Twitter: Calvin Watkins: As of Sunday afternoon, Cowboys and Dak are not close to a deal

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
@PAPPYDOG lets celebrate

tenor.gif

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It was never going to happen. Teams who believe they have a franchise QB find a way to get this thing done. If the Cowboys don't get this done then at this point they are telling you they are not completely sold on Dak. I guess they have 3 days left
They aren't completely sold yet they invested a 31 million dollar tag in him lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
no point in signing him more than the tag. Guarantees his services for a year, lets you evaluate without being tied down, and if you find someone else there you go.
That's a stupid way to handle it. They should either trade him or let him go and go with Dalton that way they can have a good draft pick and get a QB of the the future in next years draft if they aren't sold on Dak.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I honestly never envision us getting to this point. If they can't reach a deal by the 15th, it's certainly not a reach to question Dak's long-term future as a Cowboy. Odds are this is only going get harder next year.......IMO they both are being stubborn and I'm nearly worn out over the whole thing.

I know it may sound crazy but maybe, just maybe, this is what THEY BOTH WANT. I mean you can make a solid case for both waiting until next year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
it's a one year deal, c'mon you know what i mean
I don't. If they aren't sold on him by now...they won't ever be.

I just don't get it.

They weren't sold on him last year and the raised his value up. Its like what are they expecting? If he goes out there and he is a top 5 MVP candidate he raises his contract EVEN MORE.

They are playing a very dumb game and I honestly don't think they are playing it. I think they get something done on July 15th for that reason alone. Either they let him walk/trade him or they re-sign him.

MetalMike

Reaction score
Selling out the entire farm to Dak for an extreme amount of $$$$$$ in the hopes of a championship is a crap-shoot. There are great QB's coming into the NFL every year. Locking Dak for the next 4-5 years at the present projections is dubious at best. Mahomes has already proven that he's that kind of QB. Dak hasn't. Lofty stats and 8-8 don't equate. Wins do.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They aren't completely sold yet they invested a 31 million dollar tag in him lol.

True but there are other factors I presume in play such as politics within the locker room and outside of it so Jerry probably needed to give Dak the 31 million PITY TAG.
Hey, Jerry might have some hope as little as it may be that his choice back in 2016 was the correct one (as billionaires have huge egos) and is willing to give Prescott one final chance.
But why bother talking about the sauce its the meat that matters and here we are not wasting 3-5 years on a very talent limited in many aspects of the game QB!
No hate just facts as the kid simply doesn't have it and never will.....happens in the NFL every year!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
True but there are other factors I presume in play such as politics within the locker room and outside of it so Jerry probably needed to give Dak the 31 million PITY TAG.
Hey, Jerry might have some hope as little as it may be that his choice back in 2016 was the correct one (as billionaires have huge egos) and is willing to give Prescott one final chance.
But why bother talking about the sauce its the meat that matters and here we are not wasting 3-5 years on a very talent limited in many aspects of the game QB!
No hate just facts as the kid simply doesn't have it and never will.....happens in the NFL every year!
31 million is a hell of a lot for a "pity tag"........

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don't. If they aren't sold on him by now...they won't ever be.

I just don't get it.

They weren't sold on him last year and the raised his value up. Its like what are they expecting? If he goes out there and he is a top 5 MVP candidate he raises his contract EVEN MORE.

They are playing a very dumb game and I honestly don't think they are playing it
. I think they get something done on July 15th for that reason alone. Either they let him walk/trade him or they re-sign him.

1000%........makes me wonder if something going on behind close doors that may have impact their thinking. ( Dalton and/or current financial state of the league). The logics aren't adding up.......remember Stephen said a couple of months ago " we need to land this plane".

12+88=7

Reaction score
What's the big deal?

He's going to play under the tag. No need for the team to sign Prescott to a long term deal(a variation of why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free). Let this year play out and negotiate next off season.

If I were the team I would tag him again in 2021. This gives McCarthy two years to evaluate Prescott. If after two years it doesn't work out the team can cut ties with no strings attached. And if Dallas wins then you sign Prescott to a long term deal and pay the asking price.

I see no downside for Dallas approaching the Prescott contract in this manner.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
1000%........makes me wonder if something going on behind close doors that may have impact their thinking. ( Dalton and/or current financial state of the league). The logics aren't adding up.......remember Stephen said a couple of months ago " we need to land this plane".
Yeah it truly makes no sense. Even this. year....they aren't "sold on him yet" so what do they do? They draft Lamb, bring in McCarthy who's considered a "qb guru"....so you want him to raise his value even MORE. It makes no sense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What's the big deal?

He's going to play under the tag. No need for the team to sign Prescott to a long term deal(a variation of why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free). Let this year play out and negotiate next off season.

If I were the team I would tag him again in 2021. This gives McCarthy two years to evaluate Prescott. If after two years it doesn't work out the team can cut ties with no strings attached. And if Dallas wins then you sign Prescott to a long term deal and pay the asking price.

I see no downside for Dallas approaching the Prescott contract in this manner.
Because why sign him for 40 million year or two from now when you can sign him for 35-37 million now? Because had they signed him two years ago they could've got him for even cheaper.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Talk is cheap and money talks and BS walks yada yada yada yada.....
Prescott is pretty much NFL roadkill at this point and if you figure how bad he handles pressure this coming season will be his last wearing the star for many reasons!

P.S.Listing the reasons would take forever and I haven't had my coffee yet.....