Can we learn from the Packers and Chiefs?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both teams just had to let go of their mega star wide receiver. With that said, the amount of money they wanted, the teams allowed the players to be traded, instead of giving out that big paycheck.

It saddens me to think what would Dallas do in this situation. I think at times Jerry can be a bit too loyal to his players, and it's not thinking with his brain for the future.

Sounds kind of backwards to say, at this time we're mad that he's not spending money, but in this sense these players want to set the market or come close. Sometimes you just have to say no, or El Paso!! If not your fan base in a few years will possibly complain that we overpaid for a player!! Please give your thoughts...

I've said several times now, that this is the new trend in the NFL, and what the smart teams are doing. The fact is that wide receiver is the most abundant position in the draft every year. And the smart teams like Green Bay and Kansas City realize this. And they also know that when you pay huge money for your quarterback - as they both do - you can't afford to pay top of the market for his receivers as well. The quarterback has to 'lift up' the level of play of his receivers. Aaron Rodgers has been doing that for years, as Brett Favre did before him. There's a long list of 'good' receivers that they've helped to become 'great' receivers.

Not only did both of these teams NOT set the wide receiver market in salary, but they received top draft picks to replace the players they traded away. And now have yet another draft stocked with receivers in order to replace them. It's the simple rule of supply and demand. When demand outstrips supply, the commodity becomes more valuable, as with quarterbacks. But when there's plenty of supply, the demand and value drop. The smart teams can read the tea leaves.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can, but I doubt we will.

We typically make the mistakes, we don't usually learn quickly.

It was easy to see that the pass rushing market was headed for a huge boost in cost, but we waited until AFTER Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack reset the market to overpay Lawrence.

We rushed to pay a linebacker early in Jaylon Smith. And he now costs more on our 2022 cap than Bobby Wagner is costing the Rams to actually play for them.

We rushed to pay a running back in Zeke Elliott EARLY, AFTER we saw the mistakes that other teams made giving second contracts to guys like LeVeon Bell and Todd Gurley.

And then we waited and waited until the quarterback market exploded to finally reach a deal with Dak Prescott.

If there's a Book of Wrong' when it comes to contract negotiations, Stephen Jones wrote it.

Motorola

Reaction score
We typically make the mistakes, we don't usually learn quickly.

It was easy to see that the pass rushing market was headed for a huge boost in cost, but we waited until AFTER Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack reset the market to overpay Lawrence.

We rushed to pay a linebacker early in Jaylon Smith. And he now costs more on our 2022 cap than Bobby Wagner is costing the Rams to actually play for them.

We rushed to pay a running back in Zeke Elliott EARLY, AFTER we saw the mistakes that other teams made giving second contracts to guys like LeVeon Bell and Todd Gurley.

And then we waited and waited until the quarterback market exploded to finally reach a deal with Dak Prescott.

If there's a Book of Wrong' when it comes to contract negotiations, Stephen Jones wrote it.
Well stated.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Both teams just had to let go of their mega star wide receiver. With that said, the amount of money they wanted, the teams allowed the players to be traded, instead of giving out that big paycheck.

It saddens me to think what would Dallas do in this situation. I think at times Jerry can be a bit too loyal to his players, and it's not thinking with his brain for the future.

Sounds kind of backwards to say, at this time we're mad that he's not spending money, but in this sense these players want to set the market or come close. Sometimes you just have to say no, or El Paso!! If not your fan base in a few years will possibly complain that we overpaid for a player!! Please give your thoughts...
Relly this place was flat upset we let ac go to save 16+ mil to help our team and got a few low picks, he wasnt even our top wr last year.

.i mean it was the right move, yet thats what you are asking, what about the other teams that took them and paid them outrageous record setting WR money??. Learn what?

which team is correct we shall find out..if Tuas takes huge jump it says pay them if not it was a mistake if KC drops a bit in offensive explosion, it will say pay them, if AR12 is lost without DA well you see where im going..its not the time to ask the proof will be in how that works out for all 4 teams involved. no one seemed upset Dhop started this and now Buffalo followed suit i mean whos correct,,.?

by your account Buffalos, Cleavland, Miami, AZ, AND the Raiders are really stupid and saying Jerrys a genius. we will go younger and cheaper at WR so letting ac walk was the right decision..:)) now IF Lamb steps up will they pay him..well hed have to have dez like 3 yr run and so far he hasnt..

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They have top 5 QB nothing to compare folks.......move along now!!!

quickccc

Reaction score
I've said several times now, that this is the new trend in the NFL, and what the smart teams are doing. The fact is that wide receiver is the most abundant position in the draft every year. And the smart teams like Green Bay and Kansas City realize this. And they also know that when you pay huge money for your quarterback - as they both do - you can't afford to pay top of the market for his receivers as well. The quarterback has to 'lift up' the level of play of his receivers. Aaron Rodgers has been doing that for years, as Brett Favre did before him. There's a long list of 'good' receivers that they've helped to become 'great' receivers.

Not only did both of these teams NOT set the wide receiver market in salary, but they received top draft picks to replace the players they traded away. And now have yet another draft stocked with receivers in order to replace them. It's the simple rule of supply and demand. When demand outstrips supply, the commodity becomes more valuable, as with quarterbacks. But when there's plenty of supply, the demand and value drop. The smart teams can read the tea leaves.

Correct if i heard wrong, but didn't KC Chiefs actually tried to re-sign Tyrek ..as among the highest paid WR in the NFL, but Tyrek refused and turned it down,..as he insist on wanting
to be THE highest paid WR in the entire NFL.
If that's so then Chiefs despite their cap situation were prepared to try to keep Hill .. but only to a certain extent.

But yes, i agree that with the likes of Rodgers and Mahomes, their respective teams are counting on the QB skill level to elevate the level of the passing game.
But that's the luxury of such HOF caliber QBs, ..do we have that kind of caliber QB here with Dak ?

No doubt the Packers and Chiefs are gonna try to re-stock the WR to attempt to get another version of Adams and Tyrek, and it doesn't have to be pressed to be in first round either.
Now this is where your scouts and personnel crew come in mind and have to deliver.

Creeper

Reaction score

Dallas traded their best WR too, only they got basically nothing for him. The Chiefs got a good haul of draft picks from Miami for Hill. My guess is the Chiefs didn't want to trade Hill but they couldn't pass up the offer. At the same time the Packers and Chiefs have Rodgers and Mahomes at QB. The Packers and Chiefs were probably thinking those two QBs could get the job done with other receivers. I am not sure Dak can unless they load the WR position for him.

Jerry also paid Cooper a couple of years ago. He overpaid him and he just realized it this year. He overpaid to get him too. Cooper was never worth a 1st round pick. Jerry should have told the Raiders no thanks. The year the Cowboys watched the Raiders use the pick they got from Dallas for Cooper, the Cowboys could have drafted Deebo Samuel or DK Metcalf. I don't think Deebo is a better receiver than Cooper, but he get more done with the tools he has because he also has fight in him.

I have been complaining about the way the Cowboys handled the Cooper trade (and the Collins cut) and maybe there is a silver lining in all of this. Maybe Jerry finally concluded that Cooper, while a good WR, is not a winner. He lacks that swagger that Jimmy Johnson talks about. Maybe Jerry has finally realized that players need the intangibles that separate them from all the other good players in the league. If this is the case, then maybe Jerry has had a breakthrough that in the long run will result in a more competitive team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct if i heard wrong, but didn't KC Chiefs actually tried to re-sign Tyrek ..as among the highest paid WR in the NFL, but Tyrek refused and turned it down,..as he insist on wanting
to be THE highest paid WR in the entire NFL.
If that's so then Chiefs despite their cap situation were prepared to try to keep Hill .. but only to a certain extent.

But yes, i agree that with the likes of Rodgers and Mahomes, their respective teams are counting on the QB skill level to elevate the level of the passing game.
But that's the luxury of such HOF caliber QBs, ..do we have that kind of caliber QB here with Dak ?

No doubt the Packers and Chiefs are gonna try to re-stock the WR to attempt to get another version of Adams and Tyrek, and it doesn't have to be pressed to be in first round either.
Now this is where your scouts and personnel crew come in mind and have to deliver.

Yes. I believe that both teams initially tried to keep those receivers but both had a line they weren’t willing to cross as well.

And I have this awful feeling that the Chiefs take my pet cat Calvin Austin III in round two to replace Hill.

kskboys

Reaction score
You don't win extra points for staying under the salary cap. Aggressive teams have been winning the superbowls lately, not penny pinching teams. if you're not replacing that talent that you lost, what's the point of all of this 'cap management'?
And teams that are overpaying are not winning super bowls. More examples of that.

quickccc

Reaction score
And teams that are overpaying are not winning super bowls. More examples of that.

Define overpaying.
Rams not only acquiring stud, big name players but they have sizeable contracts too. Stafford, Donald, Ramsey, now Wagner, ..and they
were not afraid to pick up OJ Beckham off waivers, or trade for Von Miller albeit just for one season.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Why would Dallas want to learn from the Packers?! They've only had one Superbowl in Wodgers 16 year tenure. Courtesy of yours truly, McCarthy.

The Chiefs have a great HC in Reid. In both cases it's certainly not the quarterback being "elite" lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cowboys let go of their Mega star WR too, .. instead of continuing to pay out the amount of money they initially re-signed him up for.

So can other NFL teams learn from us too,... ? ;)
that what i said as well.

plasticman

Reaction score
Learn from the Chiefs? How to win a SB every 50 years?

I think Jerry has that down.

visionary

Reaction score

Absolutely nothing
They’re trying to win SBs, we’re trying to make money

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Packers offered more than what the Raiders offered but Davante decided to move on. Money is not the reason Adams left. He just purchased a 12 million dollar house in Vegas. He wanted to play at home. Teh Packers did not trade him because they did not want to pay him.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Just looked on this thread. People on here don't think Rodgers and Mahones are " elite". McCarthy being a great coach? This year is going to be a fun one with the nonsense spouted on here recently.
Andy Read couldn't win a SB until Mahones turned up and has managed to stop him winning another since.
I am lost for words o some of this stuff.

Motorola

Reaction score
Just looked on this thread. People on here don't think Rodgers and Mahones are " elite". McCarthy being a great coach? This year is going to be a fun one with the nonsense spouted on here recently.
Andy Read couldn't win a SB until Mahones turned up and has managed to stop him winning another since.
I am lost for words o some of this stuff.
'JUMBO69' - Cowboys Zone is a hodgepodge of serious analytical followers, diehard faithful, disillusioned multitude, goading trolls, and lighthearted devotees...all resolute in weighing in about this NFL football team and franchise on a regular basis.