Can we get out of the damn shotgun?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
There is nothing we can do to get 2016 Zeke back. We all wish we could get a time machine and make it a reality but it is no longer possible. He has regressed to the point where a throw to him is a negative play and a rush attempt is 5 yards at best.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
When you go back and look at Zeke's highlights from early in his career they are almost all out of the deep back set. He attacks the line of scrimmage downhill and when there is a crease he sees it, puts a foot in the ground and attacks it. Even if there is a defender there to put a hand on him it doesn't even slow that beast down because he has serious forward momentum. FF to since Moore has taken over and easily 70-80% of our runs are out of shotgun.. So now the backs are nearly always waiting for the QB to bring them the ball and standing still .. It's absolute lunacy.. Especially given the leakage that our o-line seems to allow on nearly every run. Having the back standing next to the QB takes away vision and leverage against the defense. Great if you're Barry Sanders.. but for a downhill runner like Zeke it's just a mismatch. I can't stand watching him stand there waiting to be given the ball and have to fight off a free defender almost instantly. Ironically Pollard IS more of the jitterbug type back but even he is not equipped to have consistent success if there are defenders helping him take the handoff. This is going to be a looooonnnnnnng year.

Prescott is not able to play under center.
Wasnt in college and never learned it in the NFL.

Lets see how we approach it with Rush now.

Flamma

Reaction score
When you go back and look at Zeke's highlights from early in his career they are almost all out of the deep back set. He attacks the line of scrimmage downhill and when there is a crease he sees it, puts a foot in the ground and attacks it. Even if there is a defender there to put a hand on him it doesn't even slow that beast down because he has serious forward momentum. FF to since Moore has taken over and easily 70-80% of our runs are out of shotgun.. So now the backs are nearly always waiting for the QB to bring them the ball and standing still .. It's absolute lunacy.. Especially given the leakage that our o-line seems to allow on nearly every run. Having the back standing next to the QB takes away vision and leverage against the defense. Great if you're Barry Sanders.. but for a downhill runner like Zeke it's just a mismatch. I can't stand watching him stand there waiting to be given the ball and have to fight off a free defender almost instantly. Ironically Pollard IS more of the jitterbug type back but even he is not equipped to have consistent success if there are defenders helping him take the handoff. This is going to be a looooonnnnnnng year.

I agree with you. The problem is Dallas runs very few pass plays from under center. I would think you'd need a few of them so they don't know that it's a run play every time Dak is under center.

Ken

Reaction score
Prescott is not able to play under center.
Wasnt in college and never learned it in the NFL.

Lets see how we approach it with Rush now.
Go read the thread.

Increase your magnesium intake and maybe your cap will harden.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Go read the thread.

Increase your magnesium intake and maybe your cap will harden.

Could you read it for me and send me the podcast via PM please ?
I am also low on Calcium and Vitamin D.

Ken

Reaction score
Could you read it for me and send me the podcast via PM please ?
I am also low on Calcium and Vitamin D.
Normally people are low in magnesium, there is calcium in everything. Magnesium is need to utilize calcium. Never take extra calcium...i don't want you to get stones. Get out in the sun for your D3.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Normally people are low in magnesium, there is calcium in everything. Get out in the sun for your D3.

Thanks for the advice.
Dont forget the podcast.

Hows Barbie doin btw ?

75boyz

Reaction score
Herbert
Stafford
Mahommes
Brady
Allen
Rodgers

So there's that. Also, we're talking about this team, and this team is set up to run the football. We have gotten away from what we built this team to do. Ground and pound, keep the defense fresh. Make play action more effective (thus Dak more effective https://atozsports.com/dallas/cowboys-qb-dak-prescotts-most-successful-play-types/)

Fans of Prescott should be screaming for this to be how we run our offense.

It's his only hope. The 2016 version of him with that dominant run game/oline or the tandem copycat model from last year's first 6 or 7 game success.

THAT is his skillset. Leaning on heavy effective runs, keeping down and distance manageable and in particular third downs and then capitalizing on timely play action when the defense shows their hand by cheating up to the LOS.
That's it.

If SleepNumber ain't running the above mentioned type offense he's gonna get exposed. And he already has.

He's NOT a high volume drop back pocket passer who can beat you with consistently accurate stick throws. He's not some precision timing based naturally gifted thrower.

He never will be.

Get back to the basics of carrying him with the run game and hopefully his overpaid a** won't be too gun shy or inaccurate to make the throws needed to keep the chains moving.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant man, lol.

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
Dude stop.. Dak is one of the best in the league off play-action.. Please don't come in my thread spewing blatant false crap just because you hate Dak. Get some help for that problem and let grown folks talk about football.

LOL, stop it already “dude”
Dak hardly ever does play action from under center. The reason is that he can’t read a defense to save his life and is easily confused and has no idea what to do if he turns his back. His “play action” is mostly from shotgun

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The guy should delete the article bc it is just horrific.

So if you don’t like the message, kill the messenger?

You should apply for a front office job and work with Jerry and Stephen. Your approach to dealing with issues and reality would fit right in

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Reads thread. Looks up Zeke's stats. Notices 5.2 ypc. Shakes head, bows out of thread.

Ken

Reaction score
So if you don’t like the message, kill the messenger?

You should apply for a front office job and work with Jerry and Stephen. Your approach to dealing with issues and reality would fit right in
Ya, we should hold with the same weight an article from 3 years ago. It was wrong then and it is even more wrong now.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Likely you get your wish with Rush as QB. Much more of a standard drop back QB. As has often been the case around here, we may get a better offense called for the backup.

Should be lots of play action, quicker reads, and maybe they bring back more counter motion in the backfield with Pollard, while Zeke takes the downhill carries.

But I think you're wrong about the oline. We're a good runblocking team, and that held up even with the injuries. Should get better with Peterson on the field too.

plymkr

Reaction score
It's not really the depth of the handoff that kills us it's the play design that has them take the ball pretty much standing still .. or with maybe a one step startup. It doesn't really suit either Zeke or Pollard's style but it suits Pollard better. When you have the QB under center he can influence the flow of the defense because typically he will open up on side, show the ball, then hand it to the back going the other way. The defense, specifically the linebackers have to honor it when the QB opens up and shows the ball left.. then when the back gets it going right they're momentum is against them. Same with defensive linemen. If the offensive line can prevent penetration the back will be able to attack them downhill as well. Of course we know defenses often have called slants and stunts but even in the context of those, "go to the ball" is their #1 priority. Having the guy getting the ball be a stationary target for them is just plain stoopid.
Well said. There's a difference between being handed the ball and then starting to run as opposed to running with momentum to the LOS and having the ball handed to you in stride. The shotgun makes the play develop slowly which helps the defense. So frustrating to watch.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Likely you get your wish with Rush as QB. Much more of a standard drop back QB. As has often been the case around here, we may get a better offense called for the backup.

Should be lots of play action, quicker reads, and maybe they bring back more counter motion in the backfield with Pollard, while Zeke takes the downhill carries.

But I think you're wrong about the oline. We're a good runblocking team, and that held up even with the injuries. Should get better with Peterson on the field too.

This is a very sad truth. They will call a much smarter and more conservative game for Rush than they would with Dak. They will attempt to lean on the run and not panic and go away from it the first time it fails to gain 10 yards a carry. It's a game plan that could win 90% our games with Dak because he also carries with him the threat of hanging 500 yards on you if you overcommit to the run. We have this wonderful balanced offense in our back pocket.. but we only take it out for the backup.. And yes the line showed itself to be a pretty good run blocking unit on Sunday. You just have to wonder if the coaches took note and bring that knowledge to the game. I hope McCarthy has been pounding the table "run the damn ball, Kellen" all week and continues during the game. Of course, Moore will get mad and get even by making every run the delay handoff up the middle and then look at McCarthy like "See told you it doesn't work!" when it gets blown up repeatedly. Oh my lord.. just kill me now..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The key to your Zeke diatribe was the word...........EARLY.

Its now LATE in his career. That EARLY Zeke no longer exists. And he no longer has the best Oline in football to make him look better than he really is.

I would categorize Zeke as an UPHILL runner at this point in his career.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Ya, we should hold with the same weight an article from 3 years ago. It was wrong then and it is even more wrong now.

How is it “wrong then” exactly? And “even more wrong” now? The article is simply pointing out tendencies that Dak and Kellen have when taking snaps under center vs shotgun.

Did you even bother to actually read it? Lol

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Also— you asked “where the narrative” came from— so posting an article from 3 years ago merely confirms that this criticism of Dak’s game is nothing new.

Last edited:

GINeric

Reaction score
Yall gotta forward this to Kellen

or Forward it to Mike and tell him to make Kellen do this...since its the HC job to control the OC

Kinda cant have an assistant manager doing whatever he wants when you have a general manager

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again.... Moore is the dumbest offensive coordinator in the league. He stop doing the things thats working and keep forcing the BS plays that AREN'T working.

We have a running back who's hittin for 5 or 6 yards a pop, then you stop running the damn ball??? Totally DUMB!!! Smart coordinators would run the ball until the defensive players are gasping for air. If it aint broke, dont fix it....