Can I get some clarification on the meaning of "Garbage Time"?

SackMaster

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on what "Garbage Time" means on this forum after this weeks game.

After looking around at some threads, you would think that Carolina nearly won this game after being down 22 points in the 4th Quarter and even more importantly ...

NOT TAKING A SINGLE 4TH QUARTER OFFENSIVE SNAP WITH A CHANCE TO TIE THE GAME

(Let alone win it)

Yet there is a VERY vocal group of posters who would say you can NEVER win with a QB that only shows up late in the game after being down 3+ scores. It does not matter how close he gets it, you CANNOT win the the NFL with that kind of QB.

So can I get some clarification on what "Garbage Time" really means?
  • Does it mean a bunch of meaningless stats that do not lead to wins at the NFL level are worthless?
    • In that case THIS game was nothing short of a BEAT DOWN on what was a 3-0 team.
  • Or if a QB can make a game of a blowout by getting it within one score it is not as worthless as some say it is?
    • In that case, maybe we have a REALLY underappreciated QB leading the Cowboys today.

So please help a guy out because of right now, it sure seems like the Cowboys can't do ANYTHING right if it isn't a blowout win. Even then, there are plenty of threads talking about how "x" is going to cost us games.

Misery loves company, I guess?
:huh:

:muttley::thumbup:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a little confused on what "Garbage Time" means on this forum after this weeks game.

After looking around at some threads, you would think that Carolina nearly won this game after being down 22 points in the 4th Quarter and even more importantly ...

(Let alone win it)

Yet there is a VERY vocal group of posters who would say you can NEVER win with a QB that only shows up late in the game after being down 3+ scores. It does not matter how close he gets it, you CANNOT win the the NFL with that kind of QB.

• Does it mean a bunch of meaningless stats that do not lead to wins at the NFL level are worthless?
    • In that case THIS game was nothing short of a BEAT DOWN on what was a 3-0 team.
  • Or if a QB can make a game of a blowout by getting it within one score it is not as worthless as some say it is?
    • In that case, maybe we have a REALLY underappreciated QB leading the Cowboys today.
So please help a guy out because of right now, it sure seems like the Cowboys can't do ANYTHING right if it isn't a blowout win. Even then, there are plenty of threads talking about how "x" is going to cost us games.

Garbage time to me is reading all the posts that the haters keep ranting about. ...I shouldn't bother with them, but it's like a car wreck....hard to ignore.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

(Let alone win it)

I never want my team to just lay down and quit, no matter the score.
To me: There is no Garbage Time.

I remember playing High School BBall and there was a game we were down 18 with 2 minutes left.
Coach wanted to reel it in and put us on the bench.
I said "Let's shoot 3's and clamp down".

Well, we didn't win, but we scared them so bad they resorted to hacking us because we got the game down to 5 points with 40 seconds left.

You keep going for it.

All the way.

ultron

Reaction score
Don’t know, there was a season a couple years ago where we didn’t lose one game by more than 8 points I believe - yet some people on here were saying Dak’s stats were all in garbage time which is total BS

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
i guess option 1 : ??

A bunch of meaningless stats that do not lead to a win .

Scotman

Reaction score
I never want my team to just lay down and quit, no matter the score.
To me: There is no Garbage Time.

I remember playing High School BBall and there was a game we were down 18 with 2 minutes left.
Coach wanted to reel it in and put us on the bench.
I said "Let's shoot 3's and clamp down".

Well, we didn't win, but we scared them so bad they resorted to hacking us because we got the game down to 5 points with 40 seconds left.

You keep going for it.

All the way.
My take, too. No such thing as garbage time. The last play in a losing effort may set the tone for the next game.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Garbage time does exist, but it's usually when a team is so far out of it they have virtually no chance to win. However, they assemble a nice drive to get a score towards the end of the game to close within 2+ tds. Or the backups are sent in. That's how I've always defined it anyway.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Garbage time stats started with Cowboys hater Shannon Sharpe after the Cowboys lost to the Packers in 2019. The Cowboys were down by more the 20 points going into the second half and cut the lead to 7. Shannon said Dak’s stats were garbage because the Packers were in a prevent defense. He also called Dak dink and dunk in 2017.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

(Let alone win it)

Plenty of morons on here that dont understand the term. Some think you can have garbage time in the 2nd quarter. :lmao::lmao2:

Garbage time is typically at the very end of the game in the 4th or late in the 4th when the game is completely out of reach and the defense allows you all the underneath stuff.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
To me, garbage time is when the score gets lopsided enough for one team to start playing in a prevent defense, giving up the short stuff and runs in order to keep the clock moving. Once the winning team calls off the dogs and starts sitting guys, it becomes way easier for the offense to pile up yards and get some late scores that don’t matter in the end.

In essence, the whole 4th quarter was garbage time today for Carolina, IMO.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
GARBAGE TIME!!!

This is the definition of garbage time as inferred by the hater hating geniuses on this board.

Garbage Time - ANY stat accrued by Dak Prescott when the Dallas Cowboys are losing at any point in the game.

Example: Dallas is losing 10-7 late in the first quarter and Dak throws a 37 yard TD pass to Coop to take the lead with the ensuing reaction from @khiladi, “That’s just a garbage time TD!”

khiladi

Reaction score
GARBAGE TIME!!!

This is the definition of garbage time as inferred by the hater hating geniuses on this board.

Garbage Time - ANY stat accrued by Dak Prescott when the Dallas Cowboys are losing at any point in the game.

Example: Dallas is losing 10-7 late in the first quarter and Dak throws a 37 yard TD pass to Coop to take the lead with the ensuing reaction from @khiladi, “That’s just a garbage time TD!”

You sound obsessed tagging me in ever post, with your “Andy Dalton is GOAT” reference. Calm down homie. I said Andy could perform similarly with the SAME LOADED ROSTER Dak was working with his whole career here.

BTW, we were a dropped CeeDee Lamb pass away from the play-offs last year, led by Andy Dalton with a garbage OL that was like 10 different staring lineups in all his games. Even with “Air Attack” Dak, he was running with Zach Martin and the same starting OL the whole five games. Andy Dalton actually beat the Vikings last year, while Dak choked the game away in 2019. Dak also couldn’t beat the Eagles with their third string scrubs at DB for the playoffs, despite having Smith, Martin and Collins in the lineup. Dak threw the ball 44 times, while Zeke touched it only 13 times. So much for greatness when they ignore the RG..

And BTW, look at the full play by play of the Giants game with Dak and Andy and see how alike they were with the same lineup. We won that game, because Moore decided to run the ball heavy after Dak was flailing around. Andy did the exact same thing the “GOAT” Dak did..

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
You sound obsessed tagging me in ever post, with your “Andy Dalton is GOAT” reference. Calm down homie. I said Andy could perform similarly with the SAME LOADED ROSTER Dak was working with his whole career here.

BTW, we were a dropped CeeDee Lamb pass away from the play-offs last year, led by Andy Dalton with a garbage OL that was like 10 different staring lineups in all his games. Even with “Air Attack” Dak, he was running with Zach Martin and the same starting OL the whole five games. Andy Dalton actually beat the Vikings last year, while Dak choked the game away in 2019. Dak also couldn’t beat the Eagles with their third string scrubs at DB for the playoffs, despite having Smith, Martin and Collins in the lineup. Dak threw the ball 44 times, while Zeke touched it only 13 times. So much for greatness when they ignore the RG..

And BTW homie, look at the full play by play of the Giants game with Dak and Andy and see how alike they were with the same lineup. We won that game, because Moore decided to run the ball heavy after Dak was flailing around.
GARBAGE TIME!!

Dalton is STILL GOAT and Dak’s a bum ya’ll!!

:lmao2:

Reactions: CWR

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

(Let alone win it)

The panthers were never in garbage time. Garbage time is when you have zero chance of winning the game like if they scored that last touchdown with 4 minutes left and were still down 2 or 3 scores thats a garbage time touchdown. But they scored to get within 1 score with almost 4 minutes left.

khiladi

Reaction score
GARBAGE TIME!!

Dalton is STILL GOAT and Dak’s a bum ya’ll!!

:lmao2:

I see no problem with saying Darnold packed on two TDs in garbage time against us. Just like Dak did all last year.

Like I said, you are obsessed with me in particular, when we’ve had basically like zero conversations until now. In like the last three days, you’ve referenced me specifical about 100 times. I mean it’s clear you’ve been waiting for the day to run Dak in my face. You must be pretty patient biting your tongue, since it’s been six years for you to have some data to support he’s finally learned to check into run plays against zone coverage. Calm down

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
I see no problem with saying Darnold packed on two TDs in garbage time against us. Just like Dak did all last year.

Like I said, you are obsessed with me in particular, when we’ve had basically like zero conversations until now. I mean it’s clear you’ve been waiting for the day to run Dak in my face. I mean you must be pretty patient, since it’s been six years. Calm down
Who is better? Dak or Dalton?

GARBAGE TIME!!

khiladi

Reaction score
Who is better? Dak or Dalton?

GARBAGE TIME!!

Actually, Dalton’s numbers were better last year than Dak’s, as I’ve shown multiple times. Dak sucked per the stats of fourth quarter within 7. He wasn’t even close to the elites and that too against garbage teams, let alone Dalton with no Zach Martin and the trash OL play he was working with.