Can the anti-Dez scheme be replicated week to week?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They weren't double teaming him...they were triple teaming him. Man coverage, safety over top, LB buzzing the slants/inside routes. You can take away any WR doing that.

If Williams played better, the Cowboys hang 40 on NYG. And, if we had better committed to the run, we hang 40.

I know Dez might get frustrated, but if teams want to triple team him, let them go ahead. That leaves a ton of open room for everyone else...i.e. Miles and Witten.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One good way to help free up Dez is by putting him in motion more than they have. No doubt if teams continue to concentrate on Dez then Dallas and Romo would be wise to hit the open man as opposed to trying to force something that is not there. Putting him in motion I do think would help.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think that is part of the problem.........that our coaching staff was caught off -guard at all, with no in game adaptations available.
It reminds me of Romo looking thru the playbook on TV during the last Skins game last yr.......searching to no avail to find a answer to what the Skins D was giving him..........
the NfL is a copycat league.......Garrett just has to copy the bunch formations, crossing routes, Dez in motion.........Hanna taking the Safety deep on a post up the hashes......

I see the cowboys feeding on Dez........just as they fed off of Mike Irvin in the 90's............it gives the team confidence

I think they adapted fairly well.

They started going to Miles underneath and started hitting Witten. They also utilized screens to Murray and tried to get some screens to Harris and Williams. I think Romo was a little off and I think a lot of that had to do with Bernardeau who stinks to high heaven. I would have like to have seen a little more playaction attempts and trying to get the Giants on a double move.

YR

jrumann59

Reaction score
They weren't double teaming him...they were triple teaming him. Man coverage, safety over top, LB buzzing the slants/inside routes. You can take away any WR doing that.

If Williams played better, the Cowboys hang 40 on NYG. And, if we had better committed to the run, we hang 40.

I know Dez might get frustrated, but if teams want to triple team him, let them go ahead. That leaves a ton of open room for everyone else...i.e. Miles and Witten.

I felt we were committed to the run but our left, right, and center running was heavily left biased the right side of our OL needs to get better or teams will stack the left side begging us to run right.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Even as a decoy, Dez is doing his job.
I liked that Jason/Romo came out firing to Witten and Austin and the Giants were wondering what was going on.

The only thing wrong with a game like the Giants, it could get to the point where Dez begins to pout, him being an MVP and a 2,000-yard gainer and all . . . .

The offense seems healthy, wealty and wise. :)

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Dez isn't bright enough to learn every WR position on the field so he won't be in the slot or lining up all over the field.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
There is no reason we can't get Dez the ball, period.
No bunch formations?
No sending Dez in motion?
No dez in trips slot right or left?
No dez motioned to the back field?
No dez dragging across the field?

No innovation at all. I can tell you this, you're not going to stop me from doing what I want to do if I'm a Coach. We did get the win, but our offense was less than effective. Thanks Defense for the two touch downs, and thanks Special teams for the gift inside the 30. Those accounted for probably 17 points. Take those away, you have 19 points, and we get stomped again. Our offense has problems, and if we sweep those problems under the rug because we won, then 8-8, here we come.

But this has been the same since Dez got here. When TO and Crayton, they moved them around, and motioned them into the slot, and ran many crossing routes. It seems that Garrett, for whatever reason will not motion Dez out of this coverage, or move him into the slot. It is really inexplicable. Dez will never become the elite receiver he can be if the continue to use him in this manner.

iceman117

Reaction score
What did NYG do that neutralized our O's explosive nature... if Dez was drawing so much coverage, why were Miles and Jason fairly tamed as well? YPC was wayyyy down. Jason had 18 grabs in last meeting.

Happy with the win but Dez is supposed to dominate. That was a meek offensive performance by all parties involved. Is it easily countered? Can't look forward to outings like last nights and feel confident we can scare people.

30+ Boldin schooled the GB secondary with really only Davis as a viable option. Why can't we get the ball to the best player on the field?

Witten scored 2 TDs, you think thats tamed?

iceman117

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Dez isn't bright enough to learn every WR position on the field so he won't be in the slot or lining up all over the field.

so far from the truth, Dez understands coverages and knows what he is doing and he lined up in the slot a few plays against the giants. Mistakes he made in his first 2 years were common mistakes made by young players. He has hashed that out a long time ago, pay attention

iceman117

Reaction score
But this has been the same since Dez got here. When TO and Crayton, they moved them around, and motioned them into the slot, and ran many crossing routes. It seems that Garrett, for whatever reason will not motion Dez out of this coverage, or move him into the slot. It is really inexplicable. Dez will never become the elite receiver he can be if the continue to use him in this manner.

It was the first game, you didn't see their whole playbook, Dez did line up in the slot on a few plays, so it's in the playbook. The gameplan was obvious to let them bracket cover Dez or roll a safety over the top of him and let our other guys make plays. They did an ok job of that Miles and Witten played good games. Once the running game gets going other teams will have to play Dez like any other good receiver

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
If they want to stack coverage on Dez just let Witten have another phenomenal season and watch the old Austin be back. If Romo can stay sharp, stacking coverage on Dez will just let Wit and company look like probowlers.

SacramentoKing

Nunez21
Reaction score
Once Williams gets comfortable he's going to have a lot of opportunities. Probably after week 10 he will be a big factor in the offense if they keep playing Dez like that.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope it was just an anomaly, There is too much talent there for him to be used as a decoy. One game, fine. There were other options to go to and I agree with them. But, I don't want to see this become a pattern over the season.

BC needs to find/create ways to get him the ball and get him involved in the game early. Even if they are a few slants, curls or whatever, just get him the ball to keep him focused but don't force it too often.

We have a stud WR, use him.

The Natural

Reaction score
Brilliant ideas, have your star WR be a decoy the rest of the season! Great game planning.

This. People cant be serious with lets just watch Witten and Austin have a field day catching 10 balls a piece for 50 some odd yards while Dez does nothing. You have to find creative ways to get your playmakers the football. The other thing is teams (like the Chiefs for example) who have a formidable corner in Brandon Flowers, and another big corner in Sean Smith, are going to play more 1 on 1 on the outside. This week should be a good test for both Dez and Miles.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
If other teams can do the things the Giants did, and then also keep us from doing the things we did against the Giants, then it will indeed be a long season. I'll take my chances that they can't do both those things with any regularity.

On top of rolling the coverage to Dez and taking away the slants by dripping their backers into his zones, the Giants did a fantastic job of tackling our secondary receivers in space. They also had sufficient DL depth to keep our running game in check and, without Dunbar, we were missing a weapon on those off-tackle runs that had been so successful for us in the preseason.

Most weeks, we'll make them pay a higher price for covering Dez that way. And, had Romo not been hurt there in the third, we still managed to get him open deep downfield against that coverage. Sooner or later, he's going to start getting his catches.

Spot on Idgit = saw a breakdown on Fox and Dez was in fact clearing out a corner and safety on his side of the field but the linebackers were dropping into the slant areas that were left vacant. This all points to the fact that if the running game could've got into the second level there was a lot of room there but..no.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Let's say that he runs the right route, makes the catch for 5 yards, and everything else is equal. Even if Romo doesn't throw another pass on that drive, he has a 101.4 rating in the game, which I'll take every time. If your #1 receiver gets basically shut out and your QB still has a 100 rating, that defensive strategy has failed.

Guys like Williams are the key to making that strategy NOT work, and in that way you could say that Williams is in large part a key to this offense becoming elite.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I remember a time where we had to get the ball to certain receiver early or he disappeared and pouted to the media. Due the need to feed him the ball we got into trouble when the other team took him away and we continued to try and force the ball to him. Now it seems people here are in favor of forcing the ball into Dez because he is our stud but the other team was keeping 3 guys on him.

Zman5

Reaction score
All this talk of running game is great but go look at the Saints offense. They were one of the worst teams at running last year but they were the top passing team.

I would have loved to see what Sean Payton could do with the guys we have on offense.

Zman5

Reaction score
Let's say that he runs the right route, makes the catch for 5 yards, and everything else is equal. Even if Romo doesn't throw another pass on that drive, he has a 101.4 rating in the game, which I'll take every time. If your #1 receiver gets basically shut out and your QB still has a 100 rating, that defensive strategy has failed.

Guys like Williams are the key to making that strategy NOT work, and in that way you could say that Williams is in large part a key to this offense becoming elite.

It's very sad that you have to depend on a 3rd round rookie WR for your offense to be elite. If that's the case, that proves my point that JG's offense is stale and unimaginative and should be flushed down the toilet.