Can we really cheer for a high draft pick?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Really? Guaranteed ? Based on what will picking 5 spots earlier help the team .. Not sure if I share your confidence

We need a QB for the future and the two best ones are likely going in the top 5. If you'd rather not live through another post-Aikman era, you should hope we're in the position to pick one of them. Now, does that mean Dallas will draft a QB? No. They'll probably do something stupid like trade for Manziel. But at least we would've had the opportunity to address the QB position.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If we end up at like #6 or #7, what do y'all think of trading down, and picking up an extra 2nd (assuming all the QB's are off the board)?

What? 3 qb's are projected to go in the top 15. No way all 3 are gonna be gone at 6 or 7.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not but I can guarantee the higher the pick the more options the Cowboys will have of the best talent on their board.

That is far more meaningful to me than a feel good win any day.

I can also guarantee a win Monday night will amount to jack squat. It's meaningless.
I hope Dallas loses every single game left.

Better pick in each round and a softer schedule next year.

Pragmatism.

We only get 16 games a year and 2 left are against WAS. It is a long wait until next year.

If we draft well a Top 10 pick is still a Top 10 pick.

Getting the 2 spot could be worth it though. Tough call.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure better options ... Or are they ?

Yes. It's always better to have more options rather than see a team potentially pick the player you coveted most. I can't believe I actually have to state this.

Still same front office drafting .. I assume you have a renewed confidence in the Jones then? If I'm not mistaken you haven't been a card member of their fan club as of late .. Change of heart ?

I'm trying to understand the logic. Because I want to pick before the other teams rather than after, that means I have a renewed confidence in Jerry Jones.

Seems plausible.

Go Commanders.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Normally I wouldn't root for losses because of a better draft pick, but if we can get a franchise QB then it is worth it.

I don't think the difference between 6 and 11 is worth openly rooting for losses but getting to #2 is. Even if they don't love Lynch or Goff, someone might and could offer a bunch of picks.

Once the season is wasted, I really don't care about the outcomes of the games. When you're done for the year, I think you should revert to training camp mode and find out who's worth keeping next year. If you win, you win. If you lose, you lose. I think it's critically important to get a leg up on evaluating what you need and what you don't need.

I don't know if I will actually "root" for Dallas to lose, but I'll detach myself enough to not care about the loss.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Once the season is wasted, I really don't care about the outcomes of the games. When you're done for the year, I think you should revert to training camp mode and find out who's worth keeping next year. If you win, you win. If you lose, you lose. I think it's critically important to get a leg up on evaluating what you need and what you don't need.

I don't know if I will actually "root" for Dallas to lose, but I'll detach myself enough to not care about the loss.

I get it. I am just tired of losing and looking like crap.

We lost all preseason and everyone said it was OK, no one was getting hurt.

Then the season started and everyone got hurt and we kept losing.

Did I mention I hate losing?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We only get 16 games a year and 2 left are against WAS. It is a long wait until next year.

If we draft well a Top 10 pick is still a Top 10 pick.

Getting the 2 spot could be worth it though. Tough call.

I don't care about that. I'm not into counterproductive wins that cause us to pick later in the draft. My eyes are always on the prize. A championship. A higher pick could help you get there. A win on Monday night won't.

dupree89

Reaction score
I don't care about that. I'm not into counterproductive wins that cause us to pick later in the draft. My eyes are always on the prize. A championship. A higher pick could help you get there. A win on Monday night won't.

Yes sir. You get a Dupree89 "atta boy" for your forward thinking, logical way of looking at things.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
I will be actively rooting for a loss every game for the next 5 weeks.

Based on the way the draft works...It really doesn't need to be explained does it?

Oh please explain it to me .. Please tell me how great top 5 picks like Ronnie brown, Alex smith , jemarcus Russel , Cadillac Williams , Ryan leaf, Blair Thomas , RG3; Sam Bradford ; Justin Blackmon ; Trent Richardson ; etc etc
How did they help their teams being top tier picks
I get it .. Better draft pick "SHOULD" equate to a better choice of better "RATED" players .. More flexibility . Draft movement and value ... Yadda yadda yadda

It does not guarantee that we will be a better team or guaranteed better players .. The draft works ... Sure it does if you have confidence they will draft the right players as well as that those players don't become busts .. No guarantees no matter how you slice it

I would rather root for my team to win games and be ready if they disappoint as they have most of the season .. But I won't cheer for them to lose and believe that will make us better in 2016 ., just doesn't make sense

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Oh please explain it to me .. Please tell me how great top 5 picks like Ronnie brown, Alex smith , jemarcus Russel , Cadillac Williams , Ryan leaf, Blair Thomas , RG3; Sam Bradford ; Justin Blackmon ; Trent Richardson ; etc etc
I get it .. Better draft pick "SHOULD" equate to a better choice of better "RATED" players .. More flexibility . Draft movement and value ... Yadda yadda yadda

It does not guarantee that we will be a better team or guaranteed better players .. The draft works ... Sure it does if you have confidence they will draft the right players as well as that those players don't become busts .. No guarantees no matter how you slice it

I would rather root for my team to win games and be ready if they disappoint as they have most of the season .. But I won't cheer for them to lose and believe that will make us better in 2016 ., just doesn't make sense

You are confusing who was drafted with who they have an opportunity to pick. It's not complicated. You can get the 5th best player on your board or the 10th best player. How is that not obvious? And before you point out "trusting jerry" or some other nonsense, at worst they've been hitting it big with 1st Rd picks for a while now. So yes 5 spots is a big difference in a shallow draft pool.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score

We have been nobodies for 20 years. You want us to continue to be nobodies. We're in position to TRY to get a difference maker, yet you want to stay mediocre. In case you didn't notice, even with Romo, we've been a JAG team over 2 decades. It's time to shake it up. Whether or not we nail a star player doesn't matter, because if we win a couple more game, we could potentially lose out on a player that could actually take us to where I WANT to go. You may like 8-8 and things of that nature, but I don't.

dupree89

Reaction score
You are confusing who was drafted with who they have an opportunity to pick. It's not complicated. You can get the 5th best player on your board or the 10th best player. How is that not obvious? And before you point out "trusting jerry" or some other nonsense, at worst they've been hitting it big with 1st Rd picks for a while now. So yes 5 spots is a big difference in a shallow draft pool.

I am with you. If you asked the 32 GM's this question:
The draft is next week and we're letting you choose between picking 3rd and picking 8th. Which spot do you want?

They would all answer it the same way. And the reasons why are obvious....including greater flexibility and the pick being worth more if they wanted to trade it.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Yes. It's always better to have more options rather than see a team potentially pick the player you coveted most. I can't believe I actually have to state this.

I'm trying to understand the logic. Because I want to pick before the other teams rather than after, that means I have a renewed confidence in Jerry Jones.

Seems plausible.

Go Commanders.

But doesn't Jones still own the team? You are basing your logic on that the Jones would make a good top 5 pick ? The same guy that traded up to 6 for Mo ..
RS ... I get it .. No need to go and pop your eyes out to defend your logic .. I just am stating that it's plausible we get a top draft pick.. Pick a CB or TE with it and don't improve at all... Plus you have a team that ended the season with no positive energy at all ... With a bleak outlook ... Losers who lose start believing they can't win... They just wait and see how they will lose .. Are you confident in this coaching staff (who most likely isn't going anywhere) that they can coach up a team who lost their last 6 games and a total of 13 all season to start believing they can win ?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Everyone laughed at the Knicks who won an extra game or two last year it cost them a top pick.

Well they ended up with Porzingis at 4 and he might be the steal of the draft.

Sometimes luck is better than good.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The two main QB's will not go in the top 5, maybe only Goff goes in the top 10. Wherever Dallas ends up at, they will have a good shot at one of them.

With that said, there are two players that I absolutely take over a QB with that first pick.........Bosa or Nkemdiche(in that order).