Can we move forward?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'm entirely capable of discussing both, and allowing others to talk about whatever interests them. Nobody has the job of being a Content Censor here, and nobody should.

I'm cautiously optimistic about what Kellen Moore might bring, and I'm definitely happy that it's another voice other than Scott Linehan, who I felt was stale and stubborn and called the game he wanted, rather than playing to the team's strengths.

I liked what I heard from Frederick talking about Moore's creativity and play designs. It sounds like he's been drawling them up for years. And if he can bring that creativity to this team? I'm all for it!

What I would like to see is more personal motion and giving defense's more to think about. I think the old offense was too predictable and gave defense's too much of an advantage whatever gets us away from "we do what we do" would be great in my opinion.
tenor.gif

Banned one year!
Wait... that was for someone else.

Good post. Yeah...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure that after the draft, I'll muster some more optimism, but as it stands I can't. Jerry keeps being Jerry and I fear that as long as he remains GM and/or continues to meddle and castrate the HC position, this team is going to keep failing to get to the big game.
There is that and it permeates everything and it is a chore sometimes to stay optimistic and while I do my best to avoid exposure to him, it gets harder when he's more out there than ever before and really doing questionable things...….just because he can.

Some years back, his reaction to a question was the tell on him and what this team would be like with him as the decision maker. When asked about the criticism of him as the GM, he reared back with a look of defiance and barked "let them plop down 140M of their own money". In that one reaction was the reason why it is so frustrating. Most of the other owners do look upon their teams as a representative of their cities and fans and while they do own them, they do not have that attitude and he is open with it. "This is mine and I'll do whatever I want to do with it". If they're not doing well, they respond and make changes in order to try and do better. They don't react with defiance and pompous proprietorship. He could care less about the storied history and legion of fans made before he was on the scene, the only history he is interested in is his story.

Kellen Moore doesn't get a break from some because Booger & Son hired him and then Booger doubled down by putting him in a spot no coach in the history of the NFL has been in, especially a first time coordinator, an open invitation to do an end run on his HC. I know he was just shooting off his mouth, as usual, but does he have any idea what a burden he's put on this young coach? If I wasn't a Kellen Moore fan, I would be now just because of what's been done to him. He might just have the toughest and most light shining job in the league.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Can we stop with the hand wringing about past failures? Can we instead discuss the future? Is anyone intrigued by Kellen Moore as OC? How do you think he’ll change things? Should we be excited, or are we doomed?

Tip ‘o the cap to Stasheroo, who inspired this thread!
I'm alreasy keyboard scoutin'!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We still have Jason and Jerry. Not much is going to change. You can wrap up a turd in all sorts of wrapping paper but at the end of the day, it's still a turd. We have a long standing pattern of failure with Jerry over the last 20 years. This season is about as good as it is ever going to get with him until he changes his philosophy. Which he won't.
Changes what philosophy? Does he have one or is that a chameleon every season. Does he have a blueprint, a plan, or since there are no consequences, does he even bother with that?

CWR

Reaction score
Can we stop with the hand wringing about past failures? Can we instead discuss the future? Is anyone intrigued by Kellen Moore as OC? How do you think he’ll change things? Should we be excited, or are we doomed?

Tip ‘o the cap to Stasheroo, who inspired this thread!

Yes sir! I cant wait to see our offense with Tfred healthy and a full offseason of Dak and Coop.....and Gallup....and Jarwin/Schultz.

I think our defense will be better as well.

Im holding my breath that Kellen Moore makes some changes.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There is that and it permeates everything and it is a chore sometimes to stay optimistic and while I do my best to avoid exposure to him, it gets harder when he's more out there than ever before and really doing questionable things...….just because he can.

Some years back, his reaction to a question was the tell on him and what this team would be like with him as the decision maker. When asked about the criticism of him as the GM, he reared back with a look of defiance and barked "let them plop down 140M of their own money". In that one reaction was the reason why it is so frustrating. Most of the other owners do look upon their teams as a representative of their cities and fans and while they do own them, they do not have that attitude and he is open with it. "This is mine and I'll do whatever I want to do with it". If they're not doing well, they respond and make changes in order to try and do better. They don't react with defiance and pompous proprietorship. He could care less about the storied history and legion of fans made before he was on the scene, the only history he is interested in is his story.

Kellen Moore doesn't get a break from some because Booger & Son hired him and then Booger doubled down by putting him in a spot no coach in the history of the NFL has been in, especially a first time coordinator, an open invitation to do an end run on his HC. I know he was just shooting off his mouth, as usual, but does he have any idea what a burden he's put on this young coach? If I wasn't a Kellen Moore fan, I would be now just because of what's been done to him. He might just have the toughest and most light shining job in the league.
To be honest CC, the reaction by JJ was probably more of frustration than anything else. He was doing the best he knew how, and I'm sure he felt attacked, and how does everyone react when they feel attacked? Well, not the way Gregg reacts, but still, people don't respond with reason when they feel like they're being ganged up on.....At this point I should mention that I've had a few drinks..... So anyway, if I had spent that much of my own money on a football team, I would certainly not want Joe Plumber telling me how to run things.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yes sir! I cant wait to see our offense with Tfred healthy and a full offseason of Dak and Coop.....and Gallup....and Jarwin/Schultz.

I think our defense will be better as well.

Im holding my breath that Kellen Moore makes some changes.
Hold your breath for the off-season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To be honest CC, the reaction by JJ was probably more of frustration than anything else. He was doing the best he knew how, and I'm sure he felt attacked, and how does everyone react when they feel attacked? Well, not the way Gregg reacts, but still, people don't respond with reason when they feel like they're being ganged up on.....At this point I should mention that I've had a few drinks..... So anyway, if I had spent that much of my own money on a football team, I would certainly not want Joe Plumber telling me how to run things.
It wasn’t just frustration. His intent was to promote and defend his way appealing to the fans. He intently placed himself in the fire and results deserved the criticism especially if it was “the best he knew how”.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Looking back is only to learn, never to dwell, and you have to be aware that looking back also creates more past from the present every second, so it needs to be done efficiently.

Lot of problems, lot of good. Moore is quite simply an unknown variable. I can see the reasoning that it'd probably be difficult to get a top OC in here with Garrett coaching for his life.

We'll see. We have a pretty solid amount of young talent, and if we can eke out some more guys this year we're in an enviable position as far as young talent and cap space.

So, not really too worried about it. I'll be more annoyed if they pooch the draft. But, I like the potential of the general make up of our team. I think Jerry would probably try and get the best coach he could if Garrett can't do it, because his own mortality is starting to creep in.

Hope Moore does succeed. I have no idea though. What do you do with Moore if he's actually a good coach and Jason doesn't earn his extension? Ha. Yeah, I don't know. Going to be an interesting year.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
“You never can truly move forward unless you stare at the past.” — I’m pretty sure Trailer Park Boys

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Changes what philosophy? Does he have one or is that a chameleon every season. Does he have a blueprint, a plan, or since there are no consequences, does he even bother with that?
Right! Moore doesn’t bring anything I’m aware of.

He’s basically going to be an extension of Garrett and serve as another scapegoat if needed.

But some fans were so sold Linehan was the core issue they’d take any change. Jerry is basically just satisfying the Lynch Mob and Super Bowl or Bust crowd with someone’s head.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The real positive is this season was the greatest comeback in Cowboys history to make the playoffs. We’d never been below .5oo midseason to win division or make the playoffs. Truly remarkable!!

A season few predicted we’d win division or make the playoffs. And most at 3-5 predicted a total collapse. But a major risk by Jerry paid off and Garrett made the most of it.

We overcame a below average to average QB and 22nd ranked offense with an emerging top 10 defense to win our last 7 of 8 games even winning one playoff game.

About as good as it gets in this Jerry puppet era.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Right! Moore doesn’t bring anything I’m aware of.

He’s basically going to be an extension of Garrett and serve as another scapegoat if needed.

But some fans were so sold Linehan was the core issue they’d take any change. Jerry is basically just satisfying the Lynch Mob with someone’s head.
Well hopefully, you're on the wrong side of history.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking back is only to learn, never to dwell, and you have to be aware that looking back also creates more past from the present every second, so it needs to be done efficiently.

Lot of problems, lot of good. Moore is quite simply an unknown variable. I can see the reasoning that it'd probably be difficult to get a top OC in here with Garrett coaching for his life.

We'll see. We have a pretty solid amount of young talent, and if we can eke out some more guys this year we're in an enviable position as far as young talent and cap space.

So, not really too worried about it. I'll be more annoyed if they pooch the draft. But, I like the potential of the general make up of our team. I think Jerry would probably try and get the best coach he could if Garrett can't do it, because his own mortality is starting to creep in.

Hope Moore does succeed. I have no idea though. What do you do with Moore if he's actually a good coach and Jason doesn't earn his extension? Ha. Yeah, I don't know. Going to be an interesting year.

I'd leave it up to the guy coming in.

Let's say hypothetically that guy turns out to be Sean Payton.

I'd like the table to be set where it's left up to him whether he keeps Kellen Moore as his own offensive coordinator after seeing his work in 2019 and sitting down to meet with him. And I would like that same flexibility to extend to the quarterback position as well. Rather than telling the next guy "Dak has been signed to a 5-year extension, he's your quarterback", let the next guy decide if he wants to go that route or not. I think the job has a lot more appeal when you have the option to decide.

The same if it might turn out to be Kris Richard if other options don't present themselves.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The answer is we can move forward but not without looking over our shoulder. Our past and recent history is part of our identity. Our success and failures is how we’ve arrived at the present.

Each season is on its own merit but we can’t go into each season wearing new blinders. We still have many of the same characters which are part of the past influencing the future.

The key is building on what we’ve established, the hope they’ll improve adding more support while not losing any key contributors.

Last edited: