Can Moore remember to do less?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Game plans and in game adjustments. We can think he can be a good OC or not from what we read and seen so far.
Yes, agree, we need to see how he handles the actual games.

Supposedly he will have Nussmeir there to help, as he was an OC before. As well there are enough coaches on this staff with years of experience. Which was said, they will all work together to put together game plans and such.

It is impossible for anyone to handle play calling, in game adjustment, and game planning any worse then we saw under Garrett and Linehan.

The ONLY thing that could screw up Moore's new ideas is poor execution. THIS he will have to prove he can teach and get the team to buy in.

The first half of the season we should catch many teams off guard with the new play designs and motion. The trick for Moore will be:

1. What does he do once the league catches up to what he is doing and adjusts to it
2. What will he do come playoff time if we make it and mix things up or take the next step in disguise. Will he be a one or two trick pony or will his scheme keep evolving.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As do fanboys standing up for people they don't know.

Not standing up for him, just saying such comments aren't needed.
I have not seen any one defend him by saying how smart he is. I have no idea now smart he is or isn't. But many very smart people have made far worse choices.

erod

Reaction score
Well then you're easily influenced by off-season fluff. What the hell has he done to call this a potentially brilliant move? Give a good sound bite during OTAs?

He's an unknown and frankly the need for a new OC as the answer to all our problems is fan nonsense anyway. With this QB, the OC is screwed. You're going to want to replace Moore too. Just give it time.

The truth is, the OCs in the league dance around from team to team, hired then fired, hired then fired, hired then fired. Collectively, they're all wildly overrated.

The guy I really want here is Lincoln Riley, but I don't think he'd take the job with this QB. He'd have to throw 75% of his playbook away.

Kellen Moore makes sense because he doesn't really have an "offense" per se. He's being asked to create one specifically for this QB, who trusts Moore to do that. It's the best chance of success with Dak as I see it.

erod

Reaction score
Most people don't realize that we were already throwing the ball more often than the league average as a part of our normal offense through 3 quarters. The percentage of our plays that were runs only went up in the 4th quarter compared to other teams because we were involved in more close games late than most other teams, so we weren't forced to be one-dimensional (pass on every down).

After the trade for Cooper:
play selection, qtr 1-3
Dallas: pass 60.4%, run 39.6%
NFL avg: 57.8%, run 42.2%

Even counting the entire game, we still threw the ball more than the league average. And yet, many refer to Dallas as a "run-first" team. More accurately, this is a conservative (thru 3 quarters anyway), ball control offense that is successful at getting into scoring position and terrible at punching it in.

After the trade for Cooper
(NFL rank)
TOP per drive 1st
plays per drive 1st
yards per drive 7th
% of drives that reach red zone 7th
red zone TD% 29th

We lead the league in checkdowns and 3-yard TE routes for sure.

Red zone issues prevail. The league has figured out that Dallas drives are meaningless because the passing ability isn't refined enough to score TDs in the red zone.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We lead the league in checkdowns and 3-yard TE routes for sure.

Red zone issues prevail. The league has figured out that Dallas drives are meaningless because the passing ability isn't refined enough to score TDs in the red zone.

Tell that to the Commanders on Cooper's great game against them.
and the Eagles.

erod

Reaction score
Tell that to the Commanders on Cooper's great game against them.
and the Eagles.
You mean the 15 yard slant when three guys knocked each other down and let Cooper go the distance? That's not the QB.

The Eagles were missing their entire secondary and it took him 3 quarters to do much of anything. Then he threw a poor inside should-be interception down the sideline when the just-signed corner was running out of bounds for some unknown reason. Then he threw what should have been a pick-six in overtime at the goal line to lose the game, only to see it ricochet to Cooper for a game winner.

Put those pom-poms down and watch the game.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I've now read enough, heard enough, and even seen enough to get fully behind the Kellen Moore appointment. That now makes perfect sense to me, and I think it's a smart move. Perhaps brilliant move.

The stories of him as a recruit with his own legitimate playbook he'd written; the accolades from those in Detroit; his lineage with a successful coach for a father and a brother in the business; the praise from players like Zeke, Witten, Dak, and others....it sounds less risky by the minute.

Moore is one of those dudes that sees the game in multidimensional form, and eats and breaths the nuances of how to disguise plays and create mismatches. A young Andy Reid with Xs and Os in his eyes at all times who probably wears out the video system at The Star daily.

The Cowboys are gonna look very different this year. That in itself is desperately needed because even with the fair share of wins, the games have grown stale. Mostly the offense, which wasn't so much "predictable" as it was just too much the same for too long. It simply doesn't explode often enough.

Not that football has been reinvented in young Moore's mind. The plays he'll call have been run in the NFL thousands of times before, but combinations of routes and alignments will make it seem different anyway, at least in these parts. There are only so many ways to execute a run or forward pass.

In fact, the true challenge for Moore will often be to just remember to dial it in. This is still the best dang smash-mouth football team in the NFL, and Zeke still has a head the size of a smart car behind 225 pounds of ferocity. The draft suggests they intend to do just that with a new sidekick for Zeke and more beef for the beef truck. The moves made say run the dadgum ball, but can Moore remember that when the air game is working effectively?

Much like Reid, or Sean Payton, or Mike Martz, or any coach who basks in his "offensive guru" celebrity image, it can be hard at times to just call the right play instead of the "me" play. That certainly has gotten the best of Reid, Payton, and Martz over the years, whose egos are bigger than the franchises they've presided over.

We've got to hope that the aw-shucks Rain Man persona Moore exudes is for real, and that he doesn't get eaten up by the public enamor of his genius after a couple of inspiring outings. Reid, Payton, and Martz have out-thought themselves more times than I can count.

There's absolutely no doubt the passing game desperately needs a freshness to give Dak more comfort and time to make the throws he likes. Dak's effusive praise of Moore hints that it will. Guys like Jarwin and Gallup will likely become far more prominent in the offense immediately. Pollard could be a very interesting component, too.

But what most floored me was Zeke's gushing over Moore. That honestly surprised me, just like it did Michael Irvin. Moore and Zeke couldn't be more different dudes, and I would have thought those personalities would just pass in the halls with nary a glance.

But when Irvin openly questioned the hiring of Moore, Zeke stopped him in his tracks and delivered my most favorite quote of the offseason: “After speaking this weekend with Ezekiel Elliott, I kind of did a 180 on it. One of the things Zeke said, he said, ‘Michael, this kid is smart.’ He said he’s smart, and I think the most important thing he said … ‘He’ll listen to us. What we see on the field, he’ll listen and incorporate it in the game plan.'”

If the players are that excited, then I'm that excited. How can you not be? That alone could stop this up-and-down trend from season to season we've watched unfold for years.

Still, it's critical for Moore to remember what this team is, and what it centers around. There's an advantage to being one of the very few physical run teams in the NFL because most defenses are built fast and small to deal with Reid and Payton. Very few are built to stand up to Dallas' offensive line and Zeke Elliott. That has to remain the identity.

Finding the proper balance will be the key to getting this offense out of the mud and scoring as its talent level says it should. If so, Dallas is right in the thick of it all this season. For real.

The master stroke of it all, unbelievably, could be behind that familiar teenaged blank stare that we didn't think twice about until now.
I’m all in on this post. Well said and couldn’t agree more.

If we can remain fairly healthy this season at key positions, we gotta good shot!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean the 15 yard slant when three guys knocked each other down and let Cooper go the distance? That's not the QB.

The Eagles were missing their entire secondary and it took him 3 quarters to do much of anything. Then he threw a poor inside should-be interception down the sideline when the just-signed corner was running out of bounds for some unknown reason. Then he threw what should have been a pick-six in overtime at the goal line to lose the game, only to see it ricochet to Cooper for a game winner.

Put those pom-poms down and watch the game.

Stop your stupid excuses dude. And I do watch the games. I suggest you take your own advice and watch instead of cherry picking for your hate.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The league has figured out that Dallas drives are meaningless because the passing ability isn't refined enough to score TDs in the red zone.
Dallas' drives were far from "meaningless," unless you make no distinction between scoring and punting.

And the passing isn't any less refined than it was the previous two seasons, when we ranked 5th and 7th in the red zone.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Not standing up for him, just saying such comments aren't needed.
I have not seen any one defend him by saying how smart he is. I have no idea now smart he is or isn't. But many very smart people have made far worse choices.

You're making it sound like an isolated instance. Its not. When someone repeatedly engages in behavior that jeopardizes their ability to get paid in the work of their chosen field, its not a stretch to consider them as "not smart", regardless of their IQ.

From an article that appeared in Yahoo Sports:

But Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown said he has talked to Elliott about the Pro Bowler keeping himself out of situations like the one Elliott found himself in recently. Elliott pushed a security guard working a music festival, sending the teenager into a metal gate.

Dallas Morning News. “He understands, ‘I can’t put myself in those positions. I’ve got to be smarter.’ . . ."

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
Less is what got us here.. we need more like saints and rams. There’s a reason they can put up 35-40 a game. Nfl is about evolving each game and not being predictable

Jeffkills

Reaction score
The good thing about Kellen is he won't overthink something to the extent where he ends up making the most obviously foreseeable mistakes.

Play calling, in general, since RHG became a 'walk around coach' has been dog crap, and I can almost guarantee Kellen will fix that, as in a supercharged jump in effectiveness.

Yeah, it's true - he's goofy looking, and he might not have the highest IQ, but that kid's a true-blue king of the football nerds' club...

Thank God that the Cowboys have embraced BSU for whatever reason...

BTW, the whole 'RKG' thing Garrett talks about was totally high jacked from Chris Petersen, as that saying and the concept was inarguably his most clichéd mantra RE building a winning football team...

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This is a horrible post...I want Kellen to throw the entire playbook @ our QB. If he can't handle it...so be it. Find someone else. Part of the reason Linehan got fired is because he dumbed down the offense so Dak could understand it. I doubt Kellen makes the same mistake...nor should he. :rolleyes:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm just hoping that we get to see Kellen Moore's offense and not Jason Garrett's offense.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3369ac.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

chagus

Reaction score
Its all about execution. If this offense can execute what Moore puts together... all will work out. I think.