Can I get some clarification on the meaning of "Garbage Time"?

bsbellomy

Reaction score
If a team is winning like 48 to 7 and there's 2 minutes left on the clock in the 4th, that's garbage time....there's really no way for the losing team to win.

No it's anytime the players stop players as hard as they can because they think they are going to win. There is no magic score.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
GARBAGE TIME!!!

This is the definition of garbage time as inferred by the hater hating geniuses on this board.

Garbage Time - ANY stat accrued by Dak Prescott when the Dallas Cowboys are losing at any point in the game.

Example: Dallas is losing 10-7 late in the first quarter and Dak throws a 37 yard TD pass to Coop to take the lead with the ensuing reaction from @khiladi, “That’s just a garbage time TD!”
Today was garbage time in 3rd quarter Dallas was down 14-13

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
GARBAGE TIME!!!

This is the definition of garbage time as inferred by the hater hating geniuses on this board.

Garbage Time - ANY stat accrued by Dak Prescott when the Dallas Cowboys are losing at any point in the game.

Example: Dallas is losing 10-7 late in the first quarter and Dak throws a 37 yard TD pass to Coop to take the lead with the ensuing reaction from @khiladi, “That’s just a garbage time TD!”
Also, ANY stat accrued by Dak Prescott when the Dallas Cowboys are winning at any point in the game. The other team CLEARLY isn't trying to win.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on what "Garbage Time" means on this forum after this weeks game.

After looking around at some threads, you would think that Carolina nearly won this game after being down 22 points in the 4th Quarter and even more importantly ...

NOT TAKING A SINGLE 4TH QUARTER OFFENSIVE SNAP WITH A CHANCE TO TIE THE GAME

(Let alone win it)

Yet there is a VERY vocal group of posters who would say you can NEVER win with a QB that only shows up late in the game after being down 3+ scores. It does not matter how close he gets it, you CANNOT win the the NFL with that kind of QB.

So can I get some clarification on what "Garbage Time" really means?
  • Does it mean a bunch of meaningless stats that do not lead to wins at the NFL level are worthless?
    • In that case THIS game was nothing short of a BEAT DOWN on what was a 3-0 team.
  • Or if a QB can make a game of a blowout by getting it within one score it is not as worthless as some say it is?
    • In that case, maybe we have a REALLY underappreciated QB leading the Cowboys today.
So please help a guy out because of right now, it sure seems like the Cowboys can't do ANYTHING right if it isn't a blowout win. Even then, there are plenty of threads talking about how "x" is going to cost us games.

Misery loves company, I guess?
:huh:

:muttley::thumbup:
:hammer:

Them Dak haters look pathetic now!

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on what "Garbage Time" means on this forum after this weeks game.

After looking around at some threads, you would think that Carolina nearly won this game after being down 22 points in the 4th Quarter and even more importantly ...

(Let alone win it)

Yet there is a VERY vocal group of posters who would say you can NEVER win with a QB that only shows up late in the game after being down 3+ scores. It does not matter how close he gets it, you CANNOT win the the NFL with that kind of QB.

• Does it mean a bunch of meaningless stats that do not lead to wins at the NFL level are worthless?
    • In that case THIS game was nothing short of a BEAT DOWN on what was a 3-0 team.
  • Or if a QB can make a game of a blowout by getting it within one score it is not as worthless as some say it is?
    • In that case, maybe we have a REALLY underappreciated QB leading the Cowboys today.
So please help a guy out because of right now, it sure seems like the Cowboys can't do ANYTHING right if it isn't a blowout win. Even then, there are plenty of threads talking about how "x" is going to cost us games.

Garbage time is simple, it's when defenses let up. Philly had a 1st and 30 on us when the game was basically over and Dallas not only let them convert easily, they gave up a TD. That's garbage time. Of course it can come back to bite you in the butt if you do it too early, like seen last season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You mean Dak, in year 6, knows how to call a run against deep cover 2 now?

Amazing!!!

And BTW, SD actually plays cover 2 almost exclusively, meaning it had zero to do with us. And the Eagles also, except they have a first year DC and their best PR out. And that’s why Dak was completely mediocre against SD.
I am sorry to hear Dalton got benched in Chicago....I mean what are you going to do with your idol on the bench

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::laugh::laugh::lmao2::lmao2::laugh::lmao::laugh::lmao::laugh:

Rajveer

Reaction score

(Let alone win it)

Garbage time to me is when my Wife yells as me to take the trash out.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I never want my team to just lay down and quit, no matter the score.
To me: There is no Garbage Time.

I remember playing High School BBall and there was a game we were down 18 with 2 minutes left.
Coach wanted to reel it in and put us on the bench.
I said "Let's shoot 3's and clamp down".

Well, we didn't win, but we scared them so bad they resorted to hacking us because we got the game down to 5 points with 40 seconds left.

You keep going for it.

All the way.

No garbage time in the NFL...the opposite would be a team quite after being down..if those are your choices then Garbage time is the better option ..lol

Tell em Corso...

glimmerman

Reaction score
The game was close for a while. Coopers long TD was in the 3rd quarter and we were losing. We put up 20 unanswered points. 4th quarter we only got a FG. I didn’t see garbage stats.