Can Dak break into Elite QB Tier?

Skillit

Reaction score
Ummm he's currently viewed as 3rd tier. Pocket awareness and anticipation on his middle to deep throws. We didnt see enough of him this preseason to judge which is why I push negotiations into the season or afterwards. If Dak takes what Carson makes, we sign today.

I’m not going to dilly over which ‘tier’ he is. You’re saying ‘he is viewed as a third tier’ like it’s a probable fact (that you get your football opinions from espn.). I saw the same but where the guy used the same exact line about pocket awareness and anticipation.....

You either have ‘the guy’ or ‘maybe the guy.’ After that, you are still drafting QBs or searching for FA’s. You want to say he’s a third option / level guy......so, ok- who would you trade Dak for right now, straight up?

I’ll wait.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I've been watching football for 40 years and I cant remember one QB that went from avg to elite. Usually what you see is what you get. They can definitely improve but the first thing you have to realize is any elite QB has arm talent and he builds off that and hones his talent as years progress by also working on reading defenses and getting better pocket awareness. Dak will never be elite because he just doesnt have that accurate gun for an arm. Sure he will get better at other things and he might make it to the edge of being a top 10 QB. That's how I view Dak.

Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger (arguable), Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, Troy Aikman.

None of those QB’s were elite their first 2-3 seasons in the league. They were all very average their first few years in the league and became elite over time. And these are just the ones off the top of my head.

I’m not saying Dak is or will be as good as these guys. I’m not saying Dak will become elite. But to say that QB’s are either elite or not elite right out of the gate, is just not true at all.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger (arguable), Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, Troy Aikman.

None of those QB’s were elite their first 2-3 seasons in the league. They were all very average their first few years in the league and became elite over time. And these are just the ones off the top of my head.

I’m not saying Dak is or will be as good as these guys. I’m not saying Dak will become elite. But to say that QB’s are either elite or not elite right out of the gate, is just not true at all.

Don't forget Matt Ryan

HungryLion

Reaction score
Don't forget Matt Ryan

Another good one. Thank you.

I mean the history is pretty clear. There are a LOT of QB’s who continue to improve after their 3rd year in the league.

I have no clue where the idea case from that QB’s don’t improve after more than a few years in the league. It’s not based in reality at all.

Last edited:

kumizi

Reaction score
I think he can become a top 10 QB if he keeps working at it. <20% chance he ever becomes elite. The arm talent and accuracy just aren't there.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Don't forget Matt Ryan

You could even add the GOAT Tom Brady to the list.

The poise, leadership and clutch late game play was there from the beginning. But Brady wasn’t lighting teams up his first few years in the league, and he certainly wasn’t carrying a mediocre team either.

Brady clearly improved leaps and bounds over the course of his career. Which is why he is the GOAT because he kept improving more and more.

Techsass

Reaction score
Ya, we've not witnessed the self inflicted gunshot wound to our hoped for come back victory late game drives by the #4 ,,,er,,, like what was a coin toss chance from the #9,,,all that much,yet.o_O
Careful I'm an unrealistic Romo fan. Even with all of his faults, I always felt we had a chance whenever he was playing. I'm talking back when Lee was really our only D player of note & he convinced the world that Dez was a stud.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Careful I'm an unrealistic Romo fan. Even with all of his faults, I always felt we had a chance whenever he was playing. I'm talking back when Lee was really our only D player of note & he convinced the world that Dez was a stud.
:lmao: Man, I am/ was one as well, till I've taken more notice of how #4 has appeared (to me) in being of a much more methodically cocksure natured grasp in the closing out of tight games,,,I loved watching #9 play Q.B. for us,but he's gone away.

fansince68

Reaction score
I’m not going to dilly over which ‘tier’ he is. You’re saying ‘he is viewed as a third tier’ like it’s a probable fact (that you get your football opinions from espn.). I saw the same but where the guy used the same exact line about pocket awareness and anticipation.....

You either have ‘the guy’ or ‘maybe the guy.’ After that, you are still drafting QBs or searching for FA’s. You want to say he’s a third option / level guy......so, ok- who would you trade Dak for right now, straight up?

I’ll wait.
You misunderstood me. I like Dak but his skill level is not on par with 1st or 2nd tier QBs. If he gets 30 million it's on hell of a day for him. If Dak sucks this season, it's a good chance we are in striking distance to draft a qb in the 1st or 2nd round anyway.

Hadenough

Reaction score

All the QBs you mentioned early on in their careers would show they have the arm talent for making very difficult throws that require accuracy.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This is called deflecting because your original point was wrong.
No my original point that I've never see an NFL QB go from avg to elite still stands. All the QBs you mentioned were elite QBs that had honed their talents to become elite. They may have played like an avg QB their first season as they were learning but they were special and just needed to hone their game.

HungryLion

Reaction score
No my original point that I've never see an NFL QB go from avg to elite still stands. All the QBs you mentioned were elite QBs that had honed their talents to become elite. They may have played like an avg QB their first season as they were learning but they were special and just needed to hone their game.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

sean10mm

Reaction score

Yeah no, this is just incoherent. A guy isn't elite before he figures out how to play like it.

Nobody was just assuming Aikman would be a triple champion Hall of Famer in 1991 before he ever did anything.

Hadenough

Reaction score
People
Yeah no, this is just incoherent. A guy isn't elite before he figures out how to play like it.

Nobody was just assuming Aikman would be a triple champion Hall of Famer in 1991 before he ever did anything.
If he didnt already have a it in him he never would become great. Its God given talent combined with hard work. It's not something anyone can achieve through hard work and coaching or there would be more elite QBs.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
for the cowboys to get where they want to go dak has to keep getting better and better this season hinges on how well dak does and not zeke

Hadenough

Reaction score
for the cowboys to get where they want to go dak has to keep getting better and better this season hinges on how well dak does and not zeke
I agree! And Dak doesnt have to be elite if the defense is playing great. But I really think Dak is gonna need Zeke to beat the better teams.

csirl

Reaction score

No no no. This is simply not true. Troy Aikman looked like an elite QB straight out of the box.

I'm sure someone will trot out stats from '89 to try to prove me wrong, but its not about stats. Aikman played on the worst Cowboys team jn history - last in the league with a 1-15 record and rookie coaching squad. But at all times he looked the real deal in spite of the team.

HungryLion

Reaction score
No no no. This is simply not true. Troy Aikman looked like an elite QB straight out of the box.

I'm sure someone will trot out stats from '89 to try to prove me wrong, but its not about stats. Aikman played on the worst Cowboys team jn history - last in the league with a 1-15 record and rookie coaching squad. But at all times he looked the real deal in spite of the team.

Aikman wasn’t playing at an elite level as a rookie, or even a 2nd or 3rd year QB.

Sure he showed signs of greatness. But we are talking about overall level of play. Overall level of play, not flashes or signs of their ability. There is a difference between playing at an elite level and showing elite promise.

Most QB’s aren’t performing at an elite level the moment they enter the league.

Very few players do at any position, let alone the hardest position in the game. It’s why coaches and teams often don’t expect much out of rookies, even highly drafted ones.

This is football 101 that players take time to develop. Why does this need to be repeated.

Last edited: