CFZ Can this dysfunctional ownership return to glory without an Elite QB?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
First of all this isn’t a Dak bashing thread . I think most fans believe Dak is enough to build around if we had a normal organization.

Many fans want the Cowboys to go All In. And I’m just not sure these Bozo’s are willing to risk their relativity and interest that mediocrity provides them to hype and sell . It’s a comfort zone for them being a playoff contender which keeps the registers ringing.

What I’m proposing is given if everything else stays the same I think the one piece that could elevate or take us to the next level is an Elite QB.

These fools have proven they can build a playoff caliber team around the likes of over achievers like Prescott and Romo but what if we had a Mahomes, Burrows type QB. Could that be enough to take us to the next level. I’d sure like to find out.

I understand there’s only a handful of these type of QB’s in the league . But how far are those teams going without those types of QB’s?

It takes too much of well oiled machine in the front office and coaching to build a Super Bowl contender without one of these type QB’s IMO.

I understand this isn’t something we can do under current contracts but I think ultimately if we truly want this frikin front office to have more of an opportunity to flourish this is the one entity or asset that might be enough to knock the door down. I’d sure like to try at some point.

JBS

Reaction score
I think they’ve proven they cannot do it without an elite qb

Romo was good. Wasn’t enough

Dak is good. Not good enough

I think the only chance to carry this team is a super star qb. But they’ll never get one

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

I think the only chance to carry this team is a super star qb. But they’ll never get one
If the defense ever gets to 1985 Bears level, or such, they can also win a SB. It's happened several times over the years.

But that's probably just as hard as getting the "eilte" quarterback.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the defense ever gets to 1985 Bears level, or such, they can also win a SB. It's happened several times over the years.

But that's probably just as hard as getting the "eilte" quarterback.
Yep

And why I think it’d be easier for our dysfunctional ownership to find that type of QB than build the type team needed without one .

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think it matters if the QB is elite. This ownership group has major issues when it comes to it's own personnel and they do not care to correct it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First of all this isn’t a Dak bashing thread . I think most fans believe Dak is enough to build around if we had a normal organization.

Many fans want the Cowboys to go All In. And I’m just not sure these Bozo’s are willing to risk their relativity and interest that mediocrity provides them to hype and sell . It’s a comfort zone for them being a playoff contender which keeps the registers ringing.

What I’m proposing is given if everything else stays the same I think the one piece that could elevate or take us to the next level is an Elite QB.

These fools have proven they can build a playoff caliber team around the likes of over achievers like Prescott and Romo but what if we had a Mahomes, Burrows type QB. Could that be enough to take us to the next level. I’d sure like to find out.

I understand there’s only a handful of these type of QB’s in the league . But how far are those teams going without those types of QB’s?

It takes too much of well oiled machine in the front office and coaching to build a Super Bowl contender without one of these type QB’s IMO.

I understand this isn’t something we can do under current contracts but I think ultimately if we truly want this frikin front office to have more of an opportunity to flourish this is the one entity or asset that might be enough to knock the door down. I’d sure like to try at some point.
This is a GREAT question!!

The better question should be...........................What are the chances that the Jones clowns are able to draft an elite QB in our life time? I say the chances are barely above 10%.

Now even if they did get lucky and were able to draft one, would they have the right coaching and be able to surround him with a championship roster? I think those chances are just as slim.

raven55

Reaction score
The big answer to that is NO. Its not that coach is bad but when jerry in his drunk stupor comes out and tells every body that this is the line up from last year it doesn't give the coach any authority, maybe hamburger mike like's this i don't know but if my job was on the line since jerry will owe him his salary regardless i would march into his office and tell him to keep his mouth shut about the roster. and if he fired me so be it. that's why JIMMY JOHNSON left after the owners meeting and didn't look back and that's also any coach worth his salt would run the other way if he's smart jerry cannot keep that stupid mouth shut and folks that's why if your wasiting on a super bowl IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I see it as the opposite. Where you focus on the QB, I focus on the FO.

I see it like this:

Romo was good, good enough, FO no good enough

Dak was good, good enough, FO not good enough

I do agree that the only REAL chance they have is with a Mahomes type, which they will never get.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yep

And why I think it’d be easier for our dysfunctional ownership to find that type of QB than build the type team needed without one .
Thats where we disagree. Whether you have an elite QB or not, you still need a championship caliber team around him.

I think getting the championship team is not as hard as finding a Mahomes. Mahomes has a great team around him and the best of coaching.

Traded Hill for Jones on defense and its looking like a good swap.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The big answer to that is NO. Its not that coach is bad but when jerry in his drunk stupor comes out and tells every body that this is the line up from last year it doesn't give the coach any authority, maybe hamburger mike like's this i don't know but if my job was on the line since jerry will owe him his salary regardless i would march into his office and tell him to keep his mouth shut about the roster. and if he fired me so be it. that's why JIMMY JOHNSON left after the owners meeting and didn't look back and that's also any coach worth his salt would run the other way if he's smart jerry cannot keep that stupid mouth shut and folks that's why if your wasiting on a super bowl IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
Agreed. Its not the players, its jerry.

Trajan

Reaction score
How are we getting an elite QB ? We have been so very fortunate to get a quality QB who was undrafted, then one in the 4th round. So, we were just lucky and Jerry won't draft one in the early rounds, or he hasn't since Aikman, and Quincy Carter doesn't really count. I don't see us trading for one and won't draft one in the first round, so kinda a meaningless argument.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
No and here’s why.

Jerry has often stated as early as last week his biggest regret was not getting to a SB with Tony.

He had ten years to figure it out, the last three of which he played at an extremely high level.

If Dilfer and Flacco and Eli can win SB’s so can Dak but the ridicules offer to Zeke and paying Dak above what he’s worth will doom us again.

There’s a saying I heard today…

Easy Choices = Hard Life.
Hard Choices = Easy Life

Jerry always makes the easy choices for players because he becomes attached to them.

Those choices make our lives hard…like 28 years hard.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A big problem is that they believe they have an elite QB whether the hell that means. Their actions will follow that premise. I think they can win without one but my opinion is that they’d have to stock the offensive and defensive line shelves and make them the strength of the team. They would never do that.

They’re in an ugly cycle. The season ends ugly and futile and they come back trying to make a splash to keep fans engaged, and the media eating popcorn watching their every move and presser.

If I were them, I’d have a different strategy. I know the Dak contract is what it is. I’d draft a QB in the first or second that rated highest on the board and was available. That QB would at least establish the baseline of how good Dak has to play to remain starting. If Dak played better, cool.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This organization ruins players so expectations for an elite QB will just frustrate.

JBS

Reaction score
I see it as the opposite. Where you focus on the QB, I focus on the FO.

I see it like this:

Romo was good, good enough, FO no good enough

Dak was good, good enough, FO not good enough

I do agree that the only REAL chance they have is with a Mahomes type, which they will never get.
No that’s what I mean. The players aren’t good enough to carry this front office.