Can we get out of the damn shotgun?

buddahjoe445

Reaction score
It's his only hope. The 2016 version of him with that dominant run game/oline or the tandem copycat model from last year's first 6 or 7 game success.

THAT is his skillset. Leaning on heavy effective runs, keeping down and distance manageable and in particular third downs and then capitalizing on timely play action when the defense shows their hand by cheating up to the LOS.
That's it.

If SleepNumber ain't running the above mentioned type offense he's gonna get exposed. And he already has.

He's NOT a high volume drop back pocket passer who can beat you with consistently accurate stick throws. He's not some precision timing based naturally gifted thrower.

He never will be.

Get back to the basics of carrying him with the run game and hopefully his overpaid a** won't be too gun shy or inaccurate to make the throws needed to keep the chains moving.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant man, lol.
You just described the bottom 10 QBs. Seems a lot like Tua or Sam Darnold.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Kellen Moore isn't the problem......It's that fat *** RB that can't run anymore. He's been done for 3 years. But go ahead...blame Kellen.....because it makes you look stupid.

:popcorn:

Haimerej

Reaction score
The premise he's incapable is my hang up. We need coaches to coach it first.

Then there is the idea we signed this dude for 160 million knowing he can't take a snap from under center. Jerry is dumb, but is he that dumb?

Lately, I can't even answer that.

The whole damn experiment is riddled with suck variables that make it impossible to decipher. KM, Philbin, and MM are next level trash.

I've never said he can't, but he doesn't. I know back in the day that many young QBs struggled with the footwork. That's why QBs would get a boost in draft status if they ran a, "pro style," offense. I doubt Moore ever did it at Boise State, for example. People underestimate how much it helps the running game being able to throw from under center. It keeps the defense honest and can create 1 on 1s or other mismatches in the passing game if done correctly.

Walsh said what made Montana great was his footwork. Said he was like a ballerina. Those drops are designed to work with certain route trees so that the ball comes out after that back foot is planted. When done right it's a thing of beauty.

Carson

Reaction score
Kellen Moore isn't the problem......It's that fat *** RB that can't run anymore. He's been done for 3 years. But go ahead...blame Kellen.....because it makes you look stupid.

:popcorn:
He went 10 for 52. He would go over 100 with another 10 touches.

He’s slowed down, Moore’s playcalling isn’t great but the penalties.are the Achilles

CWR

Reaction score
I've never said he can't, but he doesn't. I know back in the day that many young QBs struggled with the footwork. That's why QBs would get a boost in draft status if they ran a, "pro style," offense. I doubt Moore ever did it at Boise State, for example. People underestimate how much it helps the running game being able to throw from under center. It keeps the defense honest and can create 1 on 1s or other mismatches in the passing game if done correctly.

Walsh said what made Montana great was his footwork. Said he was like a ballerina. Those drops are designed to work with certain route trees so that the ball comes out after that back foot is planted. When done right it's a thing of beauty.

Remember when we brought MM in and he was sold as some type of qb whisperer? Lol good times. He is a terrific example of someone who showed up right time, right place, and rode coattails like a champion.

CWR

Reaction score
He went 10 for 52. He would go over 100 with another 10 touches.

He’s slowed down, Moore’s playcalling isn’t great but the penalties.are the Achilles

When he post just remember all he is actually saying is: Boise State, Boise State, Boise State, Boise State, durrrrrrr

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
When you go back and look at Zeke's highlights from early in his career they are almost all out of the deep back set. He attacks the line of scrimmage downhill and when there is a crease he sees it, puts a foot in the ground and attacks it. Even if there is a defender there to put a hand on him it doesn't even slow that beast down because he has serious forward momentum. FF to since Moore has taken over and easily 70-80% of our runs are out of shotgun.. So now the backs are nearly always waiting for the QB to bring them the ball and standing still .. It's absolute lunacy.. Especially given the leakage that our o-line seems to allow on nearly every run. Having the back standing next to the QB takes away vision and leverage against the defense. Great if you're Barry Sanders.. but for a downhill runner like Zeke it's just a mismatch. I can't stand watching him stand there waiting to be given the ball and have to fight off a free defender almost instantly. Ironically Pollard IS more of the jitterbug type back but even he is not equipped to have consistent success if there are defenders helping him take the handoff. This is going to be a looooonnnnnnng year.

Great point.... . the shotgun is not conducive to the Dallas run game. More times than not, they shoot themselves in the foot. Should be called the Barney Fife offense. GET RID OF IT.......

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
When he post just remember all he is actually saying is: Boise State, Boise State, Boise State, Boise State, durrrrrrr

Actually.....I don't like the direction the team has taken under Andy Avalos. It's not the same since Moore and Peterson left.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Great point.... . the shotgun is not conducive to the Dallas run game. More times than not, they shoot themselves in the foot. Should be called the Barney Fife offense. GET RID OF IT.......

Yes....let's see Dak with a bad ankle take 5 and 7 step drops.:facepalm:

Some people just don't understand the reasoning behind the offense.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Yes....let's see Dak with a bad ankle take 5 and 7 step drops.:facepalm:

Some people just don't understand the reasoning behind the offense.

LOL, some offense. 3 freaking points. Yeah, let's leave it alone. Depend on the defense getting a shutout.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sorry, the number i have been posting is the pass attempts. Only from Hurts in this instance...more because i believe Minshew played a game as well.
Yeah, I don't know the number of times we hand off out of shotgun, let alone the rate at what other teams do. It just seems that it's the majority of our runs come out of shotgun, which I feel is detrimental to the effectiveness of our running game. It's that whole square peg in a round hole thing I've been talking about.

75boyz

Reaction score

Yep, huge emphasis with Norv and his coaching of Aikman's feet.
Dak's fundamental footwork is a disaster.

While Mahommes and Rodgers can get away with it because of sheer arm strength/talent, Dak looks awkward and his behind by a mile or overhead throws reflect his poor fundamentals constantly.

But then again even when his feet are set he often throws floaters and one hoppers.
So there's that too I guess, lol.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
When you go back and look at Zeke's highlights from early in his career they are almost all out of the deep back set. He attacks the line of scrimmage downhill and when there is a crease he sees it, puts a foot in the ground and attacks it. Even if there is a defender there to put a hand on him it doesn't even slow that beast down because he has serious forward momentum. FF to since Moore has taken over and easily 70-80% of our runs are out of shotgun.. So now the backs are nearly always waiting for the QB to bring them the ball and standing still .. It's absolute lunacy.. Especially given the leakage that our o-line seems to allow on nearly every run. Having the back standing next to the QB takes away vision and leverage against the defense. Great if you're Barry Sanders.. but for a downhill runner like Zeke it's just a mismatch. I can't stand watching him stand there waiting to be given the ball and have to fight off a free defender almost instantly. Ironically Pollard IS more of the jitterbug type back but even he is not equipped to have consistent success if there are defenders helping him take the handoff. This is going to be a looooonnnnnnng year.
Moore shows zero interest in the running game. Exactly like Garrett. So no they won’t change.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I have not seen it mentioned.. but I'm sure folks noticed that we ran way more out of deep back set with Rush under center this week.. and whaddaya know.. the ground game was far more effective. Except for that little quick toss to the short side which hovers in between a pass and a run.. We ran it 5 times by my count and blocked it once, on the play where Pollard almost scored. On the rest the playside DE completely blew it up and we lost yards. So realistically the play was run 5 times for like 40 yards.. so 8 yards a clip.. Except it was really not nearly as successful as those numbers would indicate.. Which is why just looking at ypc is just plain dumb.. One huge play in no way makes up for the other 4 turds.