Can I get some clarification on the meaning of "Garbage Time"?

khiladi

Reaction score
Absolutely. I mean ...
  • 10 Passing TDs from 1 QB < 5 Rushing TD from 2 RBs
  • 1,066 Passing Yards from 1 QB < 592 Rushing Yards from 2 RBs
Dak does NOTHING for this offense.
:lmao2:

Do you even understand the arguments? What does this have to do about “playing catch-up”?

Like do you think our RG doesn’t force all this man coverage?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Dallas Defense went prevent which is the only reason Carolina climbed back in oh and the stupid play calling on the ensuing possession between the two Carolina TDs. My thoughts are you dont go prevent until they are thoroughly beaten, I mean they are just mailing it in. The coaches went prevent and save the players play calling way too early in the fourth. If the defense had been a little more aggressive they would not had a chance come within 1 TD of winning.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I saw the game… That’s what happened.. Dak was like at a 50% percentile completion percentage to end the half. Our power RG completely dominated the Panthers from the third onwards, opening up the passing game.
We don't really keep quarter stats or halftime stats because the sample size is a little too small. But I think what you are saying is that Martin's stats for the first half were subpar and in the second half he turned it on and won us the game?

I don't think I have anything else to say, I think I inadvertently got down in the mud on this one. What I thought and what I know now are correct.

TWOK11

Reaction score
You sound obsessed tagging me in ever post, with your “Andy Dalton is GOAT” reference. Calm down homie. I said Andy could perform similarly with the SAME LOADED ROSTER Dak was working with his whole career here.

BTW, we were a dropped CeeDee Lamb pass away from the play-offs last year, led by Andy Dalton with a garbage OL that was like 10 different staring lineups in all his games. Even with “Air Attack” Dak, he was running with Zach Martin and the same starting OL the whole five games. Andy Dalton actually beat the Vikings last year, while Dak choked the game away in 2019. Dak also couldn’t beat the Eagles with their third string scrubs at DB for the playoffs, despite having Smith, Martin and Collins in the lineup. Dak threw the ball 44 times, while Zeke touched it only 13 times. So much for greatness when they ignore the RG..

And BTW, look at the full play by play of the Giants game with Dak and Andy and see how alike they were with the same lineup. We won that game, because Moore decided to run the ball heavy after Dak was flailing around. Andy did the exact same thing the “GOAT” Dak did..

It's hilarious how furious you get over Dak's success

SackMaster

Reaction score
Do you even understand the arguments? What does this have to do about “playing catch-up”?

Like do you think our RG doesn’t force all this man coverage?
Yet when teams plays their 2 safeties deep on nearly every play, would that NOT be the PASSING GAME allowing the running game some space to run it? I think we saw that a couple of weeks ago against SD.

Or when a team blitzes VERY often to pressure the QB, that has the potential to open up BIG lanes for the running game to gash the D? I think we saw that today vs Carolina.

And EVEN MORE AMAZING, we have QB who can decipher the defensive look and get the Cowboys in the right play more times than not. We've seen that every week this year.

But keep digging that hole buddy.
:thumbup:

khiladi

Reaction score
Yet when teams plays their 2 safeties deep on nearly every play, would that NOT be the PASSING GAME allowing the running game some space to run it? I think we saw that a couple of weeks ago against SD.

Or when a team blitzes VERY often to pressure the QB, that has the potential to open up BIG lanes for the running game to gash the D? I think we saw that today vs Carolina.

And EVEN MORE AMAZING, we have QB who can decipher the defensive look and get the Cowboys in the right play more times than not. We've seen that every week this year.

But keep digging that hole buddy.

You mean Dak, in year 6, knows how to call a run against deep cover 2 now?

Amazing!!!

And BTW, SD actually plays cover 2 almost exclusively, meaning it had zero to do with us. And the Eagles also, except they have a first year DC and their best PR out. And that’s why Dak was completely mediocre against SD.

SackMaster

Reaction score
You mean Dak, in year 6, knows how to call a run against deep cover 2 now? Amazing!!!
Oh ya, I forgot. I should listen to you and all your NFL experience instead of actual NFL Players and Coaches.

I just wonder why someone of you complete and total infallible knowledge of everything football is wasting time on a Fan Forum instead of being SUPER successful working for an NFL Team?

Such a waste of impeccable talent.
:muttley:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny thing is, when the Cowboys are getting yardage while behind in the 4th, they're getting garbage yardage. When opponents are getting yardage in the 4th when behind, the Cowboys' defense sucks. Wow

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a little confused on what "Garbage Time" means on this forum after this weeks game.

After looking around at some threads, you would think that Carolina nearly won this game after being down 22 points in the 4th Quarter and even more importantly ...

NOT TAKING A SINGLE 4TH QUARTER OFFENSIVE SNAP WITH A CHANCE TO TIE THE GAME

(Let alone win it)

Yet there is a VERY vocal group of posters who would say you can NEVER win with a QB that only shows up late in the game after being down 3+ scores. It does not matter how close he gets it, you CANNOT win the the NFL with that kind of QB.

So can I get some clarification on what "Garbage Time" really means?
  • Does it mean a bunch of meaningless stats that do not lead to wins at the NFL level are worthless?
    • In that case THIS game was nothing short of a BEAT DOWN on what was a 3-0 team.
  • Or if a QB can make a game of a blowout by getting it within one score it is not as worthless as some say it is?
    • In that case, maybe we have a REALLY underappreciated QB leading the Cowboys today.
So please help a guy out because of right now, it sure seems like the Cowboys can't do ANYTHING right if it isn't a blowout win. Even then, there are plenty of threads talking about how "x" is going to cost us games.

Misery loves company, I guess?
:huh:

:muttley::thumbup:

Call 1-800-Dak-Prescott........and ya 4 games don't make a season!

plasticman

Reaction score
I would define "garbage time" as any point in the game when the number of touchdowns needed exceeds the maximum number of possessions your team is likely to get. So assuming each possession in clock kill mode eats about 3 minutes.. being up two TDs with three minutes left.. Garbage time.. Up TDs with 6 minutes left.. Garbage time.. up 4 TDs with 9 minutes left.. and so on and so on. Other than that, any time you are within the number of touchdowns needed per increments of 3 minutes, you are not in garbage time. That's my definition.. YMMV.
That's pretty much mine too. If a team reaches a point where it is impossible to win then the remaining time in which they accrue points and yardage is "garbage time"

As per your examples, the only way it's garbage time with more than a few minutes left in the 4th quarter is when it's a total blowout. i.e., 35-0, 42-7 with ten minutes left.

Any team that builds a 14-21 point lead and sits starters halfway through the 4th quarter against a future HOF QB will revise their understanding of the term "garbage time" before the end of that game

SackMaster

Reaction score
Call 1-800-Dak-Prescott........and ya 4 games don't make a season!
True, 4 games don't make a season ... but 3-1 is not a bad start. Especially when your QB's play is being compared to Future HOFers like Peyton and Drew.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, 4 games don't make a season ... but 3-1 is not a bad start. Especially when your QB's play is being compared to Future HOFers like Peyton and Drew.
Go with the best QB to ever play the game and let's get back to reality ......jeez man la la land at its finest!
This has surpassed when we went 3-0 after beating 3 dog teams in 2018 in our 1st 3 games of the season......:omg:
Our running backs have over 500 yards in the first 4 games and all hear is the greatness of Dak.
Amazing.......

SackMaster

Reaction score
Go with the best QB to ever play the game and let's get back to reality ......jeez man la la land at its finest!
This has surpassed when we went 3-0 after beating 3 dog teams in 2018 in our 1st 3 games of the season......:omg:
Our running backs have over 500 yards in the first 4 games and all hear is the greatness of Dak.
Amazing.......
So contending with the SB Champs, then beating two pretty good teams that are 5-0 outside of their games vs Dallas is like 2018 when we beat dog teams?

I understand the Eagles, they suck, but I can't help to think after winning 2 of 3 against teams with winning records, to you, WE live in la la land?

Also, our QB has almost twice as many passing yards, and exactly double the TDs, but you seem to have left that out ... I wonder why? I'm s

But of course, if it was Dalton putting up those number, I'm sure you would be speaking about "the greatness of Dalton"?

Pappy, don't ever change and keep that hate in your heart.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If you guys wanna see garbage time check out the end of the cardinals rams game this week. Thats garbage time

nobody

Reaction score
If a team is winning like 48 to 7 and there's 2 minutes left on the clock in the 4th, that's garbage time....there's really no way for the losing team to win.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Garbage time stats started with Cowboys hater Shannon Sharpe after the Cowboys lost to the Packers in 2019. The Cowboys were down by more the 20 points going into the second half and cut the lead to 7. Shannon said Dak’s stats were garbage because the Packers were in a prevent defense. He also called Dak dink and dunk in 2017.

Randy Gregory said himself in his postgame interview that the players started to relax with that big lead. And the notion and term garbage time stats has existed for as long as I can remember. Sharpe never said garbage time stats, he said "empty calories", and it is definitely a thing.