Can we really cheer for a high draft pick?

nathanlt

Reaction score
First, it is a sorry state of affairs that we have our season over unless a statistical miracle happens, and it's only November, as some have pointed out. But I can't hope that we lose out just to get a draft pick. We play the Commanders twice, and I've never been one to hope for a double Commanders loss in a season.

If it happens, I'll try to forget it as quickly as possible, I'd at least be ok with it because I know it means we can add the fifth Pro Bowl lineman to the O-line.

Great now, I'm starting to feel sick because I said I'd be ok with losing out. This absolutely stinks! The NFC East has been a great help in getting us to the playoffs so far, not so much helpful when it comes to getting a draft pick.

Nothing is right about this year, when Blandino is fired, Dallas comes through the next draft with ANOTHER three first round talents somehow, this whole season will be a faded memory. Next season will be overloaded with talent, it has to be even more lopsided than this year would have been.

Whaddayathink?

dupree89

Reaction score
I will never cheer for the cowboys to lose but I don't think the team can do any thing about it they are 0 adn7 so far with a backup qb. im just so down over this season

Here is how I handle it. Right now, I hope we lose out. And I will continue to feel that way. But during the 3 hours of each Dallas game, I will be rooting for a win. Once each game is over, and they have lost, I will not be mad. In fact I will be happy. Oh, I will be mad at the coaching staff for being sub-par, and I will be mad at the Brandon Carrs and other players I want off the team...but I won't lose sleep after the losses....I will be at peace knowing that come draft time, I will be glad that we were 3-13, rather than 6-10.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
If we end up at like #6 or #7, what do y'all think of trading down, and picking up an extra 2nd (assuming all the QB's are off the board)?

Just depends on what is being offered. Right now it seems like Goff amd Lynch are sure top 10 choices. Just wait until pro days and you'll see a crap load of GMs who see one flaw and run. Reminds me of Bridgewater and Carr who both looked to be first round QBs.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Here is how I handle it. Right now, I hope we lose out. And I will continue to feel that way. But during the 3 hours of each Dallas game, I will be rooting for a win. Once each game is over, and they have lost, I will not be mad. In fact I will be happy. Oh, I will be mad at the coaching staff for being sub-par, and I will be mad at the Brandon Carrs and other players I want off the team...but I won't lose sleep after the losses....I will be at peace knowing that come draft time, I will be glad that we were 3-13, rather than 6-10.

Thats close to how im lookin at it as well....the only thing that has me stoked right now is potentially beatin the skins on MNF in front of their silly and delusional fans....they are flippin out over bein 1st in the division at 5-6, its pathetic......and, then hey, we're 4-8...sheagles and midgets lose bla bla bla, I still wont get my hopes up, but Ill be stoked to potentially pull off a miracle in GB, help Minny win the North and get a lil revenge for last year.....I wont let myself think beyond that......but like you said, ultimately, its no big deal if we lose every game from here out either..........if we get a top 3 pick, Awesome!! but at 5-11 or 6-10 we'll still get a great spot, and its not like we cant move up if we fall in love with somebody.......

kevm3

Reaction score
It comes down to whether you want to possibly help out this franchise over the long term or do you want to be stuck in 8 and 8 zone. Romo is out for the season and we see how the team looks without him. You need to find that next guy. Getting a higher draft pick doesn't guarantee we find that guy, but at least it gives us a shot at getting some decent talent in the draft. Going 8 and 8 or 7 and 9 and messing up our draft pick would ruin this year.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
The NFL is a business and as business you want your leadership to make the best decision possible to improve said business. With that said, the decision to "tank" and go for the #1 draft pick is the wisest decision in terms of improving the team

AbeBeta

Reaction score
First, it is a sorry state of affairs that we have our season over unless a statistical miracle happens, and it's only November, as some have pointed out. But I can't hope that we lose out just to get a draft pick. We play the Commanders twice, and I've never been one to hope for a double Commanders loss in a season.

If it happens, I'll try to forget it as quickly as possible, I'd at least be ok with it because I know it means we can add the fifth Pro Bowl lineman to the O-line.

Great now, I'm starting to feel sick because I said I'd be ok with losing out. This absolutely stinks! The NFC East has been a great help in getting us to the playoffs so far, not so much helpful when it comes to getting a draft pick.

Nothing is right about this year, when Blandino is fired, Dallas comes through the next draft with ANOTHER three first round talents somehow, this whole season will be a faded memory. Next season will be overloaded with talent, it has to be even more lopsided than this year would have been.

Whaddayathink?

I recall in 2004 fans were screaming because we beat Washington and screwed up our shot at a higher pick. Who'd we end up taking at 11?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Really? Guaranteed ? Based on what will picking 5 spots earlier help the team .. Not sure if I share your confidence

Based on 5 more available players to choose from each round. Based on the return you get if you decide to trade down.

The more top quality players to pick from, the better off you are. At least that's how I think the draft is supposed to work.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
I recall in 2004 fans were screaming because we beat Washington and screwed up our shot at a higher pick. Who'd we end up taking at 11?

Some bum named Demarcus Ware

Just think with top 5 pick we could have chosen such studs as Alex Smith or Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams

Man did we miss out on those guarantees

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I will be actively rooting for a loss every game for the next 5 weeks.
Really? Guaranteed ? Based on what will picking 5 spots earlier help the team .. Not sure if I share your confidence
Based on the way the draft works...It really doesn't need to be explained does it?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is the draft pick we are cheering and losing out for? Any guarantees that because he is a top 5 pick he is a guaranteed franchise player ?

Not but I can guarantee the higher the pick the more options the Cowboys will have of the best talent on their board.

That is far more meaningful to me than a feel good win any day.

I can also guarantee a win Monday night will amount to jack squat. It's meaningless.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Based on 5 more available players to choose from each round. Based on the return you get if you decide to trade down.

The more top quality players to pick from, the better off you are. At least that's how I think the draft is supposed to work.

Normally I wouldn't root for losses because of a better draft pick, but if we can get a franchise QB then it is worth it.

I don't think the difference between 6 and 11 is worth openly rooting for losses but getting to #2 is. Even if they don't love Lynch or Goff, someone might and could offer a bunch of picks.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Not but I can guarantee the higher the pick the more options the Cowboys will have of the best talent on their board.

That is far more meaningful to me than a feel good win any day.

Sure better options ... Or are they ?
Still same front office drafting .. I assume you have a renewed confidence in the Jones then? If I'm not mistaken you haven't been a card member of their fan club as of late .. Change of heart ?