Can we Find the Defensive Coaching Equivalent of Kellen Moore?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Then again, if Richard were to be allowed the amount of autonomy that Marinelli has enjoyed under HC Garrett — which DC Kris certainly did not have under hands-on-everything Pete Carroll in SEA — maybe he could be our guy?
umm KR already is the passing game coordinator(dbs and safetys arent laying that well) , hes asst DC and calls plays now in games..

so this is all on RM..right…….?

KR got FIRED at seatle because their D was slipping looked a lot like ours once players were leaving, hurt, or gone form the legion of boom that other DC before KR created...
so keep thinking hes special and being held back..

we do not even know If KM is special hes coached 3 games against losing teams..

the jury is out on all of them but the last few years.

rumor has it RM is close to retirement ANYWAY AND THATS WHY KR HAS BEEN TAKING ON MORE AND MORE OF THIS DEFENSE..

he has to take half the blame its his pass defense and play calling thats ALSO not playing well..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Rod Marinelli has enjoyed an illustrious career. Reality? He's old and due for retirement. Coach Richard has done some nice work with the DBs, though I am beyond frustrated with his stubborn insistence on Brown over Jourdan Lewis...and the lack of secondary turnovers.

Now look...this coaching duo could prove me wrong in the balance of the season. This post has nothing to do with changes within the next 13 weeks. We may be Super Bowl bound. We might win it all. If that happens...make Richard DC gawd.

If not...Could be time for changes. A new defensive DC...An innovator. Some real changes. What would a defensive equivalent of Kellen Moore look like? I don't think such a guy is inside the organization.

Jerry might ought to give $10 mil for the Bears, Bills, or Ravens DC. That money aint' capped.

He's already coaching for us.

Kris Richard.

One more season...

DuncanIso

Reaction score
umm KR already is the passing game coordinator(dbs and safetys arent laying that well) , hes asst DC and calls plays now in games..

so this is all on RM..right…….?

KR got FIRED at seatle because their D was slipping looked a lot like ours once players were leaving, hurt, or gone form the legion of boom that other DC before KR created...
so keep thinking hes special and being held back..

we do not even know If KM is special hes coached 3 games against losing teams..

the jury is out on all of them but the last few years.

rumor has it RM is close to retirement ANYWAY AND THATS WHY KR HAS BEEN TAKING ON MORE AND MORE OF THIS DEFENSE..

he has to take half the blame its his pass defense and play calling thats ALSO not playing well..

Kris Richard Hate?!?!

His record at Seattle was impressive.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RichKr0.htm#all_coaching_history

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the point that the Cowboys were just a hairline away from trading for Earl Thomas, may have been an indication that the Cowboys were going to try to see if they could make that
duo of Thomas/Xavier work, and since the Cowboys given the impression that they see the safeties as interchangeable rather than FS vs SS prototype, requiring both safeties to be able to play in the box, or single high.

I could see what you mean in that Xavier has to be the smallest "listed ' 200 pounds I have ever seen in an NFL safety and physically I dunno about the physical pounding he could take with that frame in constant support, but the bigger picture is getting two of their best safeties on the field starting at the same time. ( if they had acquired Earl Thomas)

I'm not clear on how close the Cowboys actually got to trading for Earl Thomas. The Joneses tend to talk a lot but neither of them ever confirmed the trade rumors back during the 2018 draft. They did say they were interested in ET this year as a free agent cut they never appeared to be close to matching his price.

The appeal of Earl Thomas in 2018 was that it was the 1st year of the Kris Richard scheme in Dallas and ET would be the field general while implementing that scheme.

I think their interest was much lower in 2019 because they already had 1 year in the KR coverage scheme AND they were content with Woods at FS.

If ET had come to the Cowboys in 2018, I think they would have mixed in both Woods and Heath at SS.

I wound not describe the Cowboys Safeties as interchangeable per se.

They sometimes move Woods down when they expect a pass and want to use the CB type skills of Woods to match up on specific players.

That works out because Heath is really better at FS than at SS anyway.

If they had a prototype modern NFL Strong Safety, then I don't know if they would ever flip them but most teams don't have type type of SS (Derwin James when healthy).
The other option instead of flipping Safeties is to have 2 Strong Safeties with 1 more of a pass defender and 1 more of a run defender. They did that in the last several games of 2017 (before Kris Richard was here) with Kavon Frazier playing when the Cowboys expected run.

Side Note: Based on draft measurements X.Woods was about the same size as Earl Thomas. Similar Height but ET did weigh about 8 pounds more. I would guess that their NFL playing weight is similar with both likely around 205 pounds and not less than 200.

Donovan Wilson played zero snaps on defense and only 10 on special teams. I'm not certain if he is 100% healthy yet, but I had hoped to see him play a few snaps against Miami (Thompson played 100% of the defensive snaps and Heath played 89% with Frazier playing about 8 snaps on defense).

I hope the team is ready this week because Bridgewater is better than most backup QBs from what I've seen.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The DL play is holding this team back right now. Tank is under performing, but between Tank and Quinn we should be above average at DE. Our DT play is the elephant in the room. Marinelli needs to be put out to pasture.

But he's old and yells a lot! He good!

Also, how illustrious is his career exactly? He was apart of the Super Bowl team with Tampa in 2002. That is nearing 2 decades ago. What has he done since then? Illustrious career means more than a few good seasons. I mean he head coached an 0-16 Lions team. He had 2 great years out of how many? He was DL coach in Tampa 2002 and Chicago 2010. Both teams got to the NFC title game and one won the Super Bowl. Outside of those 2 years, it hasn't been that good.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They hire former coaches, players and scouts. You clearly don't have the first clue about their hiring process.

That is what they would like for you to believe.

Even if they have a few experienced people, it would take a massive amount of manpower to grade 53,000 snaps in less than 24 hours if they spend enough time per snap to have any chance at getting an accurate result. Even just 1 minute per snaps on average is 53,00 minutes and many plays really require more than a minute to rewind an review enough to have an educated guess at the players assignment responsibilities.

T-RO

Reaction score
Here is my early, casual and lazy ranking of likely-playoff defenses.

Pats
Bears
Bills
Rams
Ravens
Packers
49ers
Texans
Vikings
Cowboys
Saints
Seahawks
Chiefs
Eagles

Not sure this D can carry us to a title. Esp. NFC Title game and Super Bowl.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It’s sacks, ints
We need stats
Results don’t matter
We want stats
If you aren’t getting turnovers or sacks then your defense is bad
We want our stats dang it

Any defense that can't pressure the QB doesn't get many sacks at all. Any defense that has a secondary that has no idea how to make plays on the ball aren't going to get many picks. We still don't have one. We have went stretches of 8 games without one. You don't think sacks, pressure and interceptions are important? Lol. Bend but don't break does no favors for the offense. It allows the opponent to drive the field and even if you force a punt, our offense will be starting deep in their territory.

Giants with Eli, Commanders and Miami are 3 of the worst offenses in football. And this defense has forced 2 measly turnovers. One being a fumble recovery on a sack on 4th down deep in our own end when the game was already over with. Meant zero. The other was a fumble recovery inside our own 10 against Miami. This one was more important as it did stop Miami from scoring right before half. We got zero picks against the likes of Eli, Rosen and Keenum. That's pathetic.

You can poo poo sacks and turnovers but they are huge momentum shifters. Defense is the reason we always fail in the divisional round.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
he was fired. was he not? he inherited a LOB..as it broke down and he was left with his calls and players, not as great..not hate FACT

The defensive rankings for Seattle during his 3 years as DC are impressive.

Better than ours.

Just because he left the Hawks doesn't mean he can't coach.

Rod Marinelli was 0-16 at Detroit as HC.

I suggest watching Richard at practice or at training camp. You'll change your mind about him.

He's a great coach.

Reactions: BAT

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Here is my early, casual and lazy ranking of likely-playoff defenses.

Pats
Bears
Bills
Rams
Ravens
Packers
49ers
Texans
Vikings
Cowboys
Saints
Seahawks
Chiefs
Eagles

Not sure this D can carry us to a title. Esp. NFC Title game and Super Bowl.

We don't even need our defense to be really good. Just average. Just give us average and we can do it with this offense. This defense is nowhere close to even average when crunch time comes in the playoffs. They shrivel up.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The defensive rankings for Seattle during his 3 years as DC are impressive.

Better than ours.

Just because he left the Hawks doesn't mean he can't coach.

Rod Marinelli was 0-16 at Detroit as HC.

I suggest watching Richard at practice or at training camp. You'll change your mind about him.

He's a great coach.
FIRED by his old ball coach Pete.. why? something happened? find the story it was a drop off year 1-3 and he was let go..

all im saying is STOP passing lal the blame on RM, we see KR has his hands all over this defense and its not been great in big games..and barely good against the poor ones..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We don't even need our defense to be really good. Just average. Just give us average and we can do it with this offense. This defense is nowhere close to even average when crunch time comes in the playoffs. They shrivel up.

We play a BBDB scheme.

It's average in total yards right now.

Ranked 15th.

We'll have to see how we do vs the elite QB's.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We have 2 coaches on D that I consider in the Kellen Moore category. Ben Bloom and Kris Richard. We all pretty much know Kris' track record..but I been hearing about how good Ben Bloom is with the defense for a while now. Bloom will get a chance to be D coord. for somebody soon. Maybe its Dallas if Richard is made HC next year. We may have the best coaches in the league..

T-RO

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

LOL. Guess what? That applicant didn't get the job!

Do you know how many former college quarterbacks there are in this country? How many wicked smart former college o-linemen? How many former coaches? It's a dream gig for lots of folks. Paid to watch football?! PFF can accept one out of 200 applicants.

I know they turned you down so are miffed, but your gonna need to get over it.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
FIRED by his old ball coach Pete.. why? something happened? find the story it was a drop off year 1-3 and he was let go..

all im saying is STOP passing lal the blame on RM, we see KR has his hands all over this defense and its not been great in big games..and barely good against the poor ones..
Richard isn't GOD...hes a good coach, beloved by all his players. Hes not the issue with the D. Granny Marinelli is good, but sometimes his unwillingness to make timely adjustments hurts us.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Richard isn't GOD...hes a good coach, beloved by all his players. Hes not the issue with the D. Granny Marinelli is good, but sometimes his unwillingness to make timely adjustments hurts us.
KR calls the plays game day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hes the passing Coordinator and *** DC..id say hes got his hands all over this and RM can only 50% responsible..

DuncanIso

Reaction score

KR has done an excellent job with the secondary. He is the passing game coord.

But Marinelli is in charge of the DC. We are still playing his beloved BBDB scheme.

Its the same defense that Monti and Marinelli brought here in 2013.

Spend some time researching these two guys. Monti and Marinelli are tampa -2 / cover -2 / BBDB guru's.

BTW, that 2013 defense that Monti sold us was terrible. The worst defense in Dallas history. Who knew.