Camp news and tweets 7.24

Zman5

Reaction score
Parcells used to make his OL wear knee braces during camp.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Same old ish, just a different day with you:rolleyes:

Maybe you should read the thread and see who started this latest exchange.
I can't help it if people are super sensitive.
You can always put me on ignore. And it won't even hurt my feelings. :)

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
So, he is admitting the defensive coaching was a problem? If so, why did all the coaches return?

I think he's saying like players the coaches want/expect/will be better given another year of life and experience.

But way to be negative.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Maybe you should read the thread and see who started this latest exchange.
I can't help it if people are super sensitive.
You can always put me on ignore. And it won't even hurt my feelings. :)

I despise the idea of ignoring anyone.
If a remark annoys me too much- I debate it.
If the debater is a close-minded twit- I make it evident for all to see in a public forum.

If the debater is better than I- hopefully I learned from the exchange (but pride dictates that's most likely doubtful, but I try as I humanly can) and I came away with a new appreciation of the person's argument.

The people who continuously parrot themselves with their neverending remarks on the FO and everything Cowboys in a negative manner day after day and thread after thread: Good for them. Some of those posts are darn humorous in their own right so I don't like to miss those, but otherwise they are easy to skip over by continuing to scroll and not giving them the time of day. Giving a goof unwarranted attention makes the goof more than they are warranted. Which in turn makes you more the goof than the goof is.

No need to name names. They're most likely pretty proud of their standing on this board enough without my doing anything to further that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am surprised by the lack of reports from practice.

this morning, watch for quite a few I would think.
Time difference, so by the time they get them out, most people won't see them until today anyway.
Seems to make sense, maybe I'm wrong.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I posted this a month or so ago but again, the Chargers did a four year study, everybody wore knee braces for 2 years and then went 2 years without; there was no discernible difference in strains and tears either way.

The Effectiveness of Prophylactic Knee Braces in Preventing ACL Injuries

The use of prophylactic knee braces to prevent knee injuries has long been a contentious area of research. The best study to date of prophylactic knee braces and ACL injury remains a prospective, randomized study of 1396 cadets playing intramural tackle football at the U.S. Military Academy (Sitler et al. 1990). This study showed that prophylactic knee brace use did not significantly decrease the severity of ACL and MCL injuries. There was, however, a trend toward a reduced rate of less severe ACL and MCL injuries in athletes who used braces (Sitler et al. 1990).

On the basis of the data published in that paper, we compute that the rate of ACL injury in the nonbraced cadets was 3.0 times higher (95%CI: 1.0-9.2) than in braced cadets. It should be noted that the number of ACL injuries was small. Only 16 ACL injuries occurred: four in the braced and 12 in the nonbraced condition. Other large epidemiologic studies conducted to date have focused on the effectiveness of prophylactic braces in reducing MCL injuries in the sport of football; however, these investigations have not dealt with the effect of bracing on the reduction of ACL injuries (Albright et al. 1994a, 1994b; Hewson, Mendini, and Wang 1986; Teitz et al. 1987). The efficacy of prophylactic knee braces in preventing ACL disruptions remains an unanswered question (Najibi and Albright 2005).

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Only if you are not used to them. Once you are used to wearing them you only really notice them at the extreme ends of the range of motion.

Yeah, for OL and DL it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I wore one and was a running back. I only wore it for the first year because it was a bit of a bother. It didn't really limit me, it just had to be readjusted a few times a game.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Braces also mitigate hyperextensions and hyperflex injuries, I am talking about the braces that use composite or aluminum rods since most have stops in place to stop over flexing or extending.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The Effectiveness of Prophylactic Knee Braces in Preventing ACL Injuries

The use of prophylactic knee braces to prevent knee injuries has long been a contentious area of research. The best study to date of prophylactic knee braces and ACL injury remains a prospective, randomized study of 1396 cadets playing intramural tackle football at the U.S. Military Academy (Sitler et al. 1990). This study showed that prophylactic knee brace use did not significantly decrease the severity of ACL and MCL injuries. There was, however, a trend toward a reduced rate of less severe ACL and MCL injuries in athletes who used braces (Sitler et al. 1990).

On the basis of the data published in that paper, we compute that the rate of ACL injury in the nonbraced cadets was 3.0 times higher (95%CI: 1.0-9.2) than in braced cadets. It should be noted that the number of ACL injuries was small. Only 16 ACL injuries occurred: four in the braced and 12 in the nonbraced condition. Other large epidemiologic studies conducted to date have focused on the effectiveness of prophylactic braces in reducing MCL injuries in the sport of football; however, these investigations have not dealt with the effect of bracing on the reduction of ACL injuries (Albright et al. 1994a, 1994b; Hewson, Mendini, and Wang 1986; Teitz et al. 1987). The efficacy of prophylactic knee braces in preventing ACL disruptions remains an unanswered question (Najibi and Albright 2005).

They have to stretch that out a little more. Only 16 ACL injuries were tested?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yeah, for OL and DL it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I wore one and was a running back. I only wore it for the first year because it was a bit of a bother. It didn't really limit me, it just had to be readjusted a few times a game.

Maybe it stems from having to use so much "sudden" power/agility because of their presnap stance? Would that impede their flexibility considering their lower stances and smaller area of the field to work with (line of scrimmage/trenches)?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
They have to stretch that out a little more. Only 16 ACL injuries were tested?

Its hard to do a study of this nature. ACL injuries are not that common to begin with. And you don't really want to go around intentionally trying to blow someone's knee out to see if a brace would prevent it or not.

I know from wearing one that I felt a lot more protected from any blows hitting my knee area. That's how I injured it to begin with. I had my leg extended after catching a pass and the guy just imploded my leg from the side, completely collapsing it. If I had been wearing a brace at the time, I know it wouldn't have been as bad. And lineman get caught up in all of the bodies flying around near the line of scrimmage. Getting leg whipped, rolled up on, etc. A brace would prevent those types of injuries from being as serious.

But in the case of Sean Lee? I don't think a brace would have helped him. Maybe, but like it's been said, if you plant your leg and you hyper extend it laterally, a brace probably won't help much.