Can the Cowboys afford any 40M QB?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hypothetical is basically the basis for fan forum discussions, especially off season.

What else is there to discuss ? Except the weather in Texas .
No, you're wrong. There are plenty of more tangible topics to talk about. It's only because of your own lack of imagination that you say what you say. We have an actual roster to talk about. We have a failed season to analyze and point out where the improvements need to be. The new DC has talked about scrapping the complicated scheme that Mike Nolan tried to install in a virtual practice environment, and go back to basics to help players like Jaylon Smith. Who else will this move help? These are discussions in the realm of reality rather than fantasizing about which other expensive QB could the Cowboys afford... something that is not going to happen!

cristglo

Reaction score
I dont like it no more then a lot of you on here but it is a business to them To us its a game that we love to watch, Playing just because you love the game is over. Brady he can take less he has more money then his great grandkids could ever spend. These players will make more money then half of us combined over a life time will ever see. Us fans will buy the over priced jerseys and tickets every year because after putting in a 40 hr plus week working our dogs to the bone for most of the ungrateful employers we need a place to make us feel that we matter! We love the game we love to watch it, we love to post and argue about it. LOL

Gaede

Reaction score
So to sum up. We should move on from Dak because he's not worth the money. And without his bloated contract we could afford to build a better all around team.

Ok. That is actually a decent argument.

What doesn't make sense is why this was never actually the case. Dak was on a 4th rd rookie deal; where was our team building then? Did Stephen not get the memo that it was cool and perfect to spend money in free agency? Or, did our genius front office actually think they could plumb the depths of free agency and turn the likes of Allen Hurns, Benson Mayowa, and Darian Thomson into starters? These are the guys you want building this super team (without a QB)?!

Point is. It literally does not matter how much our star player makes, and what percentage of the cap he represents, when Jerry and Stephen build the team. If they don't give a big stupid contract to the QB, they'll give it to someone else. Or, they'll use the cap savings to sign several more no-names than normal, and we'll continue to struggle to reach the playoffs in the NFLs worst division where a 3 game win streak feels like we won the super bowl

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, you're wrong. There are plenty of more tangible topics to talk about. It's only because of your own lack of imagination that you say what you say. We have an actual roster to talk about. We have a failed season to analyze and point out where the improvements need to be. The new DC has talked about scrapping the complicated scheme that Mike Nolan tried to install in a virtual practice environment, and go back to basics to help players like Jaylon Smith. Who else will this move help? These are discussions in the realm of reality rather than fantasizing about which other expensive QB could the Cowboys afford... something that is not going to happen!
Then why don’t you discuss those? If there’s not a thread , start one . Why waste time with threads which aren’t any concern to you.

It would be like going to a restaurant you didn’t like just to tell them how much you didn’t like their food instead of the place you like to eat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And then there is JJ.

When Belichick and coach Jimma, got together they talked about not drafting dumb players. And when I heard that some on the defense could not grasp a new concept, yeah, them be dumb players. Those guys on the defense are there for the fame and the money, and once they got, all show and nothing else. That is another misuse of the salary cap, and now JJ wants to repeat that same mistake? Dumb! If Jerry caves and spends his money on just one player again and lets the others eat hotdogs, the team will suck until that contract expires.

No Soup or SuperBowl for you!
Those are sound arguments and I like the soupnazi analogy. But the fact is we will probably suk more without Dak that with him.

If not for the two QB’s Jethro has stumbled on to in last 15 years we might not have been interesting or relevant at all.

I’m not sure based on what we’ve seen this era we’d have any confidence we could muster much of a team without a QB dependent roster?

These years we’ve been able to win the division and make it to a divisional playoff game have been the marquee pinnacles this era which wouldn’t have been possible without the QB’s we had .

That’s about as good as it’s going to get I’m afraid . And compared to all of those non playoff seasons, I’ll take that. “Relevant and interesting “ which is after all the bar set by Jethro. No reason our expectations should be higher than his.

blueblood70

Reaction score
any yes that is if we got Wilson or Rogers in trade for dak and say or 10th , Dak NO

stay near 35 or just ride this out, new plan and move on..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I guess it remains to be seen if the Cowboys are willing to remain dormant in their ability to be competitive.

Demanding a $40 million dollar contract would, almost certainly, tend to cause that situation to materialize.

The Cowboys defense, as it had been performing during 2020 was sorely devoid of performing adequately.

A continuation of their abilities to compete affordably would likely be doomed to remain as such indefinitely.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s still to be determined if letting Brady was a good move. I’d say from the onset if hasn’t been yet. But to each their own I guess. Lol

Let’s see. First losing season in 20 years versus a 7th ring for the other guy. Great formula :)
I don't think it was a case of letting Brady go, I think he'd had enough. There were reports several years ago of him being fed up with the way Belichick used him as the whipping boy and then there was that showdown over his business partner hanging out with the players and actually countermanding the trainers on the team.

You see Amendola torching Belichick, the GM not the HC, and I am reminded of how the players felt about Schramm. I do not think he would have fared well in the age of FA.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess it remains to be seen if the Cowboys are willing to remain dormant in their ability to be competitive.

Demanding a $40 million dollar contract would, almost certainly, tend to cause that situation to materialize.

The Cowboys defense, as it had been performing during 2020 was sorely devoid of performing adequately.

A continuation of their abilities to compete affordably would likely be doomed to remain as such indefinitely.
Leaving the fans to ask "is this team built to compete for a championship or to be entertaining and relevant"? It is obvious by the ratings and revenue that they are quite content with just being good enough to occasionally show up.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Then why don’t you discuss those? If there’s not a thread , start one . Why waste time with threads which aren’t any concern to you.

It would be like going to a restaurant you didn’t like just to tell them how much you didn’t like their food instead of the place you like to eat.
Except this isn't your restaurant, you just eat here. If you like the slop here then eat it but don't tell me what to do. I'm talking to the business owner.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Leaving the fans to ask "is this team built to compete for a championship or to be entertaining and relevant"? It is obvious by the ratings and revenue that they are quite content with just being good enough to occasionally show up.

Our FO loves to state their desire to win but their reluctance to do what it takes speaks volumes about their status quo attitude. ;)

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Except this isn't your restaurant, you just eat here. If you like the slop here then eat it but don't tell me what to do. I'm talking to the business owner.
Each thread is like a restaurant was the analogy. Sorry you didn’t grasp that. This site is like a shopping mall or center where all of the restaurants are located.

If you enter the restaurants where slop is served then not sure why you’d expect anything more.

Just trying to help you manage your time and frustration.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those pleas to the fans is simply appealing to public perception . Their actions determine the dedication to winning.
And the owner has sent the message loud and clear but some just don't seem to want to accept that. He is not changing, the situation is not changing, you might want to consider changing your expectations.

I expect mediocrity and am not disappointed and get a surprise every now and then and this stuff ain't life and death to me, so I can live with that. Hey, you're a longtime Baylor fan and I am a lifetime Hog, you can get used to anything. Hell, I cried for happy when we won our first SEC game in 3 years. You give a starving man a cracker, he's appreciative.

aria

Reaction score
I was told by a regular not so bright poster on this site that the salary cap is just a myth and we can sign whoever we want without a repercussions or worries. All contracts can be altered, salary cap hell is just a made up term and doesn’t really exist.

So based on that theory, sure, we can afford a 40 million dollar QB and CB if we really wanted. We can afford whoever we want!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Each thread is like a restaurant was the analogy. Sorry you didn’t grasp that. This site is like a shopping mall or center where all of the restaurants are located.

If you enter the restaurants where slop is served then not sure why you’d expect anything more.

Just trying to help you manage your time and frustration.
You don't control every thread here. When I'm talking to the OP, your peanut gallery comments don't mean much to me. Remember that the next time you try to stick your nose in. That goes for every thread here. It's only when you're the OP that your comments are going to have any weight with me.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Owners will eventually wake up to this and realize you can't give QBs this kind of money and expect prolonged success.
And yet the importance of a good QB is constantly echoed with the Super Bowl success of QBs like Brady and Mahomes. Owners are willing to pay for that advantage. You can't deny it.