Can We Clear Up The No Trade Clause Myth?

Motorola

Reaction score
Just give Dak the Bobby Bonilla deal :laugh:
With what Prescott has earned so far in his eight seasons with the Cowboys (along with endorsements) - and what will be negotiated for in the next couple of months - makes Bonilla's historic contract back then equal to couch money to him and the most successful pro athletes (and head coaches) in many sports.
But to me (and I would guesstimate 95% of the world's population) -
Bonilla's "MLB 401K = pension" - would be like hitting the lotto.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ouch. Actually didn’t know that.
Yes, it's one thing people around here get wrong when discussing June 1 trades/cuts.

By rule, even if you designate someone a June 1 cut, you still have to carry his cap charge until June 1 on your books. So for example, they couldn't cut Dak right before start of league year, designate him a June 1 and then attempt to use that cap savings to get under the cap by start of league year.

Sydla

Reaction score
The only thing deranged is folks who still believe that Dak would be a HOT commodity in the FA market.
Now that my friend is DERANGED!!!!!
I have no idea what he would be worth.

But you continually say inaccurate things and here you claimed no team would want his $60MM hit. That's inaccurate. A team acquiring wouldn't owe him $60MM. Any team acquiring him would owe him just around $34MM (or less if they traded him after the roster bonus of $5MM was paid by us). What's odd is that I told you this very thing just a few days ago in another thread and you just don't seem to care to be accurate.

Facts should matter.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes, it's one thing people around here get wrong when discussing June 1 trades/cuts.

By rule, even if you designate someone a June 1 cut, you still have to carry his cap charge until June 1 on your books. So for example, they couldn't cut Dak right before start of league year, designate him a June 1 and then attempt to use that cap savings to get under the cap by start of league year.
So cutting him thi be s year benefits next year if you want his savings…..

Sydla

Reaction score
So cutting him thi be s year benefits next year if you want his savings…..
Basically but a better way to look at it is June 1 cuts/trades allow you to spread the dead money over two seasons instead of one. Obviously, in Dak's case, having to eat all his dead money this year would mean his cap savings would be negative BUT if designated June 1, you can basically push approx. half that dead money into 2025, which provides you with cap relief now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Basically but a better way to look at it is June 1 cuts/trades allow you to spread the dead money over two seasons instead of one. Obviously, in Dak's case, having to eat all his dead money this year would mean his cap savings would be negative BUT if designated June 1, you can basically push approx. half that dead money into 2025, which provides you with cap relief now.
Gotcha. So there are perks to it just not as simple having that space to use on free agents this year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Gotcha. So there are perks to it just not as simple having that space to use on free agents this year.
Pretty much. Now, the Cowboys always like to keep a cap cushion heading into the season, so in theory, Dallas could restructure a bunch of guys now to hit FA and basically go to zero cap space by June 1, then use Dak's cap savings to build up that cushion again (you also get to roll over any cap savings into the next season). So, there are some pretty decent benefits for the following year.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah I know you can’t wait for Rush to start you begged for him and Dalton….
I wasn't even a member of this board when Dalton was playing. Stop lyin.

Rush is a bum.

My choice is Trey Lance or a rookie. I like the unknown both of those bring us instead of the known losing when it matters Dak will bring us.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I have no idea what he would be worth.

But you continually say inaccurate things and here you claimed no team would want his $60MM hit. That's inaccurate. A team acquiring wouldn't owe him $60MM. Any team acquiring him would owe him just around $34MM (or less if they traded him after the roster bonus of $5MM was paid by us). What's odd is that I told you this very thing just a few days ago in another thread and you just don't seem to care to be accurate.

Facts should matter.
Some Cowboys fans are just projecting their dislike and view of Dak onto the GMs of other teams. And assume that those GMs won't see Dak as a QB who is worth trading any draft compensation to acquire. So if this is the case then what real power Jerry have over Dak by threatening to trade him away, if by these fans logic Jerry Jones doesn't feel like he could get anything of . value from other teams by trading Dak away? So if fans don't believe the front office can get anything of value back by trading him away then why not just wait until he is a free agent?

Fans should stop having these conversations about trading away Dak if they don't believe the team could get anything valuable to help rebuild or build for the future after he is gone. No need for them to have this "trade Dak" discussions" if they don't believe some team out there is willing to take the hit and is willing to pay him 34MM. Just a waste of discussion if they don't believe other GMs are willing to make deals with Jerry to get Dak.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
The only thing deranged is folks who still believe that Dak would be a HOT commodity in the FA market.
Now that my friend is DERANGED!!!!!
Even worse is not understanding the extreme need for starting QB's in the NFL. On this one, you should put your personal feelings aside and examine the trade assets gotten for Carson Wentz, Stafford, PeepeeSlap, Russell Wilson, etc...

It's blatantly easy to see that Dak is easily worth a 1+.

Sydla

Reaction score
Some Cowboys fans are just projecting their dislike and view of Dak onto the GMs of other teams. And assume that those GMs won't see Dak as a QB who is worth trading any draft compensation to acquire. So if this is the case then what real power Jerry have over Dak by threatening to trade him away, if by these fans logic Jerry Jones doesn't feel like he could get anything of . value from other teams by trading Dak away? So if fans don't believe the front office can get anything of value back by trading him away then why not just wait until he is a free agent?

Fans should stop having these conversations about trading away Dak if they don't believe the team could get anything valuable to help rebuild or build for the future after he is gone. No need for them to have this "trade Dak" discussions" if they don't believe some team out there is willing to take the hit and is willing to pay him 34MM. Just a waste of discussion if they don't believe other GMs are willing to make deals with Jerry to get Dak.
At the end of the day, if Carson Wentz WHO WAS BENCHED can get traded for a couple of nice picks, the notion that no one would want Dak is stupid. It's actually beyond stupid. Not only was Wentz benched, but he also was dogged by various reports from respectable reporters in Philly that he kind of was a clubhouse issue. And yet the Colts still traded two picks with one of those seconds converting to a first round pick.

Then after having the same issues in Indy, the Commanders gave up two seconds for him. So yeah, you may not get a Herschel Walker level trade for him or even a Russell Wilson level trade, you could probably get some value for him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Having a no trade clause does not mean you cannot be traded.

It simply gives the player leverage to choose his destination.

So, if Jerry decides he wants to trade Dak he could do it, but only if Dak is okay with the destination.

This is just another example of how Dak’s agent schooled Jerry in negotiations.
It doesn’t matter.

Dallas saves the same $$$ either way.

Cut = Trade

We save mega millions either way.

It only benefits Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
At the end of the day, if Carson Wentz WHO WAS BENCHED can get traded for a couple of nice picks, the notion that no one would want Dak is stupid. It's actually beyond stupid. Not only was Wentz benched, but he also was dogged by various reports from respectable reporters in Philly that he kind of was a clubhouse issue. And yet the Colts still traded two picks with one of those seconds converting to a first round pick.

Then after having the same issues in Indy, the Commanders gave up two seconds for him. So yeah, you may not get a Herschel Walker level trade for him or even a Russell Wilson level trade, you could probably get some value for him.
I think he'd bring two 1sts.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wasn't even a member of this board when Dalton was playing. Stop lyin.

Rush is a bum.

My choice is Trey Lance or a rookie. I like the unknown both of those bring us instead of the known losing when it matters Dak will bring us.
You were a member of this site under your other name when Dalton was here.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Even worse is not understanding the extreme need for starting QB's in the NFL. On this one, you should put your personal feelings aside and examine the trade assets gotten for Carson Wentz, Stafford, PeepeeSlap, Russell Wilson, etc...

It's blatantly easy to see that Dak is easily worth a 1+.
The Rams had to give additional draft capital to Detroit to entice them to take Goff in that deal. Note, the Lions are now still playing and the Rams are not. Granted, they did win a Super Bowl. Indianapolis regrets the deal they made for Wentz. Denver regrets, even more, the deal they made for Wilson. I doubt this has failed to get the attention of all 32 NFL franchises. No GM is in any itching hurry to repeat the mistakes Indy and Denver made. No one is going to step up and trade anything more than a 3rd for Prescott. And most teams wouldn’t offer anything at all.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Rams had to give additional draft capital to Detroit to entice them to take Goff in that deal. Note, the Lions are now still playing and the Rams are not. Granted, they did win a Super Bowl. Indianapolis regrets the deal they made for Wentz. Denver regrets, even more, the deal they made for Wilson. I doubt this has failed to get the attention of all 32 NFL franchises. No GM is in any itching hurry to repeat the mistakes Indy and Denver made. No one is going to step up and trade anything more than a 3rd for Prescott. And most teams wouldn’t offer anything at all.
I don't think you are correct.

Since I do not believe Dak will be traded, we'll never know, but to completely ignore what QB's are worth on the market seems a bit foolish, wouldn't you say?