Can we move Bell back to safety

morasp

Reaction score
Defensive lineups are situational with base, nickel, and dime packages. You really need to define the players for each one. It is likely that Zimmer will play more snaps with the base 4-3 lineup than DQ did which shouldn't include Bell.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Defensive lineups are situational with base, nickel, and dime packages. You really need to define the players for each one. It is likely that Zimmer will play more snaps with the base 4-3 lineup than DQ did which shouldn't include Bell.
can't be in a 4-3 with teams in passing formations, that's their recipe for success

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you're dominating my notifications :facepalm:
give-a-damn-im-attempting-to-give-a-damn.gif

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope Zimmer never gets desperate and plays a small player at such a key position on the football field. We love that Bell has brought this team being an undrafted player. With that said, I think he would be better served at safety. I hope I speak for everyone in saying this, MOVE HIM BACK!!! Please give your thoughts
I have zero problem with him as a LB as long as he is a situational player. He certainly isn't a MLB, but to play a role on passing or longer distance downs he is an asset. As a safety he would rarely see the field.

Robster8989

Reaction score
Desperate? There was nothing desperate about it!
There was an article on the DC.com website back in late October or November. Quinn advocated bringing Bell in specifically to be converted for the coverage WiLL LB in nickel a dime packages. He played at 215 last season which is 2lbs lighter than Overshown’s playing weight in college who many think is the coming savior. Did they do a poor job covering themselves in the early down base packages at the position with Lve… yes, but there was nothing desperate about it… he was damn good, especially in the coverage duties he was brought in for!
This is correct.
Look Bell is sort of a Hybrid.
He can play both positions.
He played well overall last year, but after LVE went down, he was asked to step in and be a 3 down LB, and had to play in run packages, and sometimes he got blown out due to his size.
In previous days, there were 3 LB's. Mike, Sam and Will.
Bell is a great Will. He covers like a S but has some size and pop to him.
Remember we tried this with Keanu Neal a few years back, converting a big S into a LB.
In today's game, teams basically have traded the 3rd LB for another DB, so there are just 2 LBs on the field, so a guy like Bell (at 210-215) will be great in coverage, but he may get blown out at times in the run game. I think LVE and Clark were eating most of these snaps early in the season, but when LVE went down, Bell stepped in and played more. It's a testament to him that he played as well as he did. It was bad planning on the front office for not having an LVE backup plan, especially given the injury concern.
Don't blame Bell, the young man stepped in and played very well.
I'm hoping we address LB in the draft. I like Tommy Eichenberg in the 4th-5th myself.
Then we'd have Kendricks, Clark, Overshown and Eichenberg at LB, and Wilson, Hooker, Thomas and Muk at S, and Bell could be a hybrid LB/S, in the mix at both positions. A player like that can get snaps at both positions, and can even save us a roster spot, as he'd be both a 5th S and a 5th LB. I'm high on Bell.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I don't love him in space. Not sure he's a NFL caliber Safety.

As a "linebacker" he was good in pass coverage, especially short passes in front of him. He was not great against the run and he struggled in deeper coverages.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope Zimmer never gets desperate and plays a small player at such a key position on the football field. We love that Bell has brought this team being an undrafted player. With that said, I think he would be better served at safety. I hope I speak for everyone in saying this, MOVE HIM BACK!!! Please give your thoughts
Zimmer already said Bell will move back to S. Where have you been or rehashing old news? :muttley:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Zimmer already said Bell will move back to S. Where have you been or rehashing old news? :muttley:
Hey hey be nice to me, someone wrote a story about it and I said HEY why not get the THOUGHTS of some great people on the forum :facepalm:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I have zero problem with him as a LB as long as he is a situational player. He certainly isn't a MLB, but to play a role on passing or longer distance downs he is an asset. As a safety he would rarely see the field.
Totally agree with this

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's hope we draft a LB or two that will allow them to move Bell back to safety.
he was GREAT earlier in a game I can't remember what game it was I think it was the Giants game or something, he played extremely well, and that to me solidified his name in as a full time LB until we seemingly acted DESPERATE as if we couldn't get more LB help in here. When we played against running teams it was a PROBLEM that we had such a small LB in there, kudos to the teams that schemed against us to run right at him.

We also brought in rashaan Evans who was a bigger LB we could have given him more of a shot
Is Evens still signed or was that a 1-year deal?

exciter

Reaction score
he was GREAT earlier in a game I can't remember what game it was I think it was the Giants game or something, he played extremely well, and that to me solidified his name in as a full time LB until we seemingly acted DESPERATE as if we couldn't get more LB help in here. When we played against running teams it was a PROBLEM that we had such a small LB in there, kudos to the teams that schemed against us to run right at him.

We also brought in rashaan Evans who was a bigger LB we could have given him more of a shot
Again, how is it desperate when it was the plan all along?
Evans was horrible!

75boyz

Reaction score
When the visiting #7 seed's QB is interviewed by our star defender on his podcast as to answering the question on how they won...
He said the tape showed we were trying to play safeties at linebacker and of course, they were gonna run all day at that.

Just the truth, plain and simple.

So yes, Bell should play safety.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There are some here that will tell you that the reason Bell went undrafted was for a reason, well the reason was not from his physical attributes, Bell went undrafted because he came from a very small school.
Bell has all the tools to be a very good safety in Zimmers scheme, mark my words.
Florida A&M my friend.
My nick name for Bell going forward will be ... "Thumper".

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
A better question might be can he put on 20lbs without being stuck in cement.

75boyz

Reaction score
This is correct.
Look Bell is sort of a Hybrid.
He can play both positions.
He played well overall last year, but after LVE went down, he was asked to step in and be a 3 down LB, and had to play in run packages, and sometimes he got blown out due to his size.
In previous days, there were 3 LB's. Mike, Sam and Will.
Bell is a great Will. He covers like a S but has some size and pop to him.
Remember we tried this with Keanu Neal a few years back, converting a big S into a LB.
In today's game, teams basically have traded the 3rd LB for another DB, so there are just 2 LBs on the field, so a guy like Bell (at 210-215) will be great in coverage, but he may get blown out at times in the run game. I think LVE and Clark were eating most of these snaps early in the season, but when LVE went down, Bell stepped in and played more. It's a testament to him that he played as well as he did. It was bad planning on the front office for not having an LVE backup plan, especially given the injury concern.
Don't blame Bell, the young man stepped in and played very well.
I'm hoping we address LB in the draft. I like Tommy Eichenberg in the 4th-5th myself.
Then we'd have Kendricks, Clark, Overshown and Eichenberg at LB, and Wilson, Hooker, Thomas and Muk at S, and Bell could be a hybrid LB/S, in the mix at both positions. A player like that can get snaps at both positions, and can even save us a roster spot, as he'd be both a 5th S and a 5th LB. I'm high on Bell.
Nice post.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Zimm has already indicated he wants Bell back where he belongs. It was foolish to play him as a run stopping LB, being the human speed bump. I am sure it was the FO who decided they didn't need real LBs and DQ had no choice. He has always had some good big LBs in his Seattle and Atlanta days. Another idiotic move by Jerry/Stephen.