Calling my shot: This team finishes 11-5 and makes it at least to the NFC Title

Boysboy

Reaction score
windward;2448797 said:
The NFC South could send three 11-5 teams, but it'll Atlanta and Craolina's schedule is pretty tough and they're not as talented as we are.

In fact, I'd bet Carolina and Atlanta lose this weekend.

They're both pretty darn good football teams this year. Like I said on other threads-as long as Delhomme is healthy and they have good RBs, the Panthers are contenders. And that Matt Ryan kid is the real deal for Atlanta.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Boysboy;2448805 said:
They're both pretty darn good football teams this year. Like I said on other threads-as long as Delhomme is healthy and they have good RBs, the Panthers are contenders. And that Matt Ryan kid is the real deal for Atlanta.
They're good. I just don't think they'll finish as strong as we do down the stretch.

Boysboy

Reaction score
windward;2448807 said:
They're good. I just don't think they'll finish as strong as we do down the stretch.

FWIW-beware of the national sports media tomorrow-they're already hyping the Eagles over how they'll be running the tables down the stretch.

I know they've done it before, and effectively(which is why they're the last team I would count out), but don't let last night's win fool you.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31;2448536 said:
A couple reasons for this prediction:

1: Pittsburgh's offense has been abysmal at times and they have one of the worst pass blocking lines in the league. Our pass rush is the most devastating in the league right now. If our offense can out up 17-24 points, we have a great shot to win.

2: New York may have the division and conference wrapped up when we play them. If so, we could win this game simply due to lack of motivation on their part.

3: Philly will be done when we play them. That team barely has any heart as it is. We should roll them.

4: Our likely wild card matchups, Arizona or GB/Chicago/Minnesota are far inferior to us talent wise and we might very well be the favorite even on the road. Arizona just got dogstomped by a team on the brink of disaster.

5: We get one playoff win and this team's confidence goes through the roof. Imagine this level of talent playing like they KNOW they will win? Scary.

6: We can stop the run as well as anyone and our pass rush is playing lights out. That can win you a lot of postseason games.

7: Tony Romo

8: DeMarcus Ware

9: Tony Romo

If you're counting on the Giants and Eagles to lay down, for whatever reason, well.......good luck widdat.

Anyways...ONE game atta time.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
When we play the Giants there will be no such thing as lack of motivation. They're the champs and champs don't have those problems, they are the real deal. On top of that, them beating us means we have a harder time getting into the playoffs, that's huge motivation for them as they'd rather face other teams in the playoffs. Let's not forget they want to keep their touch and continuity before the playoffs, a win against us reflects that.

Don't say there will be no motivation for Philly either whether they are in playoff contention or not. You say they are a team on the fringe of breaking down? Did not look like that yesterday against a team that beat us. We need to be focused and not for 1 bit under estimate any more games due to other teams circumstances.

The best thing for this team right now is to be playinga Pittsburgh type team after a win like this on a chump like Seattle. This team will have all the reson to be focused as opposed to get pig headed after a win like this. Hearing Tony Romo just before the start of the game, he didn't one bit under estimate Seattle and we came out blazing.

These are very good signs. However, as the game progressed our offense didn't seem very opportunistic and seemed to lose it's hunger and killer instinct. Not because we weren't capable of more points, just didn't seem as interested as we were in the first quarter. Our defense only got better as the game went on. Good teams dominate bad teams and that we did. We're starting to look like a very good team. Pittsburgh will let us know if we're ready to be great.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Bizwah;2448551 said:
I don't know.

My heart tells me that we CAN go 12-4....but my head is still saying 10-6.

I think it's too little too late.

We would've been better off had Folk missed the 53 yard FG in AZ to send it to OT.

:laugh2: Perhaps we'll take the average of your heart and your head and go 11-5. Still not bad for this team given the types of injuries we faced.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
well the two stats being tossed around yesterday were this.

The cowboys have never missed the playoffs after starting 8-4. Never.

and the cowboys are 18-3 when romos passer rating is above 100.

Pretty interesting.

lspain1

Reaction score
In reality, the Cowboys season may well come down to the game against Pittsburg. Next week's game will be pressure packed for the Cowboys IMO. Everyone, from Jerry on down, knows December has been bad. So, the confidence building MUST begin on the road against Pittsburg. If the Cowboys lose, the Giants will be salivating to finish us off.

I think next weeks game tells the story.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
10-6, no playoffs as we lose on tiebreakers.

December the cruel month is a coming............

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lspain1;2449012 said:
In reality, the Cowboys season may well come down to the game against Pittsburg. Next week's game will be pressure packed for the Cowboys IMO.
Right now that is all that matters. We start looking down the road or start taking games for granted we are in trouble.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
BigDinAZ;2448727 said:
I love your optimisium, but you have to remember a few things....

1. Giants - THEY HATE THE COWBOYS.... the fact that they might get the chance to ruin our playoff chances is motivation enough for them.

2. Eagels - Again, by the final week they might be on the outside looking in regardless of the out come of that game, but again.... a playoff spoiler is enough motivation for the iggles.

3. We don't control our destiny when it comes to the playoffs. We can win out the rest of the season, and still miss. We need other teams to stumble in December in order for us to talk playoffs.

I think this week-to-week mentallity that we have right now is the way we make the playoffs.

We DO control our own destiny because all the other wildcard contenders play games against each other. If you do the math, we cannot possibly miss the playoffs if we win out.

Boysboy

Reaction score
lspain1;2449012 said:
In reality, the Cowboys season may well come down to the game against Pittsburg. Next week's game will be pressure packed for the Cowboys IMO. Everyone, from Jerry on down, knows December has been bad. So, the confidence building MUST begin on the road against Pittsburg. If the Cowboys lose, the Giants will be salivating to finish us off.

I think next weeks game tells the story.

And needs to continue AFTER THAT. Remember in '06 when we won at The Meadowlands coming off Thanksgiving-after that, everyone thought that game was our CONFIDENCE BUILDER...only for TSTHTF after that.

Ditto last year-we won our following 2 games against Green Bay and Detroit after Thanksgiving, and all but took control of HFA...you know what happened after that.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
A couple reasons for this prediction:

1: Pittsburgh's offense has been abysmal at times and they have one of the worst pass blocking lines in the league. Our pass rush is the most devastating in the league right now. If our offense can out up 17-24 points, we have a great shot to win.

2: New York may have the division and conference wrapped up when we play them. If so, we could win this game simply due to lack of motivation on their part.

3: Philly will be done when we play them. That team barely has any heart as it is. We should roll them.

4: Our likely wild card matchups, Arizona or GB/Chicago/Minnesota are far inferior to us talent wise and we might very well be the favorite even on the road. Arizona just got dogstomped by a team on the brink of disaster.

5: We get one playoff win and this team's confidence goes through the roof. Imagine this level of talent playing like they KNOW they will win? Scary.

6: We can stop the run as well as anyone and our pass rush is playing lights out. That can win you a lot of postseason games.

7: Tony Romo

8: DeMarcus Ware

9: Tony Romo

Because we havent lost the 5th game.

I stay with 12-4 :)

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
Rod Woodson made a good point(believe it or not) last night on the NFL Network. He said that the Cowboys definitely need to win the two NFC games they have left. If they lose to Pitt and/or Balt that won't hurt as much but with the tiebreakers coming into play it is a must to win those two NFC games. That puts our NFC record at 8-4 with at worst a 10-6 record. I think that gets us in the playoffs. Of course, I would rather not make it this way. I like the 11-5, 12-4 way of thinking.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
bootsy;2449959 said:
Rod Woodson made a good point(believe it or not) last night on the NFL Network. He said that the Cowboys definitely need to win the two NFC games they have left. If they lose to Pitt and/or Balt that won't hurt as much but with the tiebreakers coming into play it is a must to win those two NFC games. That puts our NFC record at 8-4 with at worst a 10-6 record. I think that gets us in the playoffs. Of course, I would rather not make it this way. I like the 11-5, 12-4 way of thinking.

Sure, this is absolutely true as far as tiebreakers are concerned. Woodson will be doing cartwheels if we lose to the Steelers.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Pittsburgh.

Why is everyone so scared of this club? Yes their defense is fairly stout, but they CANNOT pass protect and are a slightly above average offensive football team. I think we win this game, and I think we win rather easily.... UNLESS the field is a mockery after the PA HS Championships scheduled the day prior. Then it's a coin flip.

NYG. If we beat Pittsburgh... I think we are on a tremendous roll and beat the Jints at our house. I still think we are better than the Giants going back to last season and I think the team is relishing the opportunity to play them again healthy.

Balt: I think this game is the lock of all the remaining games. We tend to dominate avg to below avg offensive teams and the Ravens despite Flacco's heady play are still below avg. I don't think the Ravens can score the points necessary to win this game whether it is 10 or 24.

Philly: This one I don't like as a season closer and it will depend on where Philly remains in the wild card hunt. If they've been eliminated, this one's a breeze. If they can get in by beating us.... it's another coin flip.

I really think we Run the Table.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score

Arizona is a tough team to play in 'Zona. And I think the last thing this team needs is more confidence.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I believe this team wins 3 of 4 and gets the #5 seed. There is still an outside shot that they win the division - if the Giants lose to the Commanders this weekend, and the Cowboys beat them the following weekend, it could put on the path for a December like we had last year. After those two tough division games, the Giants still have the Panthers and Vikings, two more 2008 playoff teams.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We just need to take them one at a time.

We match up with Pittsburg well. We can outscore them and I think we win by ten.

We match up with the Giants well. I think we can beat them by more than two TDs. Will we? Not making that bet. But we are a better team and capable of rolling them.

Bal has as good a D as Pittsburg. Won't matter unless we beat ourselves. No one is going to stop us when we are healthy and don't undermine ourselves. A rookie QB won't be able to handle our D.

Philly scares me a little. I'd love to go in there and knock them out of the playoffs. I think they are going to take themselves out but we'll see.

One at a time.