Can we move forward?

morat1959

Reaction score
We still have Jason and Jerry. Not much is going to change. You can wrap up a turd in all sorts of wrapping paper but at the end of the day, it's still a turd. We have a long standing pattern of failure with Jerry over the last 20 years. This season is about as good as it is ever going to get with him until he changes his philosophy. Which he won't.
Nail on the head!

Kaiser

Reaction score
Can we stop with the hand wringing about past failures?

There is an old joke about the guy that wins the lottery and complains about having to pay the taxes on it. Half the people on this forum would win the lottery and blame Jason Garrett for the taxes.

Most of what we have in place now - players, coaches and front office - are good but not great. That is how you win in the parity-ball era of the Salary Cap NFL. There were three good teams in the NFL this year and two of those are in that category because they had elite QBs (both 40 years old) with elite Head Coaches. Neither are guaranteed to stay together much longer.

The third team is the Rams, who killed our defense but fell flat in the Super Bowl and scored three points. And any objective observer would say the core of the Cowboys is younger and more talented.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I'm entirely capable of discussing both, and allowing others to talk about whatever interests them. Nobody has the job of being a Content Censor here, and nobody should.

I'm cautiously optimistic about what Kellen Moore might bring, and I'm definitely happy that it's another voice other than Scott Linehan, who I felt was stale and stubborn and called the game he wanted, rather than playing to the team's strengths.

I liked what I heard from Frederick talking about Moore's creativity and play designs. It sounds like he's been drawling them up for years. And if he can bring that creativity to this team? I'm all for it!

What I would like to see is more personal motion and giving defense's more to think about. I think the old offense was too predictable and gave defense's too much of an advantage whatever gets us away from "we do what we do" would be great in my opinion.
I agree. What a dumb philosophy in today’s NFL, “we do what we do”. Belicheat probably laughs his butt off every time they kick our butt. Could you ever hear Belicheat saying that? Garrett sounds like a mediocre High School coach when he says that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. What a dumb philosophy in today’s NFL, “we do what we do”. Belicheat probably laughs his butt off every time they kick our butt. Could you ever hear Belicheat saying that? Garrett sounds like a mediocre High School coach when he says that.

Meanwhile, Belicheck is actually capable of adjusting his strategy based on his opponent, while winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

But yea, we do what we do...
:facepalm:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Meanwhile, Belicheck is actually capable of adjusting his strategy based on his opponent, while winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

But yea, we do what we do...
:facepalm:
what we do? lol...glad you ask. SQUARE PEG ROUND HOLE...year after year after year...expecting a better result.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Doomed is too harsh a word. Doomed is when you have a family and you cant meet your house payment or keep your lights on. So lets walk that back. Th team just has a huge monkey on its back and its name is Jason Garrett/Jerry Jones. Its a 2 headed monster of sorts. Doesn't mean we are doomed, it just means we have a tougher road in front of us.Not only do we need to worry about battling our weekly opponent,but we are battling ourselves. Makes it hard to take the next step forward when you have those long odds. On the other hand, the future is bright because we have a very talented young team. Coaching and ownership is the bugaboo.
but it wont take long for free agency to dismantle most of this team you can PAY THEM ALL

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I doubt anything is going to change. Kellen Moore as OC will be hyped but will be running the same outdated Jason Garrett offense - it's what Scott Linehan ran here. He certainly didn't carry his offensive philosophy from Detroit over to Dallas.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboy brand has become a parody of itself. Lost its luster because of JJ and the clapper. Winning regains said luster. Change the HC and remove the owner...and let the winning begin.

ESisback

Reaction score
22-23 years now? Team has been a complete joke for 2 decades and you want us just to ignore it? lol please
Suit yourself! Waste time stressing out over a game, something meant to be fun. Scream and carry on over something you have no control of whatsoever, something that has little affect on your financial well being. Yeah, I get it, we have standards. I’d favor a coaching change too, but I still hold my head up. I’m not ashamed or embarrassed AT ALL! I’m frustrated about the 23 year Super Bowl drought too, but “complete joke” is an overreaction.

nobody

Reaction score
I'm sure that after the draft, I'll muster some more optimism, but as it stands I can't. Jerry keeps being Jerry and I fear that as long as he remains GM and/or continues to meddle and castrate the HC position, this team is going to keep failing to get to the big game.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Can we stop with the hand wringing about past failures? Can we instead discuss the future? Is anyone intrigued by Kellen Moore as OC? How do you think he’ll change things? Should we be excited, or are we doomed?

Tip ‘o the cap to Stasheroo, who inspired this thread!

We'll discuss both as we see fit. And there has been a ton of threads already committed to Kellen Moore. Not like nobody is talking about the future.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am intrigued to see several things with Moore as the OC. I don't know how much he will change the play book or how much leeway he has with it. I hope he has a more consistent OL because that affects the play calling more than anything else.

I knew about this football mentality before they hired him as the QBC as I'd heard Gruden and Chris Peterson speak about his understanding of the game as being his real mojo. Can that translate to the NFL and this offense with Prescott as his trigger man. Will he look at Elliott like Payton looks at Kamara and get the ball into his hands on more passing plays and out in space?

I think his biggest obstacle will be the expectations. He's been touted as Stephen Hawking in a leather helmet, like he's the next coming of Bill Walsh. I do not think he will be the best OC in the NFL but he will be better than what they had and it cannot hurt having some young blood closer to the players in age and not far removed from being one of them.

What I do not get is anyone getting on the negative side of this before the guy even calls his first game. Just because the Joneses are involved doesn't make it a bad thing. They've had some good coaches. He could be a real diamond in the rough, time will tell.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm glad for the change, but to be honest If Moore is going to be a good OC I don't see it happening from jump, it very well could take half the season.

The question is, will it be enough?

Last edited:

Beaker42

Reaction score
If I knew that the past would not impact the future, I just might get excited about a new OC being in there....the second they announced Moore when there were hints that they were waiting for the conference championships to end to name their OC from one of those 4 teams, it reeks of Garrett involvement

so, to answer the OP question, I am intrigued by Moore - I hope to be excited after week #1 of the NFL season is over and we are 1-0 after scoring 30+ points (heck, I would be OK with a 24-17 win as long as the offense doesn't look like "garrett")
It can’t look like Linny either.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As long as Garrett is here you won’t see a lot of optimism.

A decade of his mediocrity with no playoff success will do that to you.

I like the roster but I’ve liked several of his rosters. That’s where my hope comes from. The players.

Garrett will do nothing.
You'll see plenty of optimism a year from now, once we have our sixth Lombardi!