CFZ Can this dysfunctional ownership return to glory without an Elite QB?

DanA

Reaction score
I think it’s very hard to win a Super Bowl paying a QB market rates and we’ve pretty much exhausted Dak’s discount years. The Dak rookie years were off-set by Romo’s residual contract, and we wasted the last couple where we kicked the can down the road never really pushing our chips in. And Dak isn’t good enough to overcome a talent deficit like Mahomes or Rodgers.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No doubt but it seems like it’d have to help. Maybe at least get us to a championship game. Like Mahomey he’s only won 1 ring so far but 5 straight champ games and 3 SB appearances. Rodgers only went to 1 SB but 5 champ games.

I can’t help but think a QB of that caliber given everything else is the same is our best shot with these clowns. Especially when we see how far they have gone with Romo and Dak who while pretty good IMO aren’t to that level. No?
Romo and Dak are not at that level. NO way. Mahomes is the best I have EVER seen. Those guys come along once a generation.

The chances of getting him or one close to him are soo small its almost ridiculous to think about. And you cant rid of every QB in the 6-10 range simple because your FO isnt good enough to win with them.

What the Cowboys SHOULD do and they wont is extend Dak maybe another year or two and he must be tradeable. If after another two years you have a championship caliber team around the QB or close, then maybe you can trade Dak, get great compensation and use that to move up and get your young QB. I would also start drafting young guys now.

But if you have a no trade clause in his contract, he really isnt an asset for your team. Your spending all this money and if you cant trade him, whats the point?

hopemsu

Reaction score
yes, they can. Troy Aikman wasn't elite, and Jalen Hurts is not as good as Dak.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
The answer to the OP’s question lies in the history. Only one time has this ownership had success and its QB is now in the HOF. So the answer is no. Problem is ownership thinks we already have an elite QB.

Rayman70

Reaction score
giphy.gif
our front office.

Motorola

Reaction score
yes, they can. Troy Aikman wasn't elite, and Jalen Hurts is not as good as Dak.
Hurts is not as good as Prescott NOW.
But after three years in the league, and two seasons as the Eagles starting QB...that player is in the championship game with his team.

Brax

Reaction score
First of all this isn’t a Dak bashing thread . I think most fans believe Dak is enough to build around if we had a normal organization.

Many fans want the Cowboys to go All In. And I’m just not sure these Bozo’s are willing to risk their relativity and interest that mediocrity provides them to hype and sell . It’s a comfort zone for them being a playoff contender which keeps the registers ringing.

What I’m proposing is given if everything else stays the same I think the one piece that could elevate or take us to the next level is an Elite QB.

These fools have proven they can build a playoff caliber team around the likes of over achievers like Prescott and Romo but what if we had a Mahomes, Burrows type QB. Could that be enough to take us to the next level. I’d sure like to find out.

I understand there’s only a handful of these type of QB’s in the league . But how far are those teams going without those types of QB’s?

It takes too much of well oiled machine in the front office and coaching to build a Super Bowl contender without one of these type QB’s IMO.

I understand this isn’t something we can do under current contracts but I think ultimately if we truly want this frikin front office to have more of an opportunity to flourish this is the one entity or asset that might be enough to knock the door down. I’d sure like to try at some point.
Doesn’t matter what anyone thinks except the Jones boys and they believe they have a top 2-3 QB as Jerry has stated, that make him elite in the eyes of the the only people that matter, pretty sad isn’t it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
No

Only hope we have is that the next family member up, behind Jerry and Stephan, might know how to run a football team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter what anyone thinks except the Jones boys and they believe they have a top 2-3 QB as Jerry has stated, that make him elite in the eyes of the the only people that matter, pretty sad isn’t it.
Of course it matters what the rest of us think regardless if it impacts Jethro and Son.

And they do react to public perception and outcry. Not always as we’d hope . But we can make a difference or impact cumulatively.

Last edited:

Brax

Reaction score
Of course it matters what the rest of us think regardless if it impacts Jethro and Son.
They already have a elite QB, get with the program, wishing on a star isn’t changing anything. You need to laugh at the whole joke this middle of the pack team that Jerry is proud of.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They already have an elite QB, get with the program, wishing on a star isn’t changing anything. You need to laugh at the whole joke this middle of the pack team that Jerry is proud of.
We can actually do both.