Can the Cowboys afford any 40M QB?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Except that the teams with the most elite QB’s remain consistent contenders.

And yet, they struggle to get Super Bowl wins while teams with young QBs on cheap contracts get a trophy. The name of the game isn't to "Be contenders", it's to win the freakin' Super Bowl.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't smart enough to build around a $40M QB so in that sense they cannot afford one. Only chance this franchise has is to catch lightning in a bottle with a cheap QB.

The closest they have come to that were in 2007 and 2016. Both teams went 13-3, got the one seed, then promptly choked in the divisional round. :facepalm:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And yet, they struggle to get Super Bowl wins while teams with young QBs on cheap contracts get a trophy. The name of the game isn't to "Be contenders", it's to win the freakin' Super Bowl.

Last 5 Super Bowl Winners..

2020 Brady
2019 Mahomes
2018 Brady
2017 Foles
2016 Brady
2015 Manning
2014 Brady
2013 Wilson
2012 Flacco
2011 Manning

Weird.. you say "teams with young QB on cheap contracts get a trophy" yet I can only find 2 such QBs in the last 10 seasons.. Seems like guys NOT on cheap contracts have won 8 of the last 10 Super Bowls.. Well technically Flacco was on his 5th year option year but that was far from cheap.. But even if we grant him the rookie contract winners lose out 7-3. But let's keep beating that stupid drum till the cows come home.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
This isn't about Prescott, it is about the team. It's not about establishing his worth. Or any QB's worth.

Do you think the Cowboys would be a championship caliber team with Mahomes or Watson? The two 40M QB's. Think Rodgers or Wilson at 35m and 33M would do it?

TB did what they did with a 25M QB considered the GOAT. KC got there with their QB still on his rookie deal. BAL and BUF got their with QB's on their rookie deals.

When NE was winning all those trophies, what were they paying their QB and why was that? Kraft even said Brady really has no choice meaning if he wanted to stay in NE and keep gathering jewelry, he had to be cooperative on the salary. Because Kraft as the owner understood Belichick the HC was all about the team.

The most successful HC in NFL history would not pay any QB 40M. He had the best and was willing to trade him if he didn't fit in the cap formula. He actually planned on doing that. There's a lesson to be learned there.

It doesn't matter what QB the Cowboys have, they cannot pay him that much of the cap because they are challenged in deciding what to pay other players. They are average team builders at best.

Because of how they distribute the cap, they have to be dead on in the draft, particularly on the D side. Are they? Are they even good in FA with the D? Paying any QB 40M only exacerbates what is already the problem along with being challenged with player evaluations.

The Dallas Cowboys are the prime example of what happens with a team paying too much to too many, it is feast and famine on the same team. And they will all stay hungry.

In the short run, the best thing they can do is get a rookie QB, keep Dalton and focus on the rest of the team. If they don't, the long run doesn't matter.
Give me a break, Dak isn't worth 30 million a year. What has he done, what has he won? All I read about is what a great leader he is, where has he lead them???? Dak hasn't lead them to an opening drive TD in years! Hell, when was the last time he lead them to victory over a team with a winning record? How MANY teams with winning records has he lead them to victory over in his career? The Cowboys are in the weakest division in football and haven't done squat since Dak's rookie season. That 13-3 season was because of the great O-line he had to protect him, once that started to break down so did the victories. I say if going to speak $40 million on the offense then dump all that cash on the O-line and draft a rookie QB!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Last 5 Super Bowl Winners..

2020 Brady
2019 Mahomes
2018 Brady
2017 Foles
2016 Brady
2015 Manning
2014 Brady
2013 Wilson
2012 Flacco
2011 Manning

Weird.. you say "teams with young QB on cheap contracts get a trophy" yet I can only find 2 such QBs in the last 10 seasons.. Seems like guys NOT on cheap contracts have won 8 of the last 10 Super Bowls.. Well technically Flacco was on his 5th year option year but that was far from cheap.. But even if we grant him the rookie contract winners lose out 7-3. But let's keep beating that stupid drum till the cows come home.

Brady has always been cheap for his talent, Flacco was on his first year of his second contract and what did the Ravens do after 2012?, Foles? Mahomes on his rookie contract. Wilson on his rookie contract. So you have Manning in 2011 (I can't remember his contract) and Peyton Manning who was basically a corpse in the Super Bowl, but that's one.

Yeah nice try with your list. Go back to defending Zeke.

EDIT: Just looked it up, Eli Manning signed a 6 year deal in 2009 which only had a single year of a high payout in 2010. So we are left with Peyton Manning, a late 30s QB that got a $100 million a year contract that sent Denver into "win now" mode where they blew most of their money in FA and got put into a hole so hard that the city of Denver turned on Elway that he stepped down from his GM duties. So, if you want to go win now, that's fine. But Prescott wouldn't be that and we don't have the cap space to do what Denver did in 2012 to 2015.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Brady has always been cheap for his talent, Flacco was on his first year of his second contract and what did the Ravens do after 2012?, Foles? Mahomes on his rookie contract. Wilson on his rookie contract. So you have Manning in 2011 (I can't remember his contract) and Peyton Manning who was basically a corpse in the Super Bowl, but that's one.

Yeah nice try with your list. Go back to defending Zeke.

Excuse me but the point was that your assertion that "young QBs on cheap contracts keep getting trophies" is patently false. If you want to disagree with my take you can but the facts are what they are. If you don't want to be called out for posting BS then don't post BS. Eli Manning was in his 8th year in 2011 and more than likely on his third contract and I guarantee you it wasn't "cheap." There has been exactly three QBs under 30 to win the Super Bowl in the last 10 years. No amount of posturing or goal post moving is going to change that.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Excuse me but the point was that your assertion that "young QBs on cheap contracts keep getting trophies" is patently false. If you want to disagree with my take you can but the facts are what they are. If you don't want to be called out for posting BS then don't post BS. Eli Manning was in his 8th year in 2011 and more than likely on his third contract and I guarantee you it wasn't "cheap." There has been exactly three QBs under 30 to win the Super Bowl in the last 10 years. No amount of posturing or goal post moving is going to change that.

I do disagree with your takes, 3 of those Super Bowls went to Brady. The rest of the list, outside of Peyton, were all young QBs or QBs on cheap contracts. Eli, Wilson, Mahomes, Flacco were all young, coming off their rookie deals or in the first year of their big contracts. If you actually were capable of clicking back a page to see the original comment I made, it wasn't just about young QBs on a cheap contract - the general argument is, giving a QB a massive contract rarely works out and hurts the team in general. And Eli Manning signed a 6 year deal, which again, gave the Giants room to rework his contract - Prescott does not want this, he wants a shorter deal which will pay out more. Manning had a single year from 2009 to 2011 that had a big cap hit which. The year he won the Super Bowl, he made $9 million when he made $30 million the year before (unsurprising the Giants didn't play well in 2010)

So, I guess we need to go out and get a Brady or a Peyton Manning to win a Super Bowl if we go with an old vet? That's another argument against Prescott then. I'm not doing 5 pages of a back and forth with you, you never know when to shut up and your arguments are always pretty bad.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I do disagree with your takes, 3 of those Super Bowls went to Brady. The rest of the list, outside of Peyton, were all young QBs or QBs on cheap contracts. Eli, Wilson, Mahomes, Flacco were all young, coming off their rookie deals or in the first year of their big contracts. If you actually were capable of clicking back a page to see the original comment I made, it wasn't just about young QBs on a cheap contract - the general argument is, giving a QB a massive contract rarely works out and hurts the team in general.

So, I guess we need to go out and get a Brady or a Peyton Manning to win a Super Bowl if we go with an old vet? That's another argument against Prescott then. I'm not doing 5 pages of a back and forth with you, you never know when to shut up and your arguments are always pretty bad.

So are you now wanting to walk this back: "And yet, they struggle to get Super Bowl wins while teams with young QBs on cheap contracts get a trophy. "

3 out of the last 10 fit this description. The rest have been over 30. You can whine about it all you want.. it's not going to change.. Talk all the schoolyard BS you want. The more you struggle to defend this garbage take the more you expose yourself to be what you are.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So are you now wanting to walk this back: "And yet, they struggle to get Super Bowl wins while teams with young QBs on cheap contracts get a trophy. "

3 out of the last 10 fit this description. The rest have been over 30. You can whine about it all you want.. it's not going to change.. Talk all the schoolyard BS you want. The more you struggle to defend this garbage take the more you expose yourself to be what you are.

Original argument, which was what someone responded to, ding dong.

Owners will eventually wake up to this and realize you can't give QBs this kind of money and expect prolonged success.

Are you incapable of doing this? By the way, read my post, I never denied that vet QBs can't win a Super Bowl - I suggested it's a struggle to get back there and have prolonged success. Brees, who never got back after 2009, had a stretch where the Saints couldn't make the playoffs. Giants outside of 2007 and 2011 struggled to make the playoffs. When did they make the playoffs against after 2011? 2016? So here is the list

Eli Manning - 30
Joe Flacco - 27
Russel Wilson - 25
Tom Brady - 37, 39, 41
Peyton Manning - 39
Nick Foles - 28
Patrick Mahomes - 24

So, if you want to get a Super Bowl victory you either have to have a young QB on a cheap contract or have legendary QBs. If you want to point out Eli Manning, he would actually just be an outlier.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This isn't about Prescott, it is about the team. It's not about establishing his worth. Or any QB's worth.

Do you think the Cowboys would be a championship caliber team with Mahomes or Watson? The two 40M QB's. Think Rodgers or Wilson at 35m and 33M would do it?

TB did what they did with a 25M QB considered the GOAT. KC got there with their QB still on his rookie deal. BAL and BUF got their with QB's on their rookie deals.

When NE was winning all those trophies, what were they paying their QB and why was that? Kraft even said Brady really has no choice meaning if he wanted to stay in NE and keep gathering jewelry, he had to be cooperative on the salary. Because Kraft as the owner understood Belichick the HC was all about the team.

The most successful HC in NFL history would not pay any QB 40M. He had the best and was willing to trade him if he didn't fit in the cap formula. He actually planned on doing that. There's a lesson to be learned there.

It doesn't matter what QB the Cowboys have, they cannot pay him that much of the cap because they are challenged in deciding what to pay other players. They are average team builders at best.

Because of how they distribute the cap, they have to be dead on in the draft, particularly on the D side. Are they? Are they even good in FA with the D? Paying any QB 40M only exacerbates what is already the problem along with being challenged with player evaluations.

The Dallas Cowboys are the prime example of what happens with a team paying too much to too many, it is feast and famine on the same team. And they will all stay hungry.

In the short run, the best thing they can do is get a rookie QB, keep Dalton and focus on the rest of the team. If they don't, the long run doesn't matter.
its about paying the right players....everyone keeps going back to Brady, but his situation is different. his first contract extension wasn't a gift to NE, he got paid...subsequently he has taken less, his wife makes more money than he does and his recent contracts, are not about money, but rings for him. he has been in the league 20 years.

now, for Mahomes, are you suggesting that KC shouldn't have resigned Mahomes to an extension? How about Rodgers, he was among top 3 paid for his position at the time of his contract? should GB say bah bye Rodgers. How about Wilson? should Seattle say, see ya? its a QB driven league. they get over drafted, teams take chances and they are always looking for that QB. and when you find one, you keep him. Will KC at some point have to rebuild around Mahomes? probably yes. not every coach is Bilicheck to keep his team competitive for so long.

now, we have to resign Dak. or else you are in a rebuild fishing mode for your QB and it could take years. I mean years as it has for many teams....not everybody is lucky like Indy, to draft Manning and then get Luck and have top notch QBs for like almost 25 years....and now they are fishing. they have a ready team but not the QB. and they came up short.

and you can't build through FA. you can fill in the gaps. sign a couple of high priced, maybe get a one year rental and a couple of mid level perhaps. but you have to build through the draft and for cowboys, in 15 years, 44 defensive picks we have had one impact player, namely Lawrence. there is not one defensive player we need to resign, and in fact need to get rid of Jaylon and his outrageous contract.

the problem isn't paying Dak, but Paying zeke two years before his contract ran out. paying Jaylon. Paying Martin (yes, martin). I love him. he is a great great guard. he will be a HOFer, but no team wins because they have the best RG in the league, in fact I bet you can't name the 8 guards on the championship teams without googling it.

and Dak's contract shouldn't be a show stopper for us to sign other FAs...we have 7 of the top 5 largest position contracts on the team. and we had Dak....how many more do you want?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They need to figure out how to get the Jets pick so they can take Zach Wilson.

weren’t you one of the dopes that was rooting for the cowboys to win games late? Now your wondering what we could have done to get a high pick? :lmao::lmao:

You were more concerned with your hero dalton looking good then what was best for the cowboys.

pathetic.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Original argument, which was what someone responded to, ding dong.

Are you incapable of doing this? By the way, read my post, I never denied that vet QBs can't win a Super Bowl - I suggested it's a struggle to get back there and have prolonged success. Brees, who never got back after 2009, had a stretch where the Saints couldn't make the playoffs. Giants outside of 2007 and 2011 struggled to make the playoffs. When did they make the playoffs against after 2011? 2016? So here is the list

Eli Manning - 30
Joe Flacco - 27
Russel Wilson - 25
Tom Brady - 37, 39, 41
Peyton Manning - 39
Nick Foles - 28
Patrick Mahomes - 24

So, if you want to get a Super Bowl victory you either have to have a young QB on a cheap contract or have legendary QBs. If you want to point out Eli Manning, he would actually just be an outlier.

What makes you think a team like the Seattle won because the qb was on a cheap deal?

Seattle won because they drafted well. You could argue they couldn’t keep the team together because of salary cap.