Can Moore remember to do less?

erod

Reaction score
Well that's what I meant. Same plays but executed differently to make it a different look.

Football is football. There's only so many ways to run Zeke off left tackle.

Just more motion and sets, I'm sure. More complex route trees (although Linehan got rid of those for Dak, right or wrong.)

At least it's intriguing. That offense was painful to watch.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score

Just more motion and sets, I'm sure. More complex route trees (although Linehan got rid of those for Dak, right or wrong.)

I agree... I can't wait to see what's in store... I may go out to Oxnard and check out their training in August. Oxnard is my home town (though I live in KY).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the absence of Linehan and the presence of Moore is fine with me; however, how many posts/threads do you think you're going to see here "Need to fire Moore", "Need to get Linehan back" after the first preseason game?

The Booger Paradigm is damned hard to figure out. On one hand, he's that "win now at all costs" guy willing to think he's got the answer in one high profile player and then he'll make a move on guys like Gregory and Smith, anything but play now players.

He hired Garrett without a title and admitted to even considering that title to be HC, that's anything but "win now".

I look at Kellen Moore exactly as I did trading for Amari Cooper, future benefit, anything now is just bonus. It isn't the norm that a first time OC takes the league by storm and he will be facing some very good DC's. And because he is young and new, he should get the benefit of the doubt and the luxury of learning.

However, most coaching changes are precipitated by a poor season but in this case it was a good season with a poor performance. Moore doesn't have to coach them up, he just needs to put them in positions to execute. And there's a thread everyone should read for some insight.

The thread on Chris Peterson, Moore's mentor is a very good read about leverage, mismatches and confusion. If you don't follow college ball or know of Peterson, he's one hell of a coach and brought BSU to national prominence and got the HC gig at WA. Not only was Moore his protégé, he got what Roger Staubach always wanted, to call his own plays. He was that well versed in Peterson's philosophy and executed that offense extremely well.

Ya know, there's always this hype about coaches or players but the more I learn about Moore, the less hype I believe this is. There are just some people with an innate understanding of a sport that defies age or experience and I think he might be one of those guys. There are people that do what they know and people that know what their doing and I get this feeling he's the latter. That said, there's a learning curve to everything and I will allow him one before making judgments about his qualifications to be the OC.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Running plays out of 10 personnel and jet action on a large % of plays will make me a happy boy.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Running plays out of 10 personnel and jet action on a large % of plays will make me a happy boy.

I hope to see 20 personnel sprinkled in as well. I could Cobb or Austin line up in the backfield and motion into the slot for 10 personnel. Would love to see Zeke and Pollard or Weber for a traditional 20 personnel grouping as well.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I've heard it's going to look very different.
I think your hoping it will, but I wont believe it till I see it.
There is really no telling how good kellen will be , or if players can execute his new stuff,or how new it will be.
The LA game was not very good in 1st half, so if moore was running things then??
Also this is his first season as OC, so why expect him to be great ??

It is a wait and see deal, or hope for what you think will be real good. I will wait.

erod

Reaction score
I think your hoping it will, but I wont believe it till I see it.
There is really no telling how good kellen will be , or if players can execute his new stuff,or how new it will be.
The LA game was not very good in 1st half, so if moore was running things then??
Also this is his first season as OC, so why expect him to be great ??

It is a wait and see deal, or hope for what you think will be real good. I will wait.

Looking different doesn't mean better. Just different. We'll see soon. I do think it will be better, but how much so I have my doubts.

In the LA game, Moore was more involved with gameplanning, but he wasn't calling plays so much. And he still had to work with the Garrett/Linehan scheme.

Now he gets to apply his schematic ideas.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If they're going to be the best smashmouth team in football, then this offense isn't going to change and there's really not going to be much Moore influence that we see on gamedays.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If they're going to be the best smashmouth team in football, then this offense isn't going to change and there's really not going to be much Moore influence that we see on gamedays.

If Dallas can do more in the passing game I think it will allow greater success in the running game. I would hope this does not go back to throwing it 35 to 40 times a game.

fredp22

Reaction score
If the measuring sticks are Detroit and Gruden that gives me more confidence in the Moore hire.

what else can i use? What has he done for us to justify the job. Detroit is only other team he played for.

again I hope he works out but I'm not sold on him.

why are u sold on him? Just asking to try to figure out the fascination a lot of people have for him

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Eternal optimist never change . Get in there and sell. The rest of us will wait and see the results before getting excited.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I’ve heard it’s going to be a spread type offense. Similar to those college ones you love. NFL style.

No one really knows. We might see a glimpse of it in August.

And let’s hope it isn’t stymied early with a suspension of Elliott.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If Dallas can do more in the passing game I think it will allow greater success in the running game. I would hope this does not go back to throwing it 35 to 40 times a game.
Volume of passes is irrelevant. The whole point of being "smashmouth" is being a possession-based, grind-it-out style of offense. That means being risk-averse and mitigating mistakes, which means dumbing everything down.

They throw the ball 30+ times a game anyways.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Volume of passes is irrelevant. The whole point of being "smashmouth" is being a possession-based, grind-it-out style of offense. That means being risk-averse and mitigating mistakes, which means dumbing everything down.

They throw the ball 30+ times a game anyways.

I don't want to see them give up on the run. I think when you have the Oline Dallas does and the Rb we have to abandon the run would be stupid. Olineman love to attack to beat down a defensive front, let them. Dallas has to do better in the passing game I fully agree and Dak can't miss some of the passes he missed last season. But yes turning into a pass happy offense with the group we have in my view would be a big mistake

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't want to see them give up on the run. I think when you have the Oline Dallas does and the Rb we have to abandon the run would be stupid. Olineman love to attack to beat down a defensive front, let them. Dallas has to do better in the passing game I fully agree and Dak can't miss some of the passes he missed last season. But yes turning into a pass happy offense with the group we have in my view would be a big mistake
I agree with all of that, which is why I seriously doubt the influence that Moore will actually have

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree with all of that, which is why I seriously doubt the influence that Moore will actually have

I think mixing plays better, running out of different formation makes a difference. There is nothing wrong with a stop rout every team uses but from time to time you got to use things like a stop and go rout to bait the CB as he becomes more aggressive. I don't think improving the offense is reinventing the wheel it is doing a better job of mixing plays to setup other plays.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think mixing plays better, running out of different formation makes a difference. There is nothing wrong with a stop rout every team uses but from time to time you got to use things like a stop and go rout to bait the CB as he becomes more aggressive. I don't think improving the offense is reinventing the wheel it is doing a better job of mixing plays to setup other plays.
Yea...but mixing up pass plays only works if you throw the ball a lot and, if they're still trying to be "smashmouth," they aren't going to just start throwing the ball downfield on first down. They have an offensive philosophy built around getting to third-and-short. Unless that changes, the passign game will be largely the same.

They already use a ton of double-moves on the outside, particularly comebacks and gos as is.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yea...but mixing up pass plays only works if you throw the ball a lot and, if they're still trying to be "smashmouth," they aren't going to just start throwing the ball downfield on first down. They have an offensive philosophy built around getting to third-and-short. Unless that changes, the passign game will be largely the same.

They already use a ton of double-moves on the outside, particularly comebacks and gos as is.

I don't agree that you must throw a lot to mix things up, I think you need to be effective in the ones you throw. I would like see Dallas not run as much on 1st but that does not mean I want to throw every time on 1st down. I want to see the offense create doubt not go one way or the other in being predictable. If you run every time on 1st defense knows it nothing unpredictable about it same token if you throw it on 1st down every time. In my view the object it to keep defense off balance, to give them certain looks and different formation using run and pass. We have the players to do it. In my view when you can attack on the ground and in the air you become damn hard to beat

erod

Reaction score
I’ve heard it’s going to be a spread type offense. Similar to those college ones you love. NFL style.

No one really knows. We might see a glimpse of it in August.

And let’s hope it isn’t stymied early with a suspension of Elliott.
If it's that, I might just drift away from it all. That's so "high school" to watch. I can see that at Southlake Carroll on Friday.

That usually gets destroyed in the NFL and gets the QB killed.