Can we really cheer for a high draft pick?

weaver21

Reaction score
I understand the logic of wanting to tank and get a better draft pick, I truly do get it and honestly it's the smart thing to do. But I just can't root for the Cowboys to lose. I mentally cannot root for my own team to lose every week, even if it's for a better cause. I wish I could sit there and be like most here and root for the Commanders, Packers, Bills and Jets to beat us, it would make things a lot easier. However, I just can't do it. If that makes me a homer or a delusional fan, then whatever.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gross. Give me all the wins the team can get. Draft well whatever your position and instill a winning culture. Teach the players you've got and get a head start on the process starting now.

This hoping for losses and trying to make it up with earlier picks turns my stomach. And pretending it leads to a better organization in the long run is a quitter's fantasy. It leads to the Browns.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I understand the logic of wanting to tank and get a better draft pick, I truly do get it and honestly it's the smart thing to do. But I just can't root for the Cowboys to lose. I mentally cannot root for my own team to lose every week, even if it's for a better cause. I wish I could sit there and be like most here and root for the Commanders, Packers, Bills and Jets to beat us, it would make things a lot easier. However, I just can't do it. If that makes me a homer or a delusional fan, then whatever.

Highest possible draft pick, hopefully is a better future. To me, that's a win.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
First, it is a sorry state of affairs that we have our season over unless a statistical miracle happens, and it's only November, as some have pointed out. But I can't hope that we lose out just to get a draft pick. We play the Commanders twice, and I've never been one to hope for a double Commanders loss in a season.

If it happens, I'll try to forget it as quickly as possible, I'd at least be ok with it because I know it means we can add the fifth Pro Bowl lineman to the O-line.

Great now, I'm starting to feel sick because I said I'd be ok with losing out. This absolutely stinks! The NFC East has been a great help in getting us to the playoffs so far, not so much helpful when it comes to getting a draft pick.

Nothing is right about this year, when Blandino is fired, Dallas comes through the next draft with ANOTHER three first round talents somehow, this whole season will be a faded memory. Next season will be overloaded with talent, it has to be even more lopsided than this year would have been.

Whaddayathink?

It is a sad state we're in,but unfortunately it's not unfamiliar territory the last 20 years.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Gross. Give me all the wins the team can get. Draft well whatever your position and instill a winning culture. Teach the players you've got and get a head start on the process starting now.

This hoping for losses and trying to make it up with earlier picks turns my stomach. And pretending it leads to a better organization in the long run is a quitter's fantasy. It leads to the Browns.

Ok. So winning out and making the playoffs, only to get blown out. Some fans here are giddy over that.

weaver21

Reaction score
Highest possible draft pick, hopefully is a better future. To me, that's a win.

The Browns have been doing this for years and it's led to nothing for them. Getting a high draft pick doesn't guarantee a better future. I just don't get it. We're all fans of the Dallas Cowboys, yet most people on this board will root for this team to lose and twice to our division rivals nonetheless. How can anyone here mentally and physically root for the freakin' Commanders to beat us?

Pabst

Reaction score
I don't know that I would call it "cheering." I'm simply comfortably numb at this point.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The Browns have been doing this for years and it's led to nothing for them. Getting a high draft pick doesn't guarantee a better future. I just don't get it. We're all fans of the Dallas Cowboys, yet most people on this board will root for this team to lose and twice to our division rivals nonetheless. How can anyone here mentally and physically root for the freakin' Commanders to beat us?

So. Our scouts and others responsible for evaluating the draft don't work for the Browns.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. So winning out and making the playoffs, only to get blown out. Some fans here are giddy over that.

Nobody's giddy over that.

It's just better than losing out and hoping things will magically get better next year because of draft position.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It boggles.

wileedog

Reaction score
But doesn't Jones still own the team? You are basing your logic on that the Jones would make a good top 5 pick ? The same guy that traded up to 6 for Mo ..

Brilliant logic. Jones drafts bad so giving him lower round picks makes no difference. All so we can have some meaningless wins in December.

Tell me, maybe for whatever reason you may believe there is no upside in a higher pick. But what is the real future upside to a win or two in a season that is OVER?

Are you confident in this coaching staff (who most likely isn't going anywhere) that they can coach up a team who lost their last 6 games and a total of 13 all season to start believing they can win ?

Tired of the "need wins for next year" argument. A lot of these guys won't even be here. Many will understand the team lost mostly because of the injuries and lack of QB play. Most of all it will be 9 months from the end of this season until they next play a meaningful game. That is a long time. If there is true talent on this team, and that is a separate discussion, what they win or don't win in December 2015 is completely pointless. Bad teams turn around from terrible finishes all the time when they are infused with actual talent.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Nobody's giddy over that.

It's just better than losing out and hoping things will magically get better next year because of draft position.

Things magically getting better against the top teams in the NFC playoffs with Cassell as our qb is a better option?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
No, drafting terrible leads to the Browns. They have been a total crapfest in the draft for years. That has nothing to do with how many wins they have or some weird "culture of losing" stuff you are ascribing to.

Yup.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Things magically getting better against the top teams in the NFC playoffs with Cassell as our qb is a better option?

Yes. Of course it is.

No, drafting terrible leads to the Browns. They have been a total crapfest in the draft for years. That has nothing to do with how many wins they have or some weird "culture of losing" stuff you are ascribing to.

Then lets just win what we can and agree not to draft terrible. Like good teams like the Packers and Patriots and Ravens do.

And then let's put all this silliness that's leading you guys to root against the Cowboys and for the Commanders in the trash, where it belongs.

I mean, seriously guys. Check your heads.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
The ONLY reasons to root for a high draft pick is if you made a trade with a team for theirs in a previous year, or if you are hoping that your team trades down to stockpile.
Granted, that's just my opinion.

wileedog

Reaction score
Then lets just win what we can and agree not to draft terrible.
Once again, simple logic question. Do the odds of not drafting terrible increase or decrease with a higher draft pick? Cite all of the anectodal stories you want, there isn't a GM anywhere that would voluntarily take a lower drafting order because it "doesn't matter."

And then let's put all this silliness that's leading you guys to root against the Cowboys and for the Commanders in the trash, where it belongs.

I mean, seriously guys. Check your heads.

I'm not rooting for anything, I emotionally checked out on this team when they went 0-7 after Romo went down the first time. The season is/was done.

But I don't have a problem treating the next 5 games like a tryout for next years roster, playing lots of youth and bottom of the roster guys to see what we have, and generally approaching these games as slightly more serious pre-season games. Whether they finish 4-12 or 6-10 and thinking that has some inherent meaning in how the team is going to fare next year is likewise absurd.

I'd rather spend the rest of the season hoping some individual players step up and prove they can be contributors next year than worrying about the W/L record.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once again, simple logic question. Do the odds of not drafting terrible increase or decrease with a higher draft pick? Cite all of the anectodal stories you want, there isn't a GM anywhere that would voluntarily take a lower drafting order because it "doesn't matter."

I'm not rooting for anything, I emotionally checked out on this team when they went 0-7 after Romo went down the first time. The season is/was done.

But I don't have a problem treating the next 5 games like a tryout for next years roster, playing lots of youth and bottom of the roster guys to see what we have, and generally approaching these games as slightly more serious pre-season games. Whether they finish 4-12 or 6-10 and thinking that has some inherent meaning in how the team is going to fare next year is likewise absurd.

I'd rather spend the rest of the season hoping some individual players step up and prove they can be contributors next year than worrying about the W/L record.

It's not absurd at all. Winning organizations win. Losing organizations lose. It's tautological.

There's more to player development than just the draft pick. In some cases, the guy you want falls anyway. In other cases, you might miss out on a Claiborne and get a Wagner, instead. You don't know. It's more important to develop the players you do get properly.

And part of that comes from creating a competitive atmosphere. Nothing worth having comes from losing games that count. And these games prior to elimination still count.