Can We Clear Up The No Trade Clause Myth?

Havic

Reaction score
You mean extension and pay cut. A restructure doesn't cut Dak's pay next year. It just lowers his cap hit by about $20MM but that gets kicked into the dummy years. So you are going to have to account for it at some point in a restructure.
Dak is worth about 20-25m, that’s the only way I extend him. I’d prefer a cut or trade and start over

Sandyf

Reaction score
Dak will accept any trade as Jerry can threaten to make him a post-June 1st cut.
Threaten? Dak wouldn't care if he got cut as a June 1st designation. There are plenty of teams willing to pay him the money we will probably give him. Whether you like him or not, hid stats and winning percentage would have teams like Washington, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Vegas, Denver, Minnesota, Seattle, and New Orleans become much more viable than they are now. How many rookie QB actually turn out to be the guy? Less than 20 percent do and everybody knows it. How many turn out to be a Mahomes or a Josh Allen, less than 1 percent.

You think Jerry is that lucky?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
All of this would matter if we actually had a competent front office.

Instead, they'll sell to us how incredible their plan is with the same coaching staff and same QB.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
But it’s a myth? How can it be leverage if it’s a myth?
The “myth” is the assumption that he cannot be traded because of a no trade clause.

Maybe you believed that if you had a no trade clause you could never be traded under any circumstances and are just finding out that’s not actually the case?

If so, you’re welcome.

Sydla

Reaction score
I understand that but if you’re currently 29 million over the cap what’s 34 milllion?
One further point here, if you make him a June 1 trade (or cut) you actually don't get the cap savings until after June 1. So anyone thinking we can then spread that $34 million around in FA, to get under the cap by start of league year, etc? Nope. Doesn't work that way.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cap is expected to take a huge jump up come March.
I don't keep up with all the salary cap stuff. As I always say it works itself out.

Supposedly we are $20 million over last I read on here. So does that take into account the expected increase, or is that under the currant cap for 2023?
Then will be under once the 2024 cap is announced.

I still say just let him play out the 2024 season. And if Lance looks good in PS games, they may have the next QB. Also draft a QB high if one falls to you.
However we know Jerry and Son will not do that.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Having a no trade clause does not mean you cannot be traded.

It simply gives the player leverage to choose his destination.

So, if Jerry decides he wants to trade Dak he could do it, but only if Dak is okay with the destination.

This is just another example of how Dak’s agent schooled Jerry in negotiations.
He’s not alone though.

• Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia Eagles. ...
  • Russell Wilson, Denver Broncos. ...
  • Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills. ...
  • Deshaun Watson, Cleveland Browns …

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Early in the morning and Dak is on your mind. I think you got a man crush

kskboys

Reaction score
You are Clueless as after June the 1st most teams have their starting QB1 in place already.
You know the draft has ended and not many teams interested in paying 60 million to a choking QB.
No they don't. And if they do, they'd be looking at an upgrade. Dak is easily better than 10-20 starters in the NFL at QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
The cap is expected to take a huge jump up come March.
I don't keep up with all the salary cap stuff. As I always say it works itself out.

Supposedly we are $20 million over last I read on here. So does that take into account the expected increase, or is that under the currant cap for 2023?
Then will be under once the 2024 cap is announced.

I still say just let him play out the 2024 season. And if Lance looks good in PS games, they may have the next QB. Also draft a QB high if one falls to you.
However we know Jerry and Son will not do that.
Which means every team will have more money, and if takes a cap rising for us to get under, we surely won't have much to sign FA's w/, especially w/ other teams having more.