Can we discuss NFL defense

kskboys

Reaction score
Absolutely

Brady spent it too, by leaving an extra 5-10 mil per year of cap space to used to help him
Did the same in Tampa too

He normally had a solid (not great but always solid) line and a top 10 defense.
Rarely have multiple great receivers or top 5 RBs
Which shows that great WR's is not what wins super bowls.

When Brady was stacked at WR(07 super bowl), he lost to a defensive team. W/ a great DLine. The DLine is the great equalizer. Not CB's and WR's and RB's, DLines. And, for that matter, pounding RB's. It's telling that Belly put up w/ Blount, a known knucklehead and didn't like to block. Yet, Belly just kept signing him. Until he wanted to much, so he split for PITT. And woefully underperformed, so they cut him, and BLAM, back w/ NE for min. Dude won like 3-5 super bowls. He was w/ Philly in 17. He only did one thing, but that one thing, pounding the opposing OL, is a primary factor in winning super bowls.

TB does not win the super bowl last year if Brady doesn't take a lesser contract. Brady's lesser contract allowed TB to resign their studs, esp on D>

kskboys

Reaction score
That right there is all I really care about. I don't want to hear ANYTHING about the defense. The No. 1 offense only scores 17points. Blame anyone on offense/O staff you want but that's the only side of the ball that I want to blame. Can't no one on the side of the ball run from that trash performance they put out. NO ONE!
Not true. As usual, our D was gashed repeatedly by the run game. Until that's fixed, you can forget about winning playoff games.

Yes, our loss was mostly on the O, no argument there. However, don't be blinded by our crappy O so much that you don't see our D needs to be better also.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
To a crappy O team w/ a great D. That's not enough to win.

Plus, what you're not considering is that our O was dormant for 3 qtrs. Can't win like that. And we only got back in the game due to a crapptastic JimmyG throw anyway.

A run stopping D, and we beat SF. It's that simple.
You just said it yourself on your post. The O was dormant for 3 Quarters. The No. 1 O was dormant for 3 Quarters. If they continually score like they had been, SF can't run the ball can they? Then we can get after Jimmy G and get some separation. But our Offense are front runners. If they can't put a team behind in the first two quarters they struggle. The defense is built to play with a lead. And when you have (I'll say it again) the No. 1 scoring offense then not being a great run stopping defense isn't a big deal.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Not true. As usual, our D was gashed repeatedly by the run game. Until that's fixed, you can forget about winning playoff games.

Yes, our loss was mostly on the O, no argument there. However, don't be blinded by our crappy O so much that you don't see our D needs to be better also.
Our D needs a little work yes, but its built to play with a lead. The only thing I'll say is maybe get better on the interior and get a second LB but that's about it.

Adreme

Reaction score
Which shows that great WR's is not what wins super bowls.

When Brady was stacked at WR(07 super bowl), he lost to a defensive team. W/ a great DLine. The DLine is the great equalizer. Not CB's and WR's and RB's, DLines. And, for that matter, pounding RB's. It's telling that Belly put up w/ Blount, a known knucklehead and didn't like to block. Yet, Belly just kept signing him. Until he wanted to much, so he split for PITT. And woefully underperformed, so they cut him, and BLAM, back w/ NE for min. Dude won like 3-5 super bowls. He was w/ Philly in 17. He only did one thing, but that one thing, pounding the opposing OL, is a primary factor in winning super bowls.

TB does not win the super bowl last year if Brady doesn't take a lesser contract. Brady's lesser contract allowed TB to resign their studs, esp on D>

I mean the Patriots defensive strategy that has generally lead them to having one of the best scoring defenses in the NFL, thus allowing them to overachieve year in and year out, is to have 2 elite corners and a single big run stuffer in the middle of the DLine and then fill the rest of the defense with average players.

kskboys

Reaction score
You just said it yourself on your post. The O was dormant for 3 Quarters. The No. 1 O was dormant for 3 Quarters. If they continually score like they had been, SF can't run the ball can they? Then we can get after Jimmy G and get some separation. But our Offense are front runners. If they can't put a team behind in the first two quarters they struggle. The defense is built to play with a lead. And when you have (I'll say it again) the No. 1 scoring offense then not being a great run stopping defense isn't a big deal.
Yes, but O's often have problems in the playoffs. So, you absolutely must have a plan for when your O isn't working.

If this D is built only to play w/ a lead, then it is not a playoff D and we will continue to fail.

kskboys

Reaction score
I mean the Patriots defensive strategy that has generally lead them to having one of the best scoring defenses in the NFL, thus allowing them to overachieve year in and year out, is to have 2 elite corners and a single big run stuffer in the middle of the DLine and then fill the rest of the defense with average players.
2 big run stuffers. And one elite corner. And use draft picks and lower contract players.

I do agree w/ you in principle, BTW.

Oh, and don't forget CB's turned into S's. S's must be able to cover.

kskboys

Reaction score
Our D needs a little work yes, but its built to play with a lead. The only thing I'll say is maybe get better on the interior and get a second LB but that's about it.
If your D can only play w/ a lead, then your D sucks. You're quite simply going to have to play from behind come playoff time. If our D is that one dimensional, then it needs to be rebuilt differently.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
If your D can only play w/ a lead, then your D sucks. You're quite simply going to have to play from behind come playoff time. If our D is that one dimensional, then it needs to be rebuilt differently.
I wouldn't mind a re-tooling. Primarily on the line. Interior to me is where I want to see major improvement. Gregory is solid, not great. Dlaw is solid not great. Galimore is okay. Osa is okay.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Here are the top15 NFL defenses.

1 Buffalo Bills
2 New England Patriots
3 Denver Broncos
4 New Orleans Saints
5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
6 Tennessee Titans
7 Dallas Cowboys
8 Kansas City Chiefs
9 San Francisco 49ers
10 Indianapolis Colts
11 Arizona Cardinals
12 Seattle Seahawks
13 Green Bay Packers
14 Cleveland Browns
15 Los Angeles Rams

The 3 remaining defenses are nothing special. They aren’t way better than us. They’re all about the same. I don’t know what the Bengals are ranked but they don’t even show up in the top 15.

Can we just admit that this league isn’t built for defenses to be great and whatever you get from a defense is just a bonus.

Josh Allen lit the Chiefs up tonight and we didn’t even score a TD on those guys. That’s how far we are behind when it comes to competing against these type of teams.

So focus on defense all you want. Good luck getting through the playoffs and consistently stoping these top tier QBs.

If we want to win anything it needs to come from the offensive side of the ball. Anything the defense gives is a bonus.

Elite QBs win championships and defenses are just an accessory that you hope performs well.

It’s not the 90s and NFL rules are against teams playing defense.

OP said"If we want to win anything it needs to come from the offensive side of the ball. Anything the defense gives is a bonus". I suggest you check out my " Kelen Moore needs to go" thread

CWR

Reaction score
I'll give you credit for this. You are getting much more adept at disguising you Dak sucks threads. Nicely done.

Haimerej

Reaction score
To a crappy O team w/ a great D. That's not enough to win.

Plus, what you're not considering is that our O was dormant for 3 qtrs. Can't win like that. And we only got back in the game due to a crapptastic JimmyG throw anyway.

A run stopping D, and we beat SF. It's that simple.

The other way to beat SF is get ahead and make them have to pass.