Can we move forward?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
JJ has made Garrett a lame duck coach this year-- and that simply is setting him up for failure IMO. If he wants to fire him-- then fire him. JJ has shrouded the year in uncertainty and confusion already.

Moore seems like a bright kid-- but there is no track record there to consider. I would have loved to see a stronger hire at OC-- someone with some skins on the wall-- but this FO rolls with the "we like our guys" philosophy. They could be right about Kellen-- he is simply an unknown at this point. I'll see how he performs before coming to a conclusion, although he is already part of a funky coaching atmosphere with no clear lines of authority-- so he is starting behind the 8 ball IMO.

Defense looks great-- give me a solid S and DT in the draft and I am even more stoked. I love Zeke. T Fred coming back could be huge. Dak has flaws, but he is playing for a contract so I expect a good year out of him.

We have a tough schedule in front of us-- so we could be a better team but have a worse record. With all things considered--- this team looks like a wildcard team that has a chance for the NFCE title again-- but is still not capable of contending with the super power teams for a championship.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
JJ has made Garrett a lame duck coach this year-- and that simply is setting him up for failure IMO. If he wants to fire him-- then fire him. JJ has shrouded the year in uncertainty and confusion already.

Moore seems like a bright kid-- but there is no track record there to consider. I would have loved to see a stronger hire at OC-- someone with some skins on the wall-- but this FO rolls with the "we like our guys" philosophy. They could be right about Kellen-- he is simply an unknown at this point. I'll see how he performs before coming to a conclusion, although he is already part of a funky coaching atmosphere with no clear lines of authority-- so he is starting behind the 8 ball IMO.

Defense looks great-- give me a solid S and DT in the draft and I am even more stoked. I love Zeke. T Fred coming back could be huge. Dak has flaws, but he is playing for a contract so I expect a good year out of him.

We have a tough schedule in front of us-- so we could be a better team but have a worse record. With all things considered--- this team looks like a wildcard team that has a chance for the NFCE title again-- but is still not capable of contending with the super power teams for a championship.
Good post. With respect, though, I would offer that JG being a lame duck is no different than any other coach in the last year of his contract. You could argue that, for the first time, JG is feeling real heat to hold his job.

What disturbs me is the reality TV approach to FO managing. It is really a farce how such key decisions are played out in themedia.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post. With respect, though, I would offer that JG being a lame duck is no different than any other coach in the last year of his contract. You could argue that, for the first time, JG is feeling real heat to hold his job.

What disturbs me is the reality TV approach to FO managing. It is really a farce how such key decisions are played out in themedia.

It truly is. Somehow, it's a bad thing to have a head coach prove himself? According to the media, a head coach should always have years remaining on their contract and get paid even after they're fired. That's business as usual and the way it's always done. Standard operating procedure is when an owner is paying out the remainder of a contract when things haven't worked out.

I give both Jones and Garrett credit for getting out ahead of this thing at the NFL Honors event. I'm sure they will be asked about it again and again, but I'd simply tell them to go back to the first time I answered the questions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My own opinion is that is if he could have gotten someone better? He would have fired him. But it didn't work out with Payton this year so he'll wait one more year before deciding on him, Lincoln Riley, or Kris Richard. Unless of course Garrett has a great season and earns that extension for himself.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
My own opinion is that is if he could have gotten someone better? He would have fired him. But it didn't work out with Payton this year so he'll wait one more year before deciding on him, Lincoln Riley, or Kris Richard. Unless of course Garrett has a great season and earns that extension for himself.

Sensible. I just don't see how Garrett will be able to survive unless they come storming out of the gates and establish themselves as an NFC contender. Any stumbles-- any discord or grumbling-- and players will start to tune him out because they know he will be gone and they will get a new HC the following year. The safety net has been removed for sure. Gonna be the main storyline as the year takes shape.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Yah. JJ can't help but put his foot in his mouth. My only frustration is that unless JG absolutely crushes it-- we are wasting 2019 in futility. Then 2020 will be a transition year. Doubt we compete at that point. 2021 looks to be when we would be realistically contending again barring a "catch lightning in a bottle" kind of year where everything just comes together for us.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sensible. I just don't see how Garrett will be able to survive unless they come storming out of the gates and establish themselves as an NFC contender. Any stumbles-- any discord or grumbling-- and players will start to tune him out because they know he will be gone and they will get a new HC the following year. The safety net has been removed for sure. Gonna be the main storyline as the year takes shape.

And I have no problem whatsoever with that. Let's face it, Jerry Jones has been incredibly patient with Jason Garrett and the process. More patient than any other owner would ever be. And he's been roundly criticized for having too much patience. But even he has run out of it. It's been used up.

And while he might have survived this year - again I think for lack of a clearly better alternative more than anything else - he's now at the point of having to earn his return. He's being held to the ultimate accountability in 2019, sink or swim. Earn your big extension or punch your ticket out of town.

And I for one, love that. It's just what I have long hoped for - accountability.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
And I have no problem whatsoever with that. Let's face it, Jerry Jones has been incredibly patient with Jason Garrett and the process. More patient than any other owner would ever be. And he's been roundly criticized for having too much patience. But even he has run out of it. It's been used up.

And while he might have survived this year - again I think for lack of a clearly better alternative more than anything else - he's now at the point of having to earn his return. He's being held to the ultimate accountability in 2019, sink or swim. Earn your big extension or punch your ticket out of town.

And I for one, love that. It's just what I have long hoped for - accountability.

I just hate wasting 2019 only to find out what we have all known for years. Garrett is not a championship caliber coach.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be honest CC, the reaction by JJ was probably more of frustration than anything else. He was doing the best he knew how, and I'm sure he felt attacked, and how does everyone react when they feel attacked? Well, not the way Gregg reacts, but still, people don't respond with reason when they feel like they're being ganged up on.....At this point I should mention that I've had a few drinks..... So anyway, if I had spent that much of my own money on a football team, I would certainly not want Joe Plumber telling me how to run things.
Runny, it would be hard but that's why you don't see the other GM's out in the media so much. It is for that very reason, they might get overly reactive to questions, like some coaches do when they've had enough.

And the complaints weren't about his ownership but his choice of the GM. Sorry, but you out yourself out there for the shots, you better be better than that at deflecting them. He showed his true colors and lack of concern for the fans.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just hate wasting 2019 only to find out what we have all known for years. Garrett is not a championship caliber coach.

I can understand that. But when I look at the underwhelming choice of guys that got head coaching jobs I say to myself, "are any of those guys a clear upgrade?" and my answer would have to be no.

I firmly believe that the Joneses reached out to other guys through some back channels and that things just didn't line up for this year. And so they, and we by extension, play out this year and then revisit those talks in 2020.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd leave it up to the guy coming in.

Let's say hypothetically that guy turns out to be Sean Payton.

I'd like the table to be set where it's left up to him whether he keeps Kellen Moore as his own offensive coordinator after seeing his work in 2019 and sitting down to meet with him. And I would like that same flexibility to extend to the quarterback position as well. Rather than telling the next guy "Dak has been signed to a 5-year extension, he's your quarterback", let the next guy decide if he wants to go that route or not. I think the job has a lot more appeal when you have the option to decide.

The same if it might turn out to be Kris Richard if other options don't present themselves.
If it is hypothetically Payton, odds are he's already been in on the discussion about Moore and Richard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it is hypothetically Payton, odds are he's already been in on the discussion about Moore and Richard.

Exactly right. If talks actually went that far. Keep in mind that there are rules regarding tampering, especially with another team's head coach. And the league already launched an investigation because some Cowboys assistants casually mentioned to Earl Thomas about "coming to town". Given Jerry Jones recent dealings with Roger Goodell, I'm sure the league would love to nail him and the Cowboys on a big tampering charge and effectively block any chance of Payton returning.

In fact, both of those guys have been on the league's bad side in the past, and given that officiating debacle, Payton is again. Don't want to give them any ammo.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly right. If talks actually went that far. Keep in mind that there are rules regarding tampering, especially with another team's head coach. And the league already launched an investigation because some Cowboys assistants casually mentioned to Earl Thomas about "coming to town". Given Jerry Jones recent dealings with Roger Goodell, I'm sure the league would love to nail him and the Cowboys on a big tampering charge and effectively block any chance of Payton returning.

In fact, both of those guys have been on the league's bad side in the past, and given that officiating debacle, Payton is again. Don't want to give them any ammo.
Neither one of these guys has shown the rules bother them. And neither would blow the whistle on the other.

Ya know, had NO won the SB, things might have already moved in that direction but he couldn't leave under those circumstances and Moore would have Payton to tutor him. All OC's need that, Payton needed that in NY and instead, got demoted.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither one of these guys has shown the rules bother them. And neither would blow the whistle on the other.

Of course not, but these things are traceable, especially if it's anything more than a one-time, brief conversation. Let's not be naive.

Ya know, had NO won the SB, things might have already moved in that direction but he couldn't leave under those circumstances and Moore would have Payton to tutor him. All OC's need that, Payton needed that in NY and instead, got demoted.

That's my thinking, if they had won, I think both Brees and Payton might have moved on. The way it ended, both are coming back for one more year.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I can understand that. But when I look at the underwhelming choice of guys that got head coaching jobs I say to myself, "are any of those guys a clear upgrade?" and my answer would have to be no.

I firmly believe that the Joneses reached out to other guys through some back channels and that things just didn't line up for this year. And so they, and we by extension, play out this year and then revisit those talks in 2020.

Yep

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The problem is there’s no evidence Jerry’s ready to bring in a more proven HC who’d take more of the credit away from him if we had more success.

Unless the argument is Jerry’s ready to give up his pursuit to prove everyone wrong?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course not, but these things are traceable, especially if it's anything more than a one-time, brief conversation. Let's not be naive.

That's my thinking, if they had won, I think both Brees and Payton might have moved on. The way it ended, both are coming back for one more year.
Not naïve at all but Booger would be discrete as Payton would. Booger does talk a lot but he caught the entire football planet off guard with the Parcells deal. He is not risking losing picks but does anyone think they haven't had discussions about his future?

And word was, Payton's wife broke all of here nails when they were dug into I-45 as they left Dallas. But, I haven't heard more, she could be more into online shopping now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s really tough to be a championship caliber HC without a championship caliber team.

For some reason we have fans who see this current roster as a Super Bowl team?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Peyton has had a HOF QB for what, about 10 years now with only 1 SB. How’s he going to do here with an average QB like Dak?