Twitter: Calvin Watkins: As of Sunday afternoon, Cowboys and Dak are not close to a deal

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If they outright pull the tag and let him walk then there will be some in the locker room who may become buttt hurt. Because they will feel Jerry done Dak dirty.

People say Dak is owed after the last 4 years. Well 31 million comes out to about 7 1/2 Million for each year owed
So you believe they HAVE to sign Dak because if they don't its going to be people in the locker room butt hurt?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You need to think of the McCarthy angle. If you sign Prescott to a long term deal you now have handcuffed your head coach. McCarthy had a rough relationship with Rodgers and everyone knew what he had at QB.

Go with the tag and let's see how this year plays out for Prescott, McCarthy, and Dallas.

Don't worry about the market and price. This will always be worked out.
To me McCarthy is irrelevant. If McCarthy didnt' want Dak but Jerry and Stephen did? Jerry and Stephen overrule. Dak is not auditioning for McCarthy.

Because it helps the team. Remember the Dallas Cowboys
But that's my point. You are "helping your team" but as a result you are increasing his value. It makes no sense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We know where you're trying to take this.....I personally refuse to follow you to HATE LAND......:facepalm:
I'm not taking this anywhere you are the one who brought up "politics" and I'm not sure what aspect you are referencing. You are trying to have it both ways. You tell us Dak suck but say they can't get rid of him because of "politics" as if politics have saved peoples jobs in the past....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak was a Garrett and Scott Linehan find. Now that McCarthy is here things will change.

If that means we move on from Dak so be it. Dak is not the type of special player that can win you a game by himself. Surround him with talent and he will flourish but take away that talent and he’s just a guy.
You will be the Cleveland Browns looking for the next Patrick Mahomes....even though Patrick Mahomes didn't win a game "by himself". Such a outdated and silly standard for being a quarterback in this league...."win by yourself" even though no one does.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So you believe they HAVE to sign Dak because if they don't its going to be people in the locker room butt hurt?

Extra butt hurt in the locker room would be a good thing. Jerry caved on Zeke and DLaw. He has a chance to set a new standards with the new HC.

Jerry shouldn't be begging high profile players to wear the Star. They get massive benefits from the marketing clout Jerry provides. If a player expects to get "market value" *plus* the windfall that Jerry provides that few teams can come close to, Jerry should tell them to take a hike, they're not Cowboy material.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Extra butt hurt in the locker room would be a good thing. Jerry caved on Zeke and DLaw. He has a chance to set a new standards with the new HC.

Jerry shouldn't be begging high profile players to wear the Star. They get massive benefits from the marketing clout Jerry provides. If a player expects to get "market value" *plus* the windfall that Jerry provides that few teams can come close to, Jerry should tell them to take a hike, they're not Cowboy material.

While somewhat true its not true for guys like Zeke or Dak or Lawrence.....marketing clout from Jerry helps the 2nd and 3rd tier guys like the David Irving's in the past or the or a Jeff Heath.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But that's my point. You are "helping your team" but as a result you are increasing his value. It makes no sense.

Dak and McCarthy are auditioning to each other. It's not in either's interest to hitch themselves together to draw the Cowboys wagon unless they're a good fit together.

Both sides could plan to play out the year under the tag to see how well they work together. Could, but I think next year is too late. With only a year to wait, Dak will want to hit free agency unless Jerry makes a ridiculous offer.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak and McCarthy are auditioning to each other. It's not in either's interest to hitch themselves together to draw the Cowboys wagon unless they're a good fit together.

Both sides could plan to play out the year under the tag to see how well they work together. Could, but I think next year is too late. With only a year to wait, Dak will want to hit free agency unless Jerry makes a ridiculous offer.
And who exactly is Dak auditioning for?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
While somewhat true its not true for guys like Zeke or Dak or Lawrence.....marketing clout from Jerry helps the 2nd and 3rd tier guys like the David Irving's in the past or the or a Jeff Heath.

I think it helps the top guys more assuredly and with a lot more absolute dollars.

The low tier guys *might* make something too, but I expect the overwhelming majority don't.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Whether McCarthy wants him as QB. McCarthy's opinion matters, especially with the difficulties they've already experienced signing Dak.
Yeah you're giving him far too much credit. If McCarthy went 5-11 next season he'd have one foot out the door. He does not have Jerry by the balls like Garrett did. I'd even go as far as to say Dak's job is more secure than McCarthy's is at this point. McCarthy was signed here with him knowing Dak would be his quarterback. If he had a issue with that he wouldn't have been here.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I think playing under the rage this year, and I think this is coming from MM’s influence.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Yeah you're giving him far too much credit. If McCarthy went 5-11 next season he'd have one foot out the door. He does not have Jerry by the balls like Garrett did. I'd even go as far as to say Dak's job is more secure than McCarthy's is at this point. McCarthy was signed here with him knowing Dak would be his quarterback. If he had a issue with that he wouldn't have been here.

I will say this right now, McCarthy will be here longer than Prescott.

If Dallas falls on it's face, it is Prescott that will absolutely be gone.

Prescott isn't McCarthy's guy. McCarthy has until he chooses his guy and doesn't win that he will be shown the door.

I can't believe you said McCarthy is irrelevant. That's just ridiculous. If that's the case, you just don't see the whole picture.

Bigdog

Reaction score
And all Jerry has to do is do what he did with his OTHER players, just sign the guy for 4. How hard is that?
I think that has been proposed but Dak and his agent didn’t like the the lower money then.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree with you and next seasons draft they will draft his replacement and ease him into the lineup

So tell me if the Cowboys end up with a 12-4 or 11-5 record and get into the playoffs which means they will draft toward the end of the round, just who will this QB be? And then In 2021 Prescott and the Cowboys start off 4-1 or 5-1 just when would this golden replacement start? I mean if you can speculate one way shouldn't others be able to speculate another way?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It was never going to happen. Teams who believe they have a franchise QB find a way to get this thing done. If the Cowboys don't get this done then at this point they are telling you they are not completely sold on Dak. I guess they have 3 days left

So teams that think they have a star player don't apply the tag 2 years in a row.? Gee I remember Lawrence getting tagged in 2018 and playing on that tag and then got tagged again for 2019 but just days later sign his long term contract. Tell me when did Jerry and Stephen tell you that they really don't want Prescott? Those that don't like Prescott will use any rationale that gets Prescott out of Dallas even if there is nothing said by anyone in the Cowboys organization to support that rationale. Before you jump back with me being some big Prescott fan, I'm not but I also don't think he's anywhere close to being as bad as those that want to get rid of Prescott do.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We don’t know what Dak is asking for. I actually think the Joneses offered him a fair deal but his agent wants top dollar. France probably wants Dak to go the Cousins route.
If dak wants to play on the tag , he isnt going to sign any contract they offer. It is that simple.
I have said all along he was going to play on the tag, and it looks like that is the case.