Can we get out of the damn shotgun?

CoachD

Reaction score
No everyone needs it, but what I would like to see is more of a fullback presence in the backfield.

The Natural

Reaction score
I get the logic but its not the same offensive line from early on in Zeke’s career. If we go with the traditional set, teams are just going to load up the box. Not saying they should never run from under center but shotgun does keep the defense honest at the second level

fivetwos

Reaction score
Moore is too attached to Garret's old offense.
I was soooo disappointed that Mac did not install his offense,
still am...
Which tells you he is here for the 30 million, and that he knew saying he wanted Moore was what needed to do to get it.

This current situation is a pure joke.

McCarthy is collecting money and Jerry only pays it because he can't get away with standing on the sidelines himself while Moore and Quinn run the units.

Also because he thought McCarthy has some magical words of wisdom to talk a team to a Super Bowl.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Which tells you he is here for the 30 million, and that he knew saying he wanted Moore was what needed to do to get it.

This current situation is a pure joke.

McCarthy is collecting money and Jerry only pays it because he can't get away with standing on the sidelines himself while Moore and Quinn run the units.

Also because he thought McCarthy has some magical words of wisdom to talk a team to a Super Bowl.
What a Dumpster Fire !
This is all getting exposed.
That's a good thing.
Let the Fans see how dysfunctional this whole thing has become.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
When you go back and look at Zeke's highlights from early in his career they are almost all out of the deep back set. He attacks the line of scrimmage downhill and when there is a crease he sees it, puts a foot in the ground and attacks it. Even if there is a defender there to put a hand on him it doesn't even slow that beast down because he has serious forward momentum. FF to since Moore has taken over and easily 70-80% of our runs are out of shotgun.. So now the backs are nearly always waiting for the QB to bring them the ball and standing still .. It's absolute lunacy.. Especially given the leakage that our o-line seems to allow on nearly every run. Having the back standing next to the QB takes away vision and leverage against the defense. Great if you're Barry Sanders.. but for a downhill runner like Zeke it's just a mismatch. I can't stand watching him stand there waiting to be given the ball and have to fight off a free defender almost instantly. Ironically Pollard IS more of the jitterbug type back but even he is not equipped to have consistent success if there are defenders helping him take the handoff. This is going to be a looooonnnnnnng year.

100% brother.

One key issue is that Dak is not effective taking snaps under center. In order to run effectively, the threat of the pass has to be there— and Dak simply struggles to take the snap, drop back, read the D, and deliver the ball consistently.

So when Dak goes under center, the tendencies scream run and the D knows what we are doing.

This offense is simply too limited by Kellen Moore and what Dak has needed is an OC that pushes him to expand his game, not enable him to stay within what is “comfortable” for him.

Ken

Reaction score
100% brother.

One key issue is that Dak is not effective taking snaps under center. In order to run effectively, the threat of the pass has to be there— and Dak simply struggles to take the snap, drop back, read the D, and deliver the ball consistently.

So when Dak goes under center, the tendencies scream run and the D knows what we are doing.

This offense is simply too limited by Kellen Moore and what Dak has needed is an OC that pushes him to expand his game, not enable him to stay within what is “comfortable” for him.
Where does this horrible narrative come from?

114 rating under center last year.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree with you but unfortunately, this us how the whole NFL operates now.

Just quickly looked up last year....we operated out of the Gun 476 times.

San Diego was 510.
Rams 473
KC 585
TB 578
Buffalo 556
GB 410
Herbert
Stafford
Mahommes
Brady
Allen
Rodgers

So there's that. Also, we're talking about this team, and this team is set up to run the football. We have gotten away from what we built this team to do. Ground and pound, keep the defense fresh. Make play action more effective (thus Dak more effective https://atozsports.com/dallas/cowboys-qb-dak-prescotts-most-successful-play-types/)

Fans of Prescott should be screaming for this to be how we run our offense.

Ken

Reaction score
Herbert
Stafford
Mahommes
Brady
Allen
Rodgers

So there's that. Also, we're talking about this team, and this team is set up to run the football. We have gotten away from what we built this team to do. Ground and pound, keep the defense fresh. Make play action more effective (thus Dak more effective https://atozsports.com/dallas/cowboys-qb-dak-prescotts-most-successful-play-types/)

Fans of Prescott should be screaming for this to be how we run our offense.
Oh, those are the qbs? I had no idea.

I understand how we are setup and i already said i disagree with our and everyone's offensive approach in the NFL.

Everyone basically runs a run and shoot now. Whoever goes against that grain and grounds and pounds it with a great defense will be very successful.

Satchel89

Reaction score
When you go back and look at Zeke's highlights from early in his career they are almost all out of the deep back set. He attacks the line of scrimmage downhill and when there is a crease he sees it, puts a foot in the ground and attacks it. Even if there is a defender there to put a hand on him it doesn't even slow that beast down because he has serious forward momentum. FF to since Moore has taken over and easily 70-80% of our runs are out of shotgun.. So now the backs are nearly always waiting for the QB to bring them the ball and standing still .. It's absolute lunacy.. Especially given the leakage that our o-line seems to allow on nearly every run. Having the back standing next to the QB takes away vision and leverage against the defense. Great if you're Barry Sanders.. but for a downhill runner like Zeke it's just a mismatch. I can't stand watching him stand there waiting to be given the ball and have to fight off a free defender almost instantly. Ironically Pollard IS more of the jitterbug type back but even he is not equipped to have consistent success if there are defenders helping him take the handoff. This is going to be a looooonnnnnnng year.
I'm with ya....Bring back Ralston. Don't know if that fixes anything but I sure would have loved to seen him at Fullback

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Glad we are bringing this up again. This offense (even with Dak) will not be successful without a stout running game. Their lack of reps for the backs and the primary formation they run from are a death knell to any positive momentum.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We’re in shotgun because your hero Dak can’t read a defense after play action

Dude stop.. Dak is one of the best in the league off play-action.. Please don't come in my thread spewing blatant false crap just because you hate Dak. Get some help for that problem and let grown folks talk about football.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Going to blow up this fallacy once and for all...

Dak rating under center was 114.

For his career it is 105, the highest of any type of play.

This fact has been known for years yet these softheads keep running with the "Dak can't read defenses under center" narrative because they heard some talking head mediot say it. Your posting this won't change any of their minds.. I mean how would it look if they let the facts get in the way of a good narrative.

Reactions: Ken

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm with ya....Bring back Ralston. Don't know if that fixes anything but I sure would have loved to seen him at Fullback

Yeah how many times does the line block all the up front guys but the inside backer shoots through the gap and disrupts the play. Maybe send a 255 pound hammer at his arse and put a stop to all that.. But again.. that's way more commitment to the run than Kellen Moore is interested in. They told us that when they stopped even bothering to keep a fullback on the roster.

links18

Reaction score
I don't know if we can get out of the shotgun, but we could get out the shotgun. Wink.

:muttley: