Can this Defense be built around Parsons?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
1st, Jerry and Stephen are not the ones putting together the roster. Not entirely.
They go by scouting reports and suggestions from Will McClay and his scouts. As well as the coaches.
The issue of the salary cap comes into play from the FO at that point. Which they have screwed up time and time again. Therefore bring in inferior players according to many fans. Fans are going to complain about this FO regardless. When they do win, then the fans will not give the FO any credit, it will be they won in spite of them.

2nd, why does Micah need to be the leader. Why can't there be several players that just set an example for the rest of the team to get fired up.
I don't see Micah as not being mature enough, but he does need to be more of a team guy than a me first person. Even though I don't think he is that as much as fans make him out to be.

3rd, a team should not build a defense around one player. You need players everywhere and depth. We are always told how talented this team is. But yet when a player goes down. It seems to affect the entire defense at times. Therefore no real depth, so not as talented as they tell us. So really need to build around maybe 5 players. Put an average player around a few great players. That average player seems to be better. Put him around other average players, then flaws show for all players.
:hammer:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You can but you don't have to in order to win a Super Bowl. Defenses don't win Super Bowls, teams do. My point is most Super Bowl-winning teams have an outstanding coach, and at least TWO elite playmakers on BOTH sides of the ball, one def being a QB. Arron Donald as great of player as he was only has one Super Bowl which he just recently won a few years ago. JJ Watts doesn't have one, nor does his brother JT. In fact, JT Watts never won a playoff game.

The bottom line is you can build a very strong defense with him but that alone isn't getting you a Super Bowl.
I disagree, a great defense can and have won SB's and got the teams to a SB.
In 1977-78 playoffs, dallas allowed 6,7,and 10 points in the SB, so all the offense had to do is top those totals lol to beat the other team.
Doesnt require a great offense to do that.

The defense won those games including the SB IMO

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Micah isnt good enough in games, esp late season or playoffs to be worth 40 mil a year.
But if they pay dak and lamb, might as well pay him too.

kskboys

Reaction score
You can but you don't have to in order to win a Super Bowl. Defenses don't win Super Bowls, teams do. My point is most Super Bowl-winning teams have an outstanding coach, and at least TWO elite playmakers on BOTH sides of the ball, one def being a QB. Arron Donald as great of player as he was only has one Super Bowl which he just recently won a few years ago. JJ Watts doesn't have one, nor does his brother JT. In fact, JT Watts never won a playoff game.

The bottom line is you can build a very strong defense with him but that alone isn't getting you a Super Bowl.
KC just won a super bowl w/ D.

No one is saying that D is all it takes, but the likelihood of winning a super bowl w/o a good D is almost nil.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I agree, but he would be a strong complementary piece. That is why he is not worth $40M a year.
Yup lol that's exactly what he'd be asking for too, he's too hyped up for being good at one thing

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We need a centerpiece to build around and we don't have one yet on defense. We have some talent, but we need a dominating DT, LB or SS that can set the tone for this Defense.
we drafted one and moved him to DE...so he could hang us over a barrell come contract time....

Chasing6

Reaction score
we drafted one and moved him to DE...so he could hang us over a barrell come contract time....
He is not hanging us over anything. Trade his sorry arse. GM Jethro does not have the balls to make tough decisions.

Trade him to the AFC for multiple picks. Save the money and get the best DT available in FA, since it is obvious we don't know how to draft one. Use the draft picks to trade up in the first round and get the best DE or LB in the draft.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
He is not hanging us over anything. Trade his sorry arse. GM Jethro does not have the balls to make tough decisions.

Trade him to the AFC for multiple picks. Save the money and get the best DT available in FA, since it is obvious we don't know how to draft one. Use the draft picks to trade up in the first round and get the best DE or LB in the draft.
I would do that before breaking the bank for him as a DE...

Proof

Reaction score
In answer to the question in the OP- “Can this defense be built around Micah Parsons?” The answer to that question is is two pronged:
  1. Yes, we could build around Parsons IF we had a front office that knew HOW to do that. The Jones front office is pretty good at acquiring talent in the draft. But their big picture strategic talent acquisition through free agency and trades is very weak. We should be able to build around Parsons if there was a strategy outside of the draft and develop model.
  2. The Jones front office’s biggest strength is marketing not strategic talent acquisition. They have a very full resume of failure in the cap era to be able to build a deep, well rounded championship roster. They have never proved in the cap era they know HOW to do that. The cap mystifies them. The great GMs like KC’s Brett Veach, the rams Les Snead and even young up and coming lions GM Brad Holmes, are all mastering the cap, not complaining about its limitations.
how would you say veach, snead and holmes are "mastering the cap"? really the only move I can think of is jettisoning tyreek hill, and that was primarily his choice. the rams haven't mastered the cap, they just sacrificed all flexibility for star power trades. The lions have a ton of young talent from perenially sucking and finally drafting well. Howie seems to be the only real cap master in the league. well he and lynch, and lynch was fortunate enough to have purdy fall in his lap.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Yes. But it needs couple of pro bowl (not necessarily all pro) caliber players with swagger and toughness to complement the meek lion so he can just play. He needs to lead as little as possible

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
KC just won a super bowl w/ D.

No one is saying that D is all it takes, but the likelihood of winning a super bowl w/o a good D is almost nil.
Not sure about that......Mahomes was Super Bowl MVP.
I agree with the 2nd part 100%
My point is it takes a TEAM to win a Super Bowl. I can think of only two defensive that carried a team to the Super Bowl and won it.......1985 Bears and Ray Lewis's defense with Trent Dilfer as QB.

75boyz

Reaction score
Possibly.
Quinn using him as mostly an edge DE was the proper decision considering his outstanding pass rush skill set.

But whatever tweaks or changes Zimmer needs to do in order to help Parsons to not be gassed at the end of the season and playoffs is what I'm looking for honestly.

No more end of year and playoff no shows.
That's the type of on field leadership by example I'm looking for in order to influence the rest of his defensive team mates.

I've yet to see it. So up to now the attempt at building the defense around him has failed.

StarLord

Reaction score
I disagree, a great defense can and have won SB's and got the teams to a SB.
In 1977-78 playoffs, dallas allowed 6,7,and 10 points in the SB, so all the offense had to do is top those totals lol to beat the other team.
Doesnt require a great offense to do that.

The defense won those games including the SB IMO
The rules are very different. In the modern NFL, defenses realistically cannot win SBs. Honestly, if you look at the last 10 years, the teams that win have elite, next leave QBs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
how would you say veach, snead and holmes are "mastering the cap"? really the only move I can think of is jettisoning tyreek hill, and that was primarily his choice. the rams haven't mastered the cap, they just sacrificed all flexibility for star power trades. The lions have a ton of young talent from perenially sucking and finally drafting well. Howie seems to be the only real cap master in the league. well he and lynch, and lynch was fortunate enough to have purdy fall in his lap.
Since you asked, here are some articles about how these guys have done managing the cap:

Proof

Reaction score
Appreciate you providing the articles. The Snead ones though, did you read them? The first article is really just hit piece on the Bills for losing Diggs. It has nothing to do with Sneads cap capabilities. And the second is just about the Rams aggressive approach to team building.

As far as veach the second article actually addresses maneuvering / manipulating the cap, and it does tout some rules he exploits. But they are veteran minimum-esque exemptions that really don't amount to much at all. Good to know and use, and I'm sure the Jones boys don't have a clue, but nothing very noteworthy. First article doesn't really touch on the cap much at all outside of how cash strapped they are constantly operating. So again, appreciate the response and evidence provided, just doesn't support much to me. Both are outstanding GM's in general though.

kskboys

Reaction score
The rules are very different. In the modern NFL, defenses realistically cannot win SBs. Honestly, if you look at the last 10 years, the teams that win have elite, next leave QBs.
And a competent D. Teams w/ elite QBs w/ no D don't win the super bowl.

Once again, no one is saying all it takes is D.

KC just won the super bowl w/ D. I think I already posted this, but let's try again:

KC allowed 15.8 PPG in the playoffs vs teams that average 28.3 in the regular season.

kskboys

Reaction score
Possibly.
Quinn using him as mostly an edge DE was the proper decision considering his outstanding pass rush skill set.

But whatever tweaks or changes Zimmer needs to do in order to help Parsons to not be gassed at the end of the season and playoffs is what I'm looking for honestly.

No more end of year and playoff no shows.
That's the type of on field leadership by example I'm looking for in order to influence the rest of his defensive team mates.

I've yet to see it. So up to now the attempt at building the defense around him has failed.
Disagree. I think it's a parallel when we stupidly played Ratliff at NT. Same thing, more sacks but weak vs the run. Selling out for sacks does not win super bowls.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not sure about that......Mahomes was Super Bowl MVP.
I agree with the 2nd part 100%
My point is it takes a TEAM to win a Super Bowl. I can think of only two defensive that carried a team to the Super Bowl and won it.......1985 Bears and Ray Lewis's defense with Trent Dilfer as QB.
I am sure. The KC D allowed 15.8 PPG in the playoffs vs teams that scored 28.3 in the regular season.

04 Bucs. 2018 Pats. All 3 of the first Pats super bowls. 2013 Seachickens.

I think you might be falling for the media hyping up Offense. Mahomes was not the MVP, the D was. Same as Eli in 07, same as the Pats in 18 when it was given to Edelmann. Hey, if a D holds a team to 3 points, especially in today's NFL, the MVP is someone on the D, it is NOT anyone on O after managing only 13 pts.