Can Dak break into Elite QB Tier?

Hadenough

Reaction score
What are you guys expecting out of Dak this year? I’m not talking about the number of TDs and yards, I’m talking just about his level of play?

I’m expecting Dak to make a huge jump in terms of his decision making skills (timing) and internal clock. I expect him to start carrying the team on a regular basis. I’m expecting him to run the ball several times per game and start hurting defenses and keeping them honest.

I think you are going to see the best version of Dak by far. If Zeke is out I can also see Dak getting killed by a missed blitz pickup by a RB.
I've been watching football for 40 years and I cant remember one QB that went from avg to elite. Usually what you see is what you get. They can definitely improve but the first thing you have to realize is any elite QB has arm talent and he builds off that and hones his talent as years progress by also working on reading defenses and getting better pocket awareness. Dak will never be elite because he just doesnt have that accurate gun for an arm. Sure he will get better at other things and he might make it to the edge of being a top 10 QB. That's how I view Dak.

jnday

Reaction score
In intangible ways he is already elite. But not in the way your run of the mill fan thinks. I don't think he will ever put up elite numbers like Rogers, Brees, Mahones, ect...ect…. And that doesn't bother me in the least.
Dak does have great intangibles. I dislike having him as the starting QB in Dallas probably more than any other poster on this board, but I will give him credit when credit is due. Unfortunately, Dak doesn’t have the talent in the areas needed to be an elite or even an above average QB. Posters on this board massively overrate Dak compared to the rest of the football world. It does bother me that Dallas will be stuck with s QB that requires top talent surrounding him to even play average. When the talent slowly leaves one by one, Dallas will be stuck with a QB that can not elevate the play of his teammates. After Jerry throws all that money away to have a below average QB, it will haunt the team for years to come. It will also prevent Herry from even considering upgrading the position which I think can and should be done. Most pro QBs can flourish with all this talent surrounding them.

fansince68

Reaction score
That will always be up for debate in most people’s minds. But really.....who is to say definitively?

Unless he goes down the field like Brees and is clutch like Brady, wins playoff games every year.....he will probably be viewed as a 2nd tier guy.
Ummm he's currently viewed as 3rd tier. Pocket awareness and anticipation on his middle to deep throws. We didnt see enough of him this preseason to judge which is why I push negotiations into the season or afterwards. If Dak takes what Carson makes, we sign today.

Big D

Reaction score
We don't necessarily need him to break into the the elite qb tier. We need him to lead the team into the next round of playoff games and beyond. I see that on the horizon.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Elite? No no top 10? Maybe in in couple years

If Moore does with the offense what I expect, Dak could end up top 5.

The offense looks to me like it depends of Dak making calls at the line and after the snap for who runs the ball, including himself, and whether to try to hit balls deep over the top.

He'll get his rushing TDs. If Dak can hit deep balls reliably this year, he'll be in elite talk.

The deep balls will bump up his ypt. And higlite reel. His completion percentage has always been good. He runs and get TDs. And he will be the guy making the decisions on the field.

Whether or not Dak is elite will probably be a huge topic, as he won't be an elite passer, but could arguably be an elite QB, making it something that talking heads can argue about.

ghst187

Reaction score
Dak does have great intangibles. I dislike having him as the starting QB in Dallas probably more than any other poster on this board, but I will give him credit when credit is due. Unfortunately, Dak doesn’t have the talent in the areas needed to be an elite or even an above average QB. Posters on this board massively overrate Dak compared to the rest of the football world. It does bother me that Dallas will be stuck with s QB that requires top talent surrounding him to even play average. When the talent slowly leaves one by one, Dallas will be stuck with a QB that can not elevate the play of his teammates. After Jerry throws all that money away to have a below average QB, it will haunt the team for years to come. It will also prevent Herry from even considering upgrading the position which I think can and should be done. Most pro QBs can flourish with all this talent surrounding them.

The whole debate about top ten or elite is honestly kinda worthless.
We had Romo and the same talent and Dak seemed to bring out the best in the team and yes he did elevate the team, not by his arm but by his poise, leadership, good decisions, and not faltering in the clutch. Dak isn’t going to win any skills contests vs Brees or Brady, but he can def win a lot of games and he’s a great fit for the team we have now. We had “elite” QB skills in Romo and we didn’t get close to winning it all. Dak’s a different cat but one I believe we can and will win with. But don’t mistake that for me saying he’s a top 5 QB and Aaron Rodgers-types only come around s few times per decade.

staubach24

Reaction score
He’d have to “break in” to the top tier, because he’d never make it in on his own merit.

nobody

Reaction score
I think Dak’s physical arm talent is a little better than advertised but he doesn’t have a cannon for an arm.

Better throwing mechanics increases not only accuracy but distance. I think we'll see Dak through longer and better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Ok........I disagree on the talent part. You probably hated him for some weird reason and just see only those things that further your hatred.

Dak has all the talent. And elevating his teammates is EXACTLY what he does. So we will just have to disagree on that one.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yeah, but he's pushed us to a lot more wins than he's screwed us into losses so far.
Ya, we've not witnessed the self inflicted gunshot wound to our hoped for come back victory late game drives by the #4 ,,,er,,, like what was a coin toss chance from the #9,,,all that much,yet.o_O

HungryLion

Reaction score
Ok........I disagree on the talent part. You probably hated him for some weird reason and just see only those things that further your hatred.

Dak has all the talent. And elevating his teammates is EXACTLY what he does. So we will just have to disagree on that one.

For some perspective:

Some of the same people who claim Dak lacks physical talent, were also talking up Mike White’s “arm talent” when the cowboys drafted him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
For some perspective:

Some of the same people who claim Dak lacks physical talent, were also talking up Mike White’s “arm talent” when the cowboys drafted him.

I have zero interest in talking to a bunch of trolls that made up their mind 3 years ago. It really is sad.

Same type of trolls did the same thing with Romo for 10 years. This time around, I will just put them on ignore.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Idk. We may see that he's significantly improved, which would be nice. As long as he can consistently move the ball down the field and score TDs I will be happy. I like Dak, I just want to see him improve at a handful of important key areas, and I'm cautiously optimistic that he has.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have zero interest in talking to a bunch of trolls that made up their mind 3 years ago. It really is sad.

Same type of trolls did the same thing with Romo for 10 years. This time around, I will just put them on ignore.

People just seem to prioritize the wrong skills.

Arm strength and natural “arm talent” are important in that a QB needs a certain amount of arm strength to make throws required in the NFL. Anything beyond that minimum required strength is icing on the cake but far less important than other skills/abilities that QB’s need.

Poise, leadership, ability to stay calm under intense pressure situations, work ethic, intelligence, decision making are all incredibly important necessities for a really good QB to have.

Add in the fact that for some god forsaken reason some posters think quarterbacks are finished products in their third seasons. Despite the long list of past QB’s who have continued to improve beyond 3 years in the league.

It boggles the mind.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
People just seem to prioritize the wrong skills.

Arm strength and natural “arm talent” are important in that a QB needs a certain amount of arm strength to make throws required in the NFL. Anything beyond that minimum required strength is icing on the cake but far less important than other skills/abilities that QB’s need.

Poise, leadership, ability to stay calm under intense pressure situations, work ethic, intelligence, decision making are all incredibly important necessities for a really good QB to have.

Add in the fact that for some god forsaken reason some posters think quarterbacks are finished products in their third seasons. Despite the long list of past QB’s who have continued to improve beyond 3 years in the league.

It boggles the mind.

Trolls will be trolls. I could care less what they think.

No reasoning with a troll.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He'll get his rushing TDs.
I think he will but Im not sure I want Dak rushing for TDs unless its the playoffs. Running with the football is fine but he needs to know when to go down. I think it was in the Seattle game where he did a flip and landed on his head but was fine. Those are the plays that will end up hurting him. He is tough guy but its just a matter of time before a QB that runs and is willing to take hits gets hurt. Just look at Cam Newton.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think he will but Im not sure I want Dak rushing for TDs unless its the playoffs. Running with the football is fine but he needs to know when to go down. I think it was in the Seattle game where he did a flip and landed on his head but was fine. Those are the plays that will end up hurting him. He is tough guy but its just a matter of time before a QB that runs and is willing to take hits gets hurt. Just look at Cam Newton.

We're too conservative with Dak. He's built like a FB, and has a history of running in college. Is getting pounded in the pocket as a stationary target supposed to be a picnic? But you're right that he does need to go down, and I'd dial it down in the regular season, and open it up in the playoffs.

Like many things, he seemed more in control as a rookie, taking the prudent slides earlier in the play.

Our offense should be a run first team with multiple run threats. Not letting Dak be one of them is leaving a lot of money on the table.