Can we compete in the NFC East next year if Romo's struggles continue?

StarAmongStars

Reaction score
I know the obvious answer from a homer and Romo nuthugging standpoint is yes....but what if Romo's 15 minutes have ran it's course? What if it's all downhill from here? We do have a much more difficult schedule on paper next year and the book appears to out on Romo and his limited abilities.

But first let's look at the rest of the division:

Washington - Has found their apparent QB of the future in Jason Campbell, but bad drafting and personell decisions will probably haunt this team for at least the next few years but Campbell gives them a chance to do damage.

NYG - Eli Manning is a bust and with thier best player retiring it's not hard to imagine this team hitting rock bottom. Defense could possibly be worst than ours.

Philly - McNabb is still the man provided he's healthy, Andy Reid is the best coach in the division and they have the best defense in the division.

Quick Synopsis - Philly still owns the division and that should be the case the next few years, also if Jason Campbell is the real deal like I believe he is than we will be playing catch up to the Commanders.

Now evaluating our own deficiencies...it's easy to say we will suck if Romo's digression continues and he's not a legit franchise QB, but our problems go beyond just Romo:

Offensive line - still a major problem since the superbowl days and this needs to be the #1 priority this offseason. Bye bye Rivera, Flozell....Center also needs to be addressed. Amazing that a guy nobody expected anything from is a our best player: Columbo.

Secondary - RW is the most overrated player in the league, don't care how hard he hits because he can't cover anybody. FS is also a lingering issue since the days of Darren Woodson, and why this has not been adequately addresed mystifies me especially since we have had opportunitys to sign marquee free agents year after year and passed. Newman is the only good player we have and even he's starting to look like Dog Poo because Henry sucks and is a waste of roster space too. Why we didn't sign Charles Woodson, Dwight Smith, or Ty Law has left me dumbfounded. :banghead:

Pass Rush - We have a collection of defensive players that have talent, but don't fit our system. Ware is a good player, but he's not a gamechanger like Shawn Merriman or a true 3-4 linebacker. We parted ways with two young players (Fujita and Shanle) who were a great fit for our defense and have contributed to the Saints resurgence. Spears is a bust, and will Ellis career in limbo we need to get an impact player than knows how to get after the QB and wreak havoc!

The bottom line is we can't fix every problem with one swing of the bat so which QB will we see in 2007? The young, confident QB with moxie and potential? Or will Tony HOMO rear his ugly head and drag this team further into the abyss as we continue our decade long search to replace a legend?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
ya we are screwed cut him and move on, maybe brad johnson will be available, or even mark brunell...

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I would add in the abysmal Commanders D somewhere in that post.

It will be competitive, it will be interesting, it will be a rollercoaster once again.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
stealth;1302937 said:
ya we are screwed cut him and move on, maybe brad johnson will be available, or even mark brunell...

your posting rights should be stripped away :p:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Romo struggles then we would have a hard time making it. However if he continues to learn and improve which most would expect from any player as they gain more experience and playing time then Romo could very well lead us back to the playoffs.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Struggles? He single handily brought the entire team back to respectability. He has much he can improve on and deserves the opportunity to lead this team. Give him an improved OL and a Defense that can actually keep the other team for scoring once in a while and Romo can take you to the big dance. I have no doubt about that!

StarAmongStars

Reaction score
I think the bigger issue surrounding Romo is can he recover from such a devestating play that may have very well defined his entire career....let's face it he's already a national joke and punchline.

Did anybody watch Jay Leno last night....his opening monolouge was a joke about Romo and he had a butterfinger candybar with Romo's face on it. :mad:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
StarAmongStars;1302962 said:
Did anybody watch Jay Leno last night....his opening monolouge was a joke about Romo and he had a butterfinger candybar with Romo's face on it. :mad:

Ouch. And I thought Leno wasnt funny anymore. Who knew.

StarAmongStars

Reaction score
Cowboys22;1302957 said:
Struggles? He single handily brought the entire team back to respectability. He has much he can improve on and deserves the opportunity to lead this team. Give him an improved OL and a Defense that can actually keep the other team for scoring once in a while and Romo can take you to the big dance. I have no doubt about that!

Yes struggles....finishing the season and playoffs 1-4 including 3 losses against playoff teams.

As for a better oline and defense....the same thing also could apply to Bledsoe or any QB on this team for that matter couldn't it???

We need to look past the QB, and even I recognize that.....this team has SERIOUS issues and it all starts with the front office and washed up fool leading coaching this team.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys22;1302957 said:

Agreed

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Cowboys22;1302957 said:
Struggles?

Yeah, like THE ENTIRE LAST SIX WEEKS.

If Romo continues to play like that, or settles in and plays somewhere in between his early and late season modes, Dallas will find difficulty in being a competitive team. Of course, the same is true of any QB. Not just Romo. Drafting a qb will do no good either, since they won't be able to step in and play for at least a season or two. (although I think taking a day 1 QB should be pretty high on the list of priorities)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Romo played very well for a first year starting QB. It's the rest of the team not making plays. When you have talent like Glenn, TO, Witten, and Jones not there not getting open within three seconds, you can't lay the blame on Romo. The blame is squarely on two parts of the offense. The offensive coordinator (which we don't have one) and the receiving crew. (those listed)

Sure, Romo made some mistakes, but nobody expected him to be perfect did they?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
StarAmongStars;1302962 said:
I think the bigger issue surrounding Romo is can he recover from such a devestating play that may have very well defined his entire career....let's face it he's already a national joke and punchline.

I have no doubt Romo will be able to put this behind him. There is no doubt he took it hard and frankly I would not want it any other way he should take it hard and I think any one of us would have taken it hard if we were in his shoes. I do think Romo will put this all into perspective and be ready to go when we hit training camp

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If by "Romo's struggles" you mean that our swiss cheese defense continues to play the way it has the last month, no, Dallas will be 8-8 or 9-7 yet again.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
All this Bledsoe talk will end soon enough...so, let little GarbageAmongStars type away with his little fingers until they bleed...

because the clock is ticking, and soon, this kid will not have anything else to cry about...the end is near, and we will not have to read anymore of this crap...

tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock

Type on, GarbageAmongStars...type on...
;)

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
StarAmongStars;1302930 said:
I know the obvious answer from a homer and Romo nuthugging standpoint is yes....but what if Romo's 15 minutes have ran it's course? What if it's all downhill from here? We do have a much more difficult schedule on paper next year and the book appears to out on Romo and his limited abilities.

But first let's look at the rest of the division:

Washington - Has found their apparent QB of the future in Jason Campbell, but bad drafting and personell decisions will probably haunt this team for at least the next few years but Campbell gives them a chance to do damage.

NYG - Eli Manning is a bust and with thier best player retiring it's not hard to imagine this team hitting rock bottom. Defense could possibly be worst than ours.

Philly - McNabb is still the man provided he's healthy, Andy Reid is the best coach in the division and they have the best defense in the division.

Quick Synopsis - Philly still owns the division and that should be the case the next few years, also if Jason Campbell is the real deal like I believe he is than we will be playing catch up to the Commanders.

Now evaluating our own deficiencies...it's easy to say we will suck if Romo's digression continues and he's not a legit franchise QB, but our problems go beyond just Romo:

Offensive line - still a major problem since the superbowl days and this needs to be the #1 priority this offseason. Bye bye Rivera, Flozell....Center also needs to be addressed. Amazing that a guy nobody expected anything from is a our best player: Columbo.

Secondary - RW is the most overrated player in the league, don't care how hard he hits because he can't cover anybody. FS is also a lingering issue since the days of Darren Woodson, and why this has not been adequately addresed mystifies me especially since we have had opportunitys to sign marquee free agents year after year and passed. Newman is the only good player we have and even he's starting to look like Dog Poo because Henry sucks and is a waste of roster space too. Why we didn't sign Charles Woodson, Dwight Smith, or Ty Law has left me dumbfounded. :banghead:

Pass Rush - We have a collection of defensive players that have talent, but don't fit our system. Ware is a good player, but he's not a gamechanger like Shawn Merriman or a true 3-4 linebacker. We parted ways with two young players (Fujita and Shanle) who were a great fit for our defense and have contributed to the Saints resurgence. Spears is a bust, and will Ellis career in limbo we need to get an impact player than knows how to get after the QB and wreak havoc!

The bottom line is we can't fix every problem with one swing of the bat so which QB will we see in 2007? The young, confident QB with moxie and potential? Or will Tony HOMO rear his ugly head and drag this team further into the abyss as we continue our decade long search to replace a legend?
your just hatin on romo cause your boy deadsloe got benched!

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Aikmaniac;1303014 said:
If by "Romo's struggles" you mean that our swiss cheese defense continues to play the way it has the last month, no, Dallas will be 8-8 or 9-7 yet again.

bingo.

if romo "struggles" the rest of our team plays good will have a better season than this one.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the defense struggles again like it did this year down the stretch than you will have the same problems again.

You can not expect a first year starter to put the whole team on his back and win.

IF that defense would have played well enough down the stretch we would not be having this conversation...you probably would not even be on the board right now as there would be nothing to complain about.