Can this Defense be built around Parsons?

kskboys

Reaction score
I gotcha.

the second part unfortunately is true for all star players.
Once they get paid, they are expected to be like LBJ and single handily will their team to the Finals or it's a bad deal.

Now I do have some concerns about his durability as the season goes on. The stats sort of show a drop off in production in the last quarter of games of the season and postseason.
Variables need to be looked at, but one concern non the less if he can step up when the lights are the brightest.
Correct. Which is why you need great backups so the DE position still gets pressure when Parsons is taking a breather.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st, Jerry and Stephen are not the ones putting together the roster. Not entirely.
They go by scouting reports and suggestions from Will McClay and his scouts. As well as the coaches.
The issue of the salary cap comes into play from the FO at that point. Which they have screwed up time and time again. Therefore bring in inferior players according to many fans. Fans are going to complain about this FO regardless. When they do win, then the fans will not give the FO any credit, it will be they won in spite of them.

2nd, why does Micah need to be the leader. Why can't there be several players that just set an example for the rest of the team to get fired up.
I don't see Micah as not being mature enough, but he does need to be more of a team guy than a me first person. Even though I don't think he is that as much as fans make him out to be.

3rd, a team should not build a defense around one player. You need players everywhere and depth. We are always told how talented this team is. But yet when a player goes down. It seems to affect the entire defense at times. Therefore no real depth, so not as talented as they tell us. So really need to build around maybe 5 players. Put an average player around a few great players. That average player seems to be better. Put him around other average players, then flaws show for all players.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Now I do have some concerns about his durability as the season goes on. The stats sort of show a drop off in production in the last quarter of games of the season and postseason
Honestly, as much as I want to keep and sign him, his contracts scare me to death, and not coz I don't think he is worth it. It's the position(s) he plays that take a lot of beating. My concern is very similar to the way Sean Lee finished his career. Damn good player but spent the last 2-3 years of his career missing a lot of games. THIS is why I would rather sign Parsons like yesterday ( even before Lamb). Let's get him signed ASAP so hopefully, we can get 3-4 good years before injuries start breaking his body down.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In answer to the question in the OP- “Can this defense be built around Micah Parsons?” The answer to that question is is two pronged:
  1. Yes, we could build around Parsons IF we had a front office that knew HOW to do that. The Jones front office is pretty good at acquiring talent in the draft. But their big picture strategic talent acquisition through free agency and trades is very weak. We should be able to build around Parsons if there was a strategy outside of the draft and develop model.
  2. The Jones front office’s biggest strength is marketing not strategic talent acquisition. They have a very full resume of failure in the cap era to be able to build a deep, well rounded championship roster. They have never proved in the cap era they know HOW to do that. The cap mystifies them. The great GMs like KC’s Brett Veach, the rams Les Snead and even young up and coming lions GM Brad Holmes, are all mastering the cap, not complaining about its limitations.
Soon as I saw marketing,l I stopped reading haze, it doesn't even matter anymore I swear. We'd rather have the flashy lights etc etc, then to win the shiny ring!!

John813

Reaction score
Correct. Which is why you need great backups so the DE position still gets pressure when Parsons is taking a breather.

It's how the Giants were so good 15-18 years ago. Strahan, Osi, Tuck, JPP were just relentless all game.
Backups didn't have much of a drop off

Add in Canty, Linval Joseph at DT etc...

Which was why I was concerned a bit when both Armstrong and Fowler left as while they were no JPP/Tuck, they are at least were average edge players.
Now, we have a gassed Lawrence, Sam who knows Williams, Kneeland and Parsons. Who knows also about Fehoko.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's how the Giants were so good 15-18 years ago. Strahan, Osi, Tuck, JPP were just relentless all game.
Backups didn't have much of a drop off

Add in Canty, Linval Joseph at DT etc...

Which was why I was concerned a bit when both Armstrong and Fowler left as while they were no JPP/Tuck, they are at least were average edge players.
Now, we have a gassed Lawrence, Sam who knows Williams, Kneeland and Parsons. Who knows also about Fehoko.
Kneeland should be decent, at minimum.

Fehoko lacks the lateral agility to get pressure w/ any consistency.

That Giants lineup in 07 sacked Brady 5 times and hit him relentlessly. At the time, I think the Pats O was the highest scoring of all time, if not close. To hold them to 14 points was absolutely phenomenal. And then to give the MVP to Eli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Made the MVP reward a joke. Tuck was clearly the MVP of that game, and if there was a close 2nd it was one of the other DLiners.

conner01

Reaction score
Honestly, as much as I want to keep and sign him, his contracts scare me to death, and not coz I don't think he is worth it. It's the position(s) he plays that take a lot of beating. My concern is very similar to the way Sean Lee finished his career. Damn good player but spent the last 2-3 years of his career missing a lot of games. THIS is why I would rather sign Parsons like yesterday ( even before Lamb). Let's get him signed ASAP so hopefully, we can get 3-4 good years before injuries start breaking his body down.
I like always signing early. I get the breaking down part. That was a big part of the mistake with Zeke. If you are gonna sign a guy then sign him as soon as you can so you get the prime years of his career plus it’s always cheaper too

Chasing6

Reaction score
First answer that comes to mind, is do the Cowboys actually understand what it takes to build a defense (front office). I'm sure there's plenty of coaches, and player personnel that actually know how to do this, but Jerry and Stephen have their own vision of doing things

Second- With all that Micah has going on in being a young gifted athlete, is he mature enough to handle this and be the leader that we'd need him to be??

Third- Will MIcah be around long enough for us to build a team around him? It was mentioned he only wants to play until he's 30, is it worth investing so much in a guy that doesn't want to be around longer??? Please give your thoughts
Micah is probably realistic about the physical beating he is taking.

I think you build a defense around a stud in the middle. Someone with physicality that sets the tempo on a regular basis at MLB or a DT.

Micah in my opinion is not a physical dominating player as a DE.

btgboys41

Reaction score
First answer that comes to mind, is do the Cowboys actually understand what it takes to build a defense (front office). I'm sure there's plenty of coaches, and player personnel that actually know how to do this, but Jerry and Stephen have their own vision of doing things

Second- With all that Micah has going on in being a young gifted athlete, is he mature enough to handle this and be the leader that we'd need him to be??

Third- Will MIcah be around long enough for us to build a team around him? It was mentioned he only wants to play until he's 30, is it worth investing so much in a guy that doesn't want to be around longer??? Please give your thoughts
I’m not sure it makes sense to build around a person on defense. Not sure what that even means on an nfl defense.

However, I think I get the spirit of the question and it’s a good one I think. I would say that their approach to building the defense should be the same whether he is here or not. He is a great athlete who is a very good pass rusher. He should not influence any moves at all as they address personnel.

I don’t want him as a leader because I don’t want other players to adopt his approach off the field, and his lack of physicality in the run game on the field. He is a big reason why the defense is a bunch of excuse-makers. His team and many in this zone all joined in on the “held every play” campaign and Micah was the centerpiece of all that crap.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

If you want a defense that will fade towards end of the season and can be good against bad teams and average against good teams, then yeah build it around Parsons.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Sure, you can build a team around anybody.

Now will it bring you SB wins?

That's an entirely different issue...

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Of course he CAN be a defensive leader on a team. One of the two or three guys that a team needs as a core to a good/great D. With Parsons that is not the question. The question is with him: Can our people manage and coach him? He seems to be a handful at times.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In answer to the question in the OP- “Can this defense be built around Micah Parsons?” The answer to that question is is two pronged:
  1. Yes, we could build around Parsons IF we had a front office that knew HOW to do that. The Jones front office is pretty good at acquiring talent in the draft. But their big picture strategic talent acquisition through free agency and trades is very weak. We should be able to build around Parsons if there was a strategy outside of the draft and develop model.
  2. The Jones front office’s biggest strength is marketing not strategic talent acquisition. They have a very full resume of failure in the cap era to be able to build a deep, well rounded championship roster. They have never proved in the cap era they know HOW to do that. The cap mystifies them. The great GMs like KC’s Brett Veach, the rams Les Snead and even young up and coming lions GM Brad Holmes, are all mastering the cap, not complaining about its limitations.
Thanks for giving your thoughts

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Micah is probably realistic about the physical beating he is taking.

I think you build a defense around a stud in the middle. Someone with physicality that sets the tempo on a regular basis at MLB or a DT.

Micah in my opinion is not a physical dominating player as a DE.
In my eyes I'm sorry you can't build around that he's not strong enough to hold it down

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course he CAN be a defensive leader on a team. One of the two or three guys that a team needs as a core to a good/great D. With Parsons that is not the question. The question is with him: Can our people manage and coach him? He seems to be a handful at times.
This

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m not sure it makes sense to build around a person on defense. Not sure what that even means on an nfl defense.

However, I think I get the spirit of the question and it’s a good one I think. I would say that their approach to building the defense should be the same whether he is here or not. He is a great athlete who is a very good pass rusher. He should not influence any moves at all as they address personnel.

I don’t want him as a leader because I don’t want other players to adopt his approach off the field, and his lack of physicality in the run game on the field. He is a big reason why the defense is a bunch of excuse-makers. His team and many in this zone all joined in on the “held every play” campaign and Micah was the centerpiece of all that crap.
Post of your life right here, totally agree

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Id say you can't build a defense around any one person,,, in fact the only thing you can build it around is a solid DL or front 7. Fix that and everything gets better.
You have to build the defense AND the offense from the middle out. Cowboys have done a good job on the offensive line but ignore the interior DL and now RB. Unless they upgrade the interior DL and the RB room before the season opener, it could get ugly early.