on what to call. it's not like he's the sole decision maker but he has to make the final decision on these. the headset is connected to a lot of other minds passing on information. maybe the info is bad. maybe not. maybe it needs a "filter". while it's not the sexy OC many clamored for, it's a lot more than expected.

i'm fine with that and like anything else in life, wait and see how it turns out.

Gaede

Reaction score
This is fantastic news. I'm very glad that Garrett enlisted some experienced help, and especially one whose specialty is the OL. I never thought Garrett would do it. Gameplans and in game adjustments should be much improved.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Gaede;4374868 said:
This is fantastic news. I'm very glad that Garrett enlisted some experienced help, and especially one whose specialty is the OL. I never thought Garrett would do it. Gameplans and in game adjustments should be much improved.

a breathe of fresh air. :) i didn't think garrett would do it either. to me, since he did *at least this much* then perhaps my own impression of him is wrong and i need to keep evaluating.

or just decide he sucks regardless and move on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;4374867 said:
like hos and others have said - garrett will be calling the plays, but he'll have even more input on what to call. it's not like he's the sole decision maker but he has to make the final decision on these. the headset is connected to a lot of other minds passing on information. maybe the info is bad. maybe not. maybe it needs a "filter". while it's not the sexy OC many clamored for, it's a lot more than expected.

i'm fine with that and like anything else in life, wait and see how it turns out.

Completely agree.

A good add of a well-respected coach.

Let's hope for the best.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I think the posters that are complaining about the OC NOT CALLING THE PLAYS are taking the title literally, thinking that an OC is the one that should be calling plays. To me that is a stupid assumption.

Two heads are always better than one, and during the week game planning can be decided by both the OC and the HC if necessary, not just by the HC.

Garrett is not on the sidelines just listening to Johnny Cash on his headphones.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Callahan is a very experienced OC. I don't mind this pick up one bit.

If Sparano wasn't who Red wanted to work with, this guy can certainly help us.

In the past he has operated a very balanced offense with both very good running and passing attacks.

Mash

Reaction score
I dont know what the fuss is about....

We just hired a experienced coach....that is well respected....that some think is very smart.

He is a stickler to detail and technique......thats what his coached OL were known for.

We complained all year how unprepared our WR's and everyone is on offense except Romo (who was directing everyone.)

Now we have someone to help JG

The offense wont change. It may be sprinkled with some new things...but imho I expect to see a more prepared unit on offense.

I dont see Sparano being so much better that were doomed now because we have Callahan named as OC.

joseephuss

Reaction score
stasheroo;4374861 said:

I think it came down to the videoboard in Cowboys stadium being too bright, which hurt Sparano's eyes even while wearing the sunglasses.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;4375100 said:
I think it came down to the videoboard in Cowboys stadium being too bright, which hurt Sparano's eyes even while wearing the sunglasses.

Or that...

;)

wileedog

Reaction score
Dough Boy;4374633 said:
Here are a couple of ideas that have me cautiously excited:
1. Another guy with play-calling exp on the team - that's a plus no matter how you slice it.

2. Callahan knows the WCO; Maybe, just maybe we adopt a few of those principals. The short passing game. Against a blitzing team, that would be great. Not hot routes in the true WCO. Someone goes short, someone is intermediate and someone goes long; thus the responsibility is on the QB to make the read - not the WR. If you have a good QB that can read def and identify the blitzer - you can beat the blitz.

3. Callahan will have influence in the game plan. Again, this can only be good because it offers a check & balance system. Two guys with playing calling exp putting the plan together is much better than one.

4. If nothing else, Callahan will take some of the game management pressure off Garrett. One will call plays while the other can focus on game management. Even if its just having Callahan remind Garrett that he has 2 TO's left or just having an extra guy with exp offering up a tid bit of info - either way I'm not sure how anyone can say its a bad thing.

I'm most excited about #2. Adding some WCO plays to our repertoire of plays. All three of our WR would be great WCO WR. They all have great RAC ability.

Again, this is the GB and NO model. Both HC coach calls the play but they have an OC to put the plan together.

Saved me some typing.

This offseason I wanted an experienced OC that could get in Garrett's ear during the week and during the game. I would have preferred that he get some play calling duties, but I still can't possibly think that having a guy like Callahan speaking to Garrett in the headphones can be considered a bad thing when Red is about to do something goofy.

Whatever the title and/or its connotation, I have a hard time seeing this as a negative in any way, unless you just really don't like Callahan (which I understand for some of you Huskers).

ringmaster

Reaction score
5Stars;4374943 said:
I think the posters that are complaining about the OC NOT CALLING THE PLAYS are taking the title literally, thinking that an OC is the one that should be calling plays. To me that is a stupid assumption.

Two heads are always better than one, and during the week game planning can be decided by both the OC and the HC if necessary, not just by the HC.

Garrett is not on the sidelines just listening to Johnny Cash on his headphones.
It happens all the time with most HCs do most of us think that Pete Carmichael does all of the playcalling in NO with Payton that answer would be no.

As for Callahan being the OC here imo will infuse this offense abit more but does that mean he will call the plays of course not the thing that irks me about some here is that they wanted Garrett to bring in an OC more preferably Sparano here since that didn't happen and Garrett brought in someone else then they hate it really sad if you ask me.